Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The worst junction in Ireland

• 13-08-2020 2:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

This is not just specifically about unsafe junctions but those that are badly designed or grind your gears for whatever reason.

My vote for this has to go to the Walkinstown Roundabout. It's the only junction that I'd actively seek to avoid if at all possible and having had to go through it a couple of times today - I definitely remember why I have this attitude.

Newlands cross used to piss me off big time before it was redone and Dunkettle gets on my tits at times too, but nothing like that God forsaken Roundabout. The Joyce roundabout in Galway is another that I detest.

Is there anything on the island that's worse than it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Oh there is a far worse junction - it's in Enniscorthy, Co Wexford.

Driving from the Rafter Bridge to Abbey Square roundabout. Whoever designed it was obviously a psychopath who wanted to cull the natives there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Blanchardstown Shopping Centre / N3 from M50 side :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭JDigweed

Celbridge Main Street bridge, 3 roads funnelling into one bridge originally designed for a horse and cart. A town of 20,000 people and it's the only bridge that crosses the river in the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

This is not just specifically about unsafe junctions but those that are badly designed or grind your gears for whatever reason.

My vote for this has to go to the Walkinstown Roundabout. It's the only junction that I'd actively seek to avoid if at all possible and having had to go through it a couple of times today - I definitely remember why I have this attitude.

Newlands cross used to piss me off big time before it was redone and Dunkettle gets on my tits at times too, but nothing like that God forsaken Roundabout. The Joyce roundabout in Galway is another that I detest.

The Walkinstown Roundabout is grand once you get used to it and stay assertive when you're on it. It's other people not knowing how to use it that causes issues. Far worse in my opinion is somewhere like the Terenure junction where the Templeogue Road meets Terenure Road West. Think it was nominated for having Ireland's worst traffic before. It's one of those junctions where the lights seem to be cycling endlessly and no cars are moving in any direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

griffdaddy wrote: »
    The Walkinstown Roundabout is grand once you get used to it and stay assertive when you're on it. It's other people not knowing how to use it that causes issues. Far worse in my opinion is somewhere like the Terenure junction where the Templeogue Road meets Terenure Road West. Think it was nominated for having Ireland's worst traffic before. It's one of those junctions where the lights seem to be cycling endlessly and no cars are moving in any direction

That part for me is why I would second it as the worst. Its so dangerous, so many people in this country struggle with single lane roundabouts let alone that monster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

All exits before and including 12 o clock stay left, all after 12 o clock stay right.
    People just don't know the rules.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3180502,-6.3345483,3a,15y,125.68h,92.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scbDi8Ch69T4mPzzC7e-tIg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Another vote for the Walkinstown roundabout.
    Pre covid Friday afternoons were nuts, all exits blocked with traffic, busses crawling up to the Greenhills road exit, HGV’s trying to get to the Ballymount road exit
    The roundabout is far too small to handle the 6 exits of heavily used traffic lanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

The Walkinstown Roundabout is actually a decent solution to the problem of that many busy roads converging at that point.
    There are far worse junctions.
    In particular, by not overengineering it, for instance by putting in an overly complex prescriptive lane system that many drivers would be too stupid to follow, the designers avoid the accidents that plague other difficult roundabouts.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

hi5 wrote: »
    All exits before and including 12 o clock stay left, all after 12 o clock stay right.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3180502,-6.3345483,3a,15y,125.68h,92.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scbDi8Ch69T4mPzzC7e-tIg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Ah but when you have 3 lanes people are clueless!

Ive had a few near misses on that roundabout from people in the left lane taking the 4th exit.

Left lane: exit 1 and 2
    Middle Lane: Exit 3 and 4
    Right lane Exit 5 and 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭wassie

Surely Junction 17 on M6 at Athenry is a shining example celtic tiger traffic engineering design in all its glory.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2900433,-8.760792,16z

5 roundabouts to get on/off when heading westbound on the the motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Allinall

antodeco wrote: »
    Ah but when you have 3 lanes people are clueless!

Ive had a few near misses on that roundabout from people in the left lane taking the 4th exit.

Left lane: exit 1 and 2
    Middle Lane: Exit 3 and 4
    Right lane Exit 5 and 6

Ah... But for any car approaching the roundabout, there are only 5 exits. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The Red Cow interchange, taking a southbound exit from M50, heading west onto N7 and looking to take the first turn off to the left by the bridge. Nope, I use the Cookstown exit as a turnaround and come back up again. When learning to drive you are thought to change 1 lane at a time. That turn off would require 4 lane changes within 200 / 250 metres and it can be difficult to observe what's coming behind you with the slope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you....

Liberty Square, Thurles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭lovelyhurler

J22 M7 Roscrea - the worst designed on/off ramps on any motorway
    You have to hit the brakes whilst on the mainline.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.9220524,-7.7931911,3a,75y,116.97h,80.98t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDIlAKVISptC_Ril-xceCcg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

JDigweed wrote: »
    Celbridge Main Street bridge, 3 roads funnelling into one bridge originally designed for a horse and cart. A town of 20,000 people and it's the only bridge that crosses the river in the town.

Oh yes, that is a really awful junction. I wouldn't have reason to pass through Celbridge too often but id always access the town via jn 6 rather than 5 so I wouldn't be held up all day on that bridge.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Blanchardstown Shopping Centre / N3 from M50 side :mad:

That junction from any of the five roads that feed into it is a complete nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

J22 M7 Roscrea - the worst designed on/off ramps on any motorway
    You have to hit the brakes whilst on the mainline.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.9220524,-7.7931911,3a,75y,116.97h,80.98t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDIlAKVISptC_Ril-xceCcg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

It seems like there are always accidents after that junction, not to do with the junction but it has its own micro climate

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭I told ya

hi5 wrote: »

Allinall wrote: »

Are you sure about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Ah would you stop, I'm Walkinstown born and bred, t'is just a roundabout, best place to learn. Just have your head on a swivel and expect people to make stupid mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Allinall wrote: »
    Not if you intend to exit at the road you entered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Liberty Square, Thurles

Exactly
    It's like they made note of all the things that work is other towns then made a plan that uses absolutely none of them .

It's a fair achievement to have all roads in and out a disaster and be shockingly poorly designed
    I cannot think of one thing that works even moderately well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Allinall

I told ya wrote: »
    Are you sure about that?
    Not if you intend to exit at the road you entered.

This is just turning into a circular argument. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Exactly
    It's like they made note of all the things that work is other towns then made a plan that uses absolutely none of them .

It's a fair achievement to have all roads in and out a disaster and be shockingly poorly designed
    I cannot think of one thing that works even moderately well.

It'll be very interesting to see how it'll work once the redevelopment is done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Oh yes, that is a really awful junction. I wouldn't have reason to pass through Celbridge too often but id always access the town via jn 6 rather than 5 so I wouldn't be held up all day on that bridge.

The bridge is a protected structure too so there is little that can be done to improve it. They tried traffic lights there a few years ago but it just made the congestion much worse. The bridge was nearly washed away in floods in October 2000, and I think feelings in the town about its survival were decidedly mixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

It'll be very interesting to see how it'll work once the redevelopment is done!

Even worse. It will force the traffic onto other roads trying to avoid it. Butler Avenue and across by the old cinema will be chaotic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Zaph wrote: »
    That junction from any of the five roads that feed into it is a complete nightmare.

It's an easy and straightforward junction though, it's only poor because of the wait time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

The semi circle about in Donnybrook, lots of barging, and only some of it in luxobarges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

theteal wrote: »
    Ah would you stop, I'm Walkinstown born and bred, t'is just a roundabout, best place to learn. Just have your head on a swivel and expect people to make stupid mistakes.

I learned around the area too, one time the instructor got fed up with me timing a gap when approaching it and going on through that he started making me come to a full stop when I got to it from then on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

That junction in Cork by the tunnel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Lockheed

The turn into and out of the driving test centre on Metges Road, Navan. Apparently the biggest proportion of fails from that center come from either driving out or in from the junction. A 90 degree, almost blind (blind from the stop sign) turn, and a blind junction onto a farm road and then another stop onto Metges Rd. Funnily enough it wasn't what failed me, I studied the junction so hard to make sure i wouldn't mess up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The roundabout at the bridge/rail station in Waterford - if you are coming out of the station. Not only are people coming out of the car park competing with people coming out of the taxi rank/car park, you have to compete with continuous traffic off the bridge and off the quay.

At rush hour, going southbound passing by the burlington hotel and O'Briens pub on leeson street and morehampton road. There is 5 roads funneling into a series of yellow boxes ahead of you. You literally won't move for over an hour due to the boxes being filled straight away as the lights change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Liberty Square, Thurles

It was worse coming onto the Horse and Jockey junction but it is better now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

The Kinsale road roundabout isn't too easy to navigate. And why have they installed traffic lights on the Dunkettle roundabout?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Try the roundabout in Midleton, Co Cork. Designed by morons, for morons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Anjobe wrote: »
    The bridge is a protected structure too so there is little that can be done to improve it. They tried traffic lights there a few years ago but it just made the congestion much worse. The bridge was nearly washed away in floods in October 2000, and I think feelings in the town about its survival were decidedly mixed.

There was a proposal years ago (early 80s I think), to build a second bridge at the Slip by Castletown gates/CoI church, but that didn't get far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Does Virginia as whole count? Curse of a town to get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,444 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Doff wrote: »
    That part for me is why I would second it as the worst. Its so dangerous, so many people in this country struggle with single lane roundabouts let alone that monster!

That’s not a monster. On my third lesson, the instructor took me to a roundabout in east London which had 7 circulating lanes and basically told me to do a u-turn and re-enter the road we came off. The Walkibstown roundabout is not a problem; it’s just a small cohort of drivers who are intermittently too timid/too aggressive thereby introducing randomness that irritates everyone.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Try the roundabout in Midleton, Co Cork. Designed by morons, for morons.

The one at the end of the main street? That's a curse. Hate driving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

This junction near Naas nearly had me and the family killed when I was about to pull out onto the R445 and turn right from the stop line on the road in the pic. No signage whatsoever to say that its actually 1 side of dual carriage way. The other side of the dual carriage way is cambered away from the stop sign / T junction and therefore is not visible from low down. All you can see is the house across from you.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2090245,-6.7217361,3a,75y,87.22h,74.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxaoa1szdMwLpsS0Xc7NcXA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxaoa1szdMwLpsS0Xc7NcXA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

This one near Leixlip Confey was once a death trap with no visibility tying to pull out of the junction. Looks much better now, hedges cleared away.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.378023,-6.4902204,3a,47.9y,296.93h,88.66t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spHGdQ1jmKhqZnJYBa8mu0w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

This junction caused the deaths of a couple of Americans as they turned right crossing the road, following sat nav instructions for Blarney. Hence the barriers now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭GPoint

Exit 9 Naas off M7 towards Dublin.

Anyone thinks slip road is too short? It's now 3 lanes 120kmh and then suddenly 50kmh and a sharp left. Normally they are 80kmh and then 60kmh before a roundabout. They had a chance to rebuild this when extending motorway but they kept it. I think it may see some accidents in the future especially if not familiar with this exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

griffdaddy wrote: »

+1 for Terenure . It's bad enough that I'd always avoid it during the day if possible, and that junction in Blanch the same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The semi circle about in Donnybrook, lots of barging, and only some of it in luxobarges.

In fairness, I've always found that intersection to be really annoying as a pedestrian as well. I probably have violated more traffic laws at that junction as a pedestrian or bicyclist than at any other. Not as a driver, though, that i can recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

Can someone explain something to me. I have a full Irish license for the last 7 years but I'm originally not Irish and having driven abroad for few years there is something which strikes me about roundabouts here in Ireland.

Assuming we have a two lane roundabout and a two lane exit / approach lanes to that roundabout. In Ireland, the standard practice is to take the left lane if you intend to get off before the 12 o'clock mark and the right lane when you intend to get off past the 12 o'clock mark. (That's assuming with roundabout with no markings).

It's not the case in other countries though, is it? You can pretty much use the left lane to go around the roundabout as many times as you want and the person on the inside lane has to give way to you if you're in the outside lane if that person wants to get off? It's a pretty common practice in Poland for example where people who intend to leave on exit 3 for example take the left lane and whoever is on the inside has to give way. (That's assuming polish and Irish drive in the same side 😛)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

It's Ballymcquirke is the worst junction in Ireland. It says so here. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057784946

I also find the Walkinstown roundabout to be an odd one. I think, for a lot of people, having the third lane complicates it, and a lot of people seem afraid to use the third lane, anyway.

And I can kind of understand why. I've used it a few times and you really don't know if you're gonna get to your exit without a collision and as people occupy lanes 1 and 2 without any acknowledgement of your presence in lane 3 at all. It's a bit of an anxious circle to drive in.

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Does Virginia as whole count? Curse of a town to get through.

It's practically a straight line, so don't think it'd qualify. Needs bypassing, though, to some degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Definately the long mile road roundabout sort of thing with the luas line through the middle. My first time driving a large van and I had to navigate it....talk about bricking myself hah

Isambard wrote: »
    It's Ballymcquirke is the worst junction in Ireland. It says so here. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057784946

I've never encountered it (that I know of) but just out of curiosuity - how is that dangerous? It's a crossroads and looks fairly well marked?

For example, this is the same junction, but the road is in bits, so theoretically it's worse? Or am i overlooking something?

• Advertisement
Advertisement