Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Brussels Sprouts for 12c

Options
  • 15-12-2013 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Lidl are advertising brussels sprouts for 18c/kg. Don't let this turn into a discussion of how awful brussels sprouts taste.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That is very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnf26

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CH3OH

They should be 8 .......in moderation

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

They're 8 cent in Aldi - as are potatoes, melons, pineapples carrots and clementines :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I love sprouts. That is all.

• Advertisement

They are awful to look at and feel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

snubbleste wrote: »
    They are awful to look at and feel

I don't fondle them, least not since the court order, I just eat them.

I don't fondle them, least not since the court order, I just eat them.
    No four play?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Great offer tbh. Love sprouts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Got them today. They're now down to 9c as are the onions, baby pots, turnips and parsnips.

All of which I had for Sunday lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Sprouts fried with cranberry sauce amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Rip off 2c or else....

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

how the hell am I supposed to spend €100 to get my €20 off with these prices??:oops thought this was Aldi. 8c now btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

We bought 17kg of carrots:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

loki7777 wrote: »
    We bought 17kg of carrots:)

Guess Rudolf might not make it to everyones house then. We were happy with our 49c per kg carrots. Will make sure to check with aldi and lidl online next time we shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Pang wrote: »
    Sprouts fried with cranberry sauce amazing!

Eek, I thought I had issues...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Twitter

At the risk of being considered a tool, I just have to get this off my chest...if we get theses veg for almost nothing, are we helping Aldi/Lidl etc-by dint of huge purchase power-to ride roughshod over farmers/growers/suppliers. Like, how much do they pay for kg of potatoes if they sell them at such a ridiculously low price? I know this is the bargain alert forum, and I'm not trying to be a sanctimonious git, I suppose I just want someone to appease my guilty conscience!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Twitter wrote: »
    At the risk of being considered a tool, I just have to get this off my chest...if we get theses veg for almost nothing, are we helping Aldi/Lidl etc-by dint of huge purchase power-to ride roughshod over farmers/growers/suppliers. Like, how much do they pay for kg of potatoes if they sell them at such a ridiculously low price? I know this is the bargain alert forum, and I'm not trying to be a sanctimonious git, I suppose I just want someone to appease my guilty conscience!

I'd assume they are a loss leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Twitter

Hope so! I have visions of some disgruntled supplier wishing we all (lidl/aldi customers) choke on our roast veg on Christmas day :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Brussel sprouts are actually nice when corrected in certain way eg with fatty bacon bits. I know everyone is on about how little farmers are getting. But I seen an article in the nytimes were US tomatoe farmers only get 1/2 cent a lb of tomatoes and they are still profitable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The farmers get a fair price no matter what the veg is sold at.
    Know someone whose brother supplies mushrooms to one of them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Agricultural prices are generally guaranteed by the Common Agricultural Policy no?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭omicron

The farmers get a fair price no matter what the veg is sold at.
    Know someone whose brother supplies mushrooms to one of them.

Suppliers generally take a hit when the supermarket uses a product as a loss leader. One story of one supplier doesn't change that.
    Agricultural prices are generally guaranteed by the Common Agricultural Policy no?

One payment that only applies depending on what yo were farming years ago. Lots of farmers get little or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

12 cents in Aldi, not 8 (still, I am SO getting the pineapple and the melon and clementines)

https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/super-6/

9cents in Lidl:
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/SID-1D4DC042-254EA143/www_lidl_ie/hs.xsl/3472.htm

It's 8c in Aldi, the website has not been updated

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

pineapple for 8 cents? Sorry kids, Xmas dinner will be sprouts, carrots, potatoes and pineapple. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lidl have a food processor for €99 today,perfect for making soups/smoothies from all the cheap fruit & veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

zerks wrote: »
    Lidl have a food processor for €99 today,perfect for making soups/smoothies from all the cheap fruit & veg.

Thats how they get ya

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Clementines were Spanish, Pineapple Costa Rica, Carrots French, Potatoes and Sprouts Irish - all are loss leaders for Aldi and Lidl

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Other supermarkets would be paying the same prices and keeping the difference.

When prices go up doesn't mean the farmer gets a cut of that, look at the way milk prices went during the boom

Advertisement