Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is something amiss at Irishgenealogy.ie

Options
  • 05-05-2018 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Has this website been hacked?

I've just tried to log on and got the following message:
    "You have been blocked because of a suspicious activity. We are aware of that."

It came up on a blank page, no logo or any other sign that it is the official site. I haven't been using the site in recent days so the message makes no sense even as a glitch. The wording is also odd.

Has anyone else had the same experience?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I've just logged on without any issue.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

You have been blocked because of a suspicious activity. We are aware of that.

Still giving me this message

Still having no issue just now.

Suggestion on Facebook to use this direct link - https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

Maybe clear your history first just to be sure.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tenterfields

Thanks Hermy, the link worked fine. I cleared my history but I'm still getting the nessage if I try to log on using the normal address. It seems to me there has been some form of interference with the site. I wonder if the site admins know.

Claire Santry posted about it [same issue or something similar?] on Thursday at Irish Genealogy News.
    The NAI has tweeted that it is aware of the problem and is trying to solve it as quickly as possible.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I missed Claire’s post but she was talking about the National Archives sites not irishgenealogy.ie .Can you still access the latter?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If I just go to the page directly, it gives the suspicious message, but from a bookmark to this page, it's fine.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yes, that works fine as does the following link for the church records
    https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Gobble deGook

Has this website been hacked?

I've just tried to log on and got the following message:
    "You have been blocked because of a suspicious activity. We are aware of that."

It came up on a blank page, no logo or any other sign that it is the official site. I haven't been using the site in recent days so the message makes no sense even as a glitch. The wording is also odd.

Has anyone else had the same experience?

Care to confess what you have been up to for the past while?

I've been innocently availing of the discount on findmypast recently flagged by Claire Santry. I hadn't actually been on irishgenealogy in a while which is why I knew I hadn't broken some rule or other. The message is too weird to be official so clearly the site has been hacked in some way though, thankfully, not seriously enough to damage the content. The links provided above work and the records are perfectly accessible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement