Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BB and Home Phone

• 01-10-2013 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Was looking to move from UPC as they sent mail telling me they where going to put extra 2 euro on my bill so wasn't happy. I was paying 42 for 30MB and free evening calls. So done the usual rounds

Sky: have the TV with them and was going to go with Broadband as well, I have eircom line installed but to reactive it Sky are not able to do this. Had to ring Eircom and they wanted a 12 month reactivation contract of 27 euro or so a month so this made it a non-runner

Digiweb/Smart Telecom:
    Not on internet but good deal, ring to get it..they are waiting for website to be updated. Included in this is reactivation of telephone line
    Package 1- Fibre Broadband Lite- Traffic- 40GB’s- Price/month is €34.95
    Package 2- Fibre Broadband Home- Traffic- 350GB’s – Price/month is €39.95

Extra 5 euro for anytime call bundle with 30 mins of mobile
    Good deal but note you need a 49.95 installation

Imagine Wimax: 19 euro per month for full length of contract but is only 10MB and I had before and was dodgy with bad weather, now I know it has improved but didn't bother going with it

In end rang UPC and was going to join Digiweb....they gave me 50MB and 300 mins of calls to landlines/mobiles for 37 per month....had option as well to go with free landline calls peak/off peak for same price.....

Just in case anyone is interested....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Sky, theyl be pissing on the competition once they settle all the current issues which are holding them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    Sky, theyl be pissing on the competition once they settle all the current issues which are holding them back.

What issues are they currently having?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

I rang to cancel my UPC broadband and home phone. They offered €5 off first. Then offered me 6 months half price.

Depends who you get though.

tonic wine wrote: »
    I rang to cancel my UPC broadband and home phone. They offered €5 off first. Then offered me 6 months half price.

What price are you onto at the end of the 6months half price?

What price are you onto at the end of the 6months half price?

Was €42, but that will be increasing by €2.
    Also sent me a free new router and upgraded my Internet connection.

• Advertisement

not so much issues, just mean when they switch over to fibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

not so much issues, just mean when they switch over to fibre.
    In April next year!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

tonic wine wrote: »

Yeah I got same offer if I stayed on same pack as I was already on...I wanted a bigger free calls bundle.....

Well they seem to be the only ones that need Sky to reactivate a Eircom line....then Eircom charge you for having the line...joke.....

Although Sky where up front and told me straight up that eircom would try that....

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭karlyk1

Good thread, OP... am in the same position myself. Decisions, decisions....

From what I've heard UPC are about the best/most reliable for BB (certainly the most reliable provider I've had so far). Can anyone confirm this, or post which of the others are the least desirable option in regard to speed, connection issues, customer care, etc? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

I rang UPC last month to cancel. , was on 30 meg line with non wifi modem, got offered new wifi modem upgrade to 50 meg line and free evening and weekend local ,national calls for €27pm for 12 months .took it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Was looking to move from UPC as they sent mail telling me they where going to put extra 2 euro on my bill so wasn't happy. I was paying 42 for 30MB and free evening calls. So done the usual rounds

Sky: have the TV with them and was going to go with Broadband as well, I have eircom line installed but to reactive it Sky are not able to do this. Had to ring Eircom and they wanted a 12 month reactivation contract of 27 euro or so a month so this made it a non-runner

Digiweb/Smart Telecom:
    Not on internet but good deal, ring to get it..they are waiting for website to be updated. Included in this is reactivation of telephone line

Imagine Wimax: 19 euro per month for full length of contract but is only 10MB and I had before and was dodgy with bad weather, now I know it has improved but didn't bother going with it

In end rang UPC and was going to join Digiweb....they gave me 50MB and 300 mins of calls to landlines/mobiles for 37 per month....had option as well to go with free landline calls peak/off peak for same price.....

Smart telecom (owned by Digiweb)....Personally been with them for 2.5 years with no isses:

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband/more_details/Back_to_School_Broadband.aspx

smart-telecom-back-to-school-offer-broadband.jpg

BTW: max speed i get is 5mb but apparently my phone line is made out of twigs or something....

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

Sky haven't a hope in hell of ever competing with UPC on broadband. Pigs will fly before this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Larcoon

Digiweb/Smart Telecom:

Im on the 50MB BB with home phone €42 and anytime calls to landlines for €47, so if i decide to threaten to move to digiweb, i could get the same package for €37 and 6 months half price. Is this what im reading?

Larcoon wrote: »
    Im on the 50MB BB with home phone €42 and anytime calls to landlines for €47, so if i decide to threaten to move to digiweb, i could get the same package for €37 and 6 months half price. Is this what im reading?

As I said, it depends who you get, I just kept ringing up asking for the email address for cancelations, not exactly cancelling ;) until someone actually made me a decent offer. I told them I was leaving as it was too expensive.

Some made no attempt with better offers, others were miserable offers, but one was very good, made several different offers incl. 6 months half price.

Basically he was offering me a new customer package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭metroburgers

Think you might just need to request that eircom unlock the line? Might be wrong though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

meathman0 wrote: »
    I rang UPC last month to cancel. , was on 30 meg line with non wifi modem, got offered new wifi modem upgrade to 50 meg line and free evening and weekend local ,national calls for €27pm for 12 months .took it.
    I did something like this, then got my latest bill yesterday to discover a €49.99 "equipment activation fee". They can fúck right off; an "Angry of Limerick" letter is on its way to them right now (since they don't accept emails, their online contact form doesn't work, and I don't have sufficient free time or energy to deal with the gobsheens that answer their phones).

Great product, technically. Awful accounts/billing/"customer service" (my letter is also about unresolved overcharging issues going back to last May).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

peckerhead wrote: »
    I did something like this, then got my latest bill yesterday to discover a €49.99 "equipment activation fee". They can fúck right off; an "Angry of Limerick" letter is on its way to them right now (since they don't accept emails, their online contact form doesn't work, and I don't have sufficient free time or energy to deal with the gobsheens that answer their phones).

Great product, technically. Awful accounts/billing/"customer service" (my letter is also about unresolved overcharging issues going back to last May).

You know they have a forum on boards?

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1546

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Peter McCloskey

:)We always find that Sky offer great discounts once we leave.
    I have a friend who has 2 sky accounts registered to his address, one in his name & the other in his wifes with slightly different adress.

They always make fun of whatever deal that we can get.

Might be idea

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

I tried this today with mixed results.
    I'm on anytime world phone with 30mg broadband for 56 euro a month.
    I threatened to leave and got offered the standard cheaper rate offered on their website ( 47 euro I think) I refused and they made no other offers.
    I rang back and got passed onto customer retaining or something like that and they played hard ball for ten mins offering me bigger packages I didn't need for the same price I was paying ( 56 euro) after about 15 mins they offered 50MB Bb Anytime world phone and a new router for 44euro. Not as good as the op managed but best I could get from them anyway. Thanks a mil OP every little helps as they say.

• Advertisement

barrackali wrote: »
    Sky haven't a hope in hell of ever competing with UPC on broadband. Pigs will fly before this happens.
    upc may offer the world but we all know what they offer is hugely exagerated.
    in time sky will have fibre power, ive no doubt about that, that added to the hugely far superior tv package will make sky unbeatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

i recently got line in with utv, had to pay €49 activation fee but i get 24mb unlimited broadband, free local/nation evening and weekend calls and 100 mins to mobiles all for €38pm

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I had an issue with Sky: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86839542&postcount=7, but in fairness, straight to the point, and no messing around they cancelled. I went back to Vodafone on the eFibre deal of €37pm unlimited BB up to 70Mb (I think I'll get about 40Mb). 100 free minutes to 23 worldwide destinations, Irish mobiles, national or local calls. Free modem and installation for signing up for 24 months. UTV were slightly better, but charged for installation, modem and are limited on the upload/download data. Eircom would have been pretty good if you needed a mobile phone as well

upc may offer the world but we all know what they offer is hugely exagerated.
    in time sky will have fibre power, ive no doubt about that, that added to the hugely far superior tv package will make sky unbeatable.

Sorry, but that's BS. I can reliably saturate my 150MB line. Sky are using eircoms lines so they are limited by their FTTC tech - max 70 megabit if you are close enough to the cabinet and if not you're at the mercy of the copper running into your house. UPC have FTTH and should be able to deliver a couple of gigabit in the future. Streaming is the future of TV. That's why Sky are trying to get their foot in the door.

If you have UPC Fibre and are getting your broadband from anyone else then you're nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

I have wimax. Its 26 a month. 10 meg speed unlimited landline calls and 60 min mobile per month. Its the 12 month half price deal which they renew annually. I'm half way through my 2nd year. The inital cost of equipment is the only down side as it cost approx 150 notes. But its been reliable enough in fairness.

I have wimax. Its 26 a month. 10 meg speed unlimited landline calls and 60 min mobile per month. Its the 12 month half price deal which they renew annually. I'm half way through my 2nd year. The inital cost of equipment is the only down side as it cost approx 150 notes. But its been reliable enough in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭top_dog

Yea the same thing when I wanted to get sky broadband. When I rang sky the house was not in their database which is given to them by eircom... So they told me that there was nothing really they could do and that I would have to ring eircom and get the line re-connected.
    The previous occupants only left a couple of months ago but took their number with them. When I rang eircom they insisted that the only way they could activate the line was to take a 12 month subscription out with them. This seems very strange and not very consumer friendly. Wonder is their a way around this as I would like to get sky tv and broadband.

jharr100 wrote: »

I have had a few mates who had wimax from imagine and they were forever giving out about it. Honestly can't say anything bad about upc broadband.

I have had a few mates who had wimax from imagine and they were forever giving out about it. Honestly can't say anything bad about upc broadband.

Its not perfect , but it has gotten better recently, maybe I'm lucky to be near a mast!

And its comparatively cheap...

• Advertisement

top_dog wrote: »

Yea the same thing when I wanted to get sky broadband. When I rang sky the house was not in their database which is given to them by eircom... So they told me that there was nothing really they could do and that I would have to ring eircom and get the line re-connected.
    The previous occupants only left a couple of months ago but took their number with them. When I rang eircom they insisted that the only way they could activate the line was to take a 12 month subscription out with them. This seems very strange and not very consumer friendly. Wonder is their a way around this as I would like to get sky tv and broadband.

That is same as myself, as mentioned I ended up getting better deal with UPC so I stayed.....

The only way to get line reactivated is to get Eircom to do it...and then add Sky on top of it which costs too much money. MY plan then was take an Eircom pack but the contract was 18 months.

You can get Vodafone, Digiweb or Vodafone to reactivate the line but you will need to take a pack with them and then move in 12 months.

Until Sky get a services team that can reactivate lines without Eircom your stuck with option above which means you wont have Sky BB for at least 12 months....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

stimpson wrote: »
    You know they have a forum on boards?

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1546
    Yep, I asked the reps if I could email them or pm them .pdfs of the correspondence but they said I'd have to use the online form.

I reckon UPC really don't want customers contacting them, unless it's to sign up as a new customer. :rolleyes:

peckerhead wrote: »
    Yep, I asked the reps if I could email them or pm them .pdfs of the correspondence but they said I'd have to use the online form.

I reckon UPC really don't want customers contacting them, unless it's to sign up as a new customer. :rolleyes:

I've had good experiences with them on boards and I've been a customer for a good few years. I'd say they will have access to the correspondence on your account anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I rang them down in Cork- I got the same letter as you. They're increasing my bill to 47 a month for BB and home phone- however they're sending out a new modem, upping my BB speed to 100Mb from the current 30 and changing the phone package I'm on (I think its only off-peak calls now- as I'm not at home during the daytime anyway).

Ring them and talk to them- they are approachable, and willing to give current customers the offers they have for new customers.

The one downside- I was on the phone to them for over 2 hours and transferred to 5 different people. I used my speakerphone in work, so it wasn't so bad- I could work away while I was on hold (most of the 2 hours 12 minutes, 34 seconds). It was a marathon phone call but success at the end. Hope to have the new modem on Mon/Tuesday- apparently they sent it out on Thursday- but it was by DPD so its not here yet.

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Took me 28 minutes just to get someone on the phone after the usual press 1 for.......:mad:
    If they are that short of staff, maybe they could start employing some new staff to man (or woman!) the phones.

Took me 28 minutes just to get someone on the phone after the usual press 1 for.......:mad:
    If they are that short of staff, maybe they could start employing some new staff to man (or woman!) the phones.

Yes- don't know what the story is- and everytime I was transferred to another person, I was obviously back at the end of the queue again....... I almost think they gave me the new modem as a consolation prize for managing to navigate their phone system......... Apparently the new modems were given out free to current customers who called up over the summer months- but they're charging 50 quid a pop for them now (and making you sign up to a new 12 month contract). I don't have an issue with the contract- and eventually they agreed to waive the charge when they realised I'd be screwed around by several of their colleagues over the last few weeks. A few months credit would have been nice- but I'm happy with the upgrade in speed instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

To avoid being passed around just ask to be put through to cancellations straight away. Those are the guys with the power

Customer retention section sorted me. Reduced my bill from 69e a month down to 52. Exact same service. This was about 2 months ago. Went to town on the fact that I had had 3 boxes in a year(true). Actually was going to change to Sky as I heard their box was a lot more stable plus their EPG is miles ahead of clunky UPC but the price reduction helped swing it.

groom wrote: »
    To avoid being passed around just ask to be put through to cancellations straight away. Those are the guys with the power

The Finance Department actually sorted me. Customer retention couldn't have hidden how bored they were worse. Perhaps I shouldn't have called at 4PM in the afternoon- but seriously they didn't give a damn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,710 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Until Sky get a services team that can reactivate lines without Eircom your stuck

Internet (or anything else really) over the phone line sucks big time anyway. UPC cable is far superior. It was a good day back in '05 that I physically disconnected the phone line coming into my house. Yes, I cut it off :)

unkel wrote: »
    Internet (or anything else really) over the phone line sucks big time anyway. UPC cable is far superior. It was a good day back in '05 that I physically disconnected the phone line coming into my house. Yes, I cut it off :)

I did the same. A wonderful feeling. By my reckoning Eircom (or Eircon as I prefer to call them) owe me over 700 Euro to this day- not that I have any hope of ever getting it. I genuinely consider the entire company to be scum of the earth.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Commander Shepard

You might be sorry you cut them lines in the future plenty of people are nowadays with the bundles you can get for tv and bb. Because UPC tv is muck compared to sky fair enuf UPC broadband is better but eventually everyone will have fibre broadband

UPC tv is muck compared to sky fair enuf UPC broadband is better but eventually everyone will have fibre broadband

UPC TV is UPC TV- you can choose to take it, or leave it- I don't bother with it- I only take BB and phone from them- and I have Freesat and an Atlantic Bird combo for my TV- great selection, and 100% free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭flutered

Digiweb/Smart Telecom:

they want €35 from me for the fone only, shower of xxxxxxxxxx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

deaglan169 wrote: »
    i recently got line in with utv, had to pay €49 activation fee but i get 24mb unlimited broadband, free local/nation evening and weekend calls and 100 mins to mobiles all for €38pm

I was with UTV few years back and to change suppliers they charged me over €30 admin fee.Don't know if its still the case

Advertisement