Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sram red cassette issue

Options
  • 15-05-2019 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭

Yo.

Dunno if there are any experts here, or if I'll be able to articulate the issue sufficiently, but sure here goes:

Ok, so - sram red ten speed groupset, no problems for about 6 years summer riding. Then last year I was going up a hill and heard a clack and a crunch and I lost all drive to the rear wheel. I presumed it was a lunched freehub but mechanic said it was actually the cassette, that the splines on Sram red are only on the largest sprocket and that it was now slipping and borked.

So I bought a new cassette at not inconsiderable expense, haven't ridden it much at all - as in maybe 5 spins - two last summer and three lately, with the bike having been put away the attic over the winter. But yesterday the same thing happened - clack, crunch, no drive. Mechanic again saying - cassette is for the bin, sram is bad, etc.

I'm surprised and p1ssed off at the failure obviously. Has anyone experienced this issue? Anyone got any understanding of it or solution to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Are the splines on the freehub intact?

Or put another way, did the cassette ridge break or did it gouge the freewheel?

BTW, the cassette grips in two places, outer and inner edges iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

No expert, but I has a Sram Red 10speed cassette on my last bike.
    I never had any issue with it.
    It had long and useful life.
    Mind you, the cost prevented me from replacing it with another Red cassette.
    I made do with a Sram Force cassette.

@Idleater
    I still have my 10 speed red cassette, I've just had a look at it. The splines are only on the largest cog.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Eamonnator wrote: »

I can see that :D:D

Cheers lads yeah, no the wheel and hub are perfect, and you're right about the splines.

If I can try to explain -Inside the inner surface of the cassette, it's pretty much one piece, if you put your finger in the doughnut so to speak the smooth inner cylinder spins independently of the sprockets, I'm not sure that it's supposed to do that. - I wonder should I bring the cassette for a confirmatory diagnosis, I'm loathe to bin it after a mileage to purchase cost ratio of barely 1km per euro :(

I'd be the same as you Eamonn - two bikes in the house running sram red, both groupsets lasted this long with virtually zero issues so on the whole I've been seriously impressed with Sram reliability and longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Have you tested the problem cassette on another wheel?

I've never seen a Sram Red cassette "in the flesh" but based on the description it sounds like the entire cassette is a single unit, no individual rings. If that is the case, then either the cassette splines are slipping on the freehub body (meaning either the cassette splines are knackered or the freehub body spines are knackered, or something is preventing them from mating properly even), the individual rings in the cassette are rotating independently of that inner cog with the splines on it (can that even happen? If so I'd suggest a faulty cassette that might be covered under warranty?), or maybe the freehub itself really is the issue and needs either servicing or replacing.

Testing the cassette on another wheel, and even testing another (non- Sram Red) cassette on the "problem" wheel, might help answer some of those questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭scott1974

I had the same issue a year or two ago, the reason I was told is that the freehub and cassette were both aluminium and melded together.

I went back through the bike shop I bought the groupset and Sram sent me a new cassette with no questions asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I never had any issue with it.
    It had long and useful life.
    Mind you, the cost prevented me from replacing it with another Red cassette.
    I made do with a Sram Force cassette.

@Idleater
    I still have my 10 speed red cassette, I've just had a look at it. The splines are only on the largest cog.

Both my 11 speed Red cassettes grip the free hub on the large cog and also the smallest( which is it's own separate piece)

Cassette is made from three pieces, main body, smallest cog and lock ring. Is the 10 speed different in it's setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

sram_rednew-cassette-143.jpg

I'm a Shimano rider (Ulty and Tigy) but this seems like silly level weight weeny stuff. Can't find a mountain of reports of it happening though so I'm curious as to why you'd have two fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Does it slip on the largest sprocket?

ED E wrote: »
    sram_rednew-cassette-143.jpg

I'm a Shimano rider (Ulty and Tigy) but this seems like silly level weight weeny stuff. Can't find a mountain of reports of it happening though so I'm curious as to why you'd have two fail.

See that inner cylinder inside the sleeve of the cassette. - That spins around. - Is it supposed to?

Lumen wrote: »
    Does it slip on the largest sprocket?

Yeah, it did at the time. But when I took the wheel off at home the cassette just fell off, the threaded end piece had come unscrewed.

I'm not sure how it's "broken" or how it could be, I mean presumably it would take a massive force to shear off the splines completely all around. Much more than my little legs could manage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

fat bloke wrote: »
    Yeah, it did at the time. But when I took the wheel off at home the cassette just fell off, the threaded end piece had come unscrewed.

I'm not sure how it's "broken" or how it could be, I mean presumably it would take a massive force to shear off the splines completely all around. Much more than my little legs could manage.

You can see from the pic that the largest sprocket must rotate with the freehub body because it has the spline things on. So if that's spinning, then so is the freehub body, and so I don't see how the cassette can be "broken".

I don't have a SRAM Red cassette handy to look at it.

See that inner cylinder inside the sleeve of the cassette. - That spins around. - Is it supposed to?

It's cosmetic, doesn't matter what it does I suspect.

Really?

Given that you'd never see it and Sram red's light weight I doubt they'd waste grams on a dirty big metal cylinder in the middle ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Really?

Given that you'd never see it and Sram red's light weight I doubt they'd waste grams on a dirty big metal cylinder in the middle ?!
    I presume it equalises the pressure onto the freehub splines and keeps it in place so to speak. The notches grab where needed.

When you tighten down on the hub its compressing along the plane of the wheel axle, I suppose the cylinder prevents the cassette distorting.

Can you post some pictures fat bloke? Hub and cassette would be cool.

Advertisement