Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips LED Gu10

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Ordered as well. They will be in the motel in the morning.

Ordered them on the 6th when I first saw them and they have checked into the motel and in transit :)

Just confirming to a previous poster that I purchased as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

ted1 wrote: »
    I can vouch for the IKEA globe led lamps. 5.5w and lights the room well

+1

Have one to test in a table lamp shade and gives out same light as a bog standard 60w bulb and same colour temp. Very happy with it but can only get them in screw type and not bc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Access wrote: »
    +1

Have one to test in a table lamp shade and gives out same light as a bog standard 60w bulb and same colour temp. Very happy with it but can only get them in screw type and not bc

You can get adapters on ebay/amazon, I paid about 50c each when I bought 10 the es bulbs are always cheaper so definitely worth it in the end.

Just got the 10 pack from amazon today. They are great bulbs with great light

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

dingding wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-CorePro-GU10-Perfect-White/dp/B00BQAVLVA/

Here is 10 for about 30 Euro. You will need parcel motel as they will not post to ROI.

Thats a good price. Just to anyone who has dimmer switches, theses ones aren't dimmable like the masterLED range.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭clickhere

Davy wrote: »
    Thats a good price. Just to anyone who has dimmer switches, theses ones aren't dimmable like the masterLED range.

Davy ,am i right in thinking i can use these with a dimmable switch and they will just light full. Thanks.

If you put them in a dimmer switch you will damage them. I put an LED lamp inadvertently into a lamp with a dimmer before and ever since that it has a very annoying flicker, I think I killed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

Lumen is only 165

From Philips website
    4-35W GU10 3000K 36D voltage 230 beam 300 lumen 165 efficacy 41 packed 10 >80 code 20197700

165 lumen is about a 20w halogen in terms of brightness.

300 - 360 lumen is almost standard of current lamps, but they are also at a premium price.

That said, 165 lumen will probably be suitable for most domestic areas, but if you need brightness, look for 300lumen+.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Here is 10 for about 30 Euro. You will need parcel motel as they will not post to ROI.

Thanks op total of 35.46 to my parcel motel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mytime

Slightly OT but are there any deals on Phillips mr16 led?

IT might be an option to remove the transformers and get the GU10 connection, they are not that dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

IT might be an option to remove the transformers and get the GU10 connection, they are not that dear.
    That's what I did, you'll get GU10 connectors for less than a €1 a piece.

On a side note, has anyone found a suitable Dimmer for LED's? Can't find one for controlling 2x 3.5w LED bulbs:(

wush06 wrote: »
    Thanks op total of 35.46 to my parcel motel.

Just if you order multiple packs you don't pay anything additional for postage and you are only paying for one Motel Stay. I was so happy with the first 10, I ordered another couple of packs, and the postage was the same as the first time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Qwerty? wrote: »
    On a side note, has anyone found a suitable Dimmer for LED's? Can't find one for controlling 2x 3.5w LED bulbs:(

Easier to buy bulbs that can be dimmed with a conventional dimmer than getting a faff-tastic dimmer that only works for a specific type of controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

MYOB wrote: »
    Easier to buy bulbs that can be dimmed with a conventional dimmer than getting a faff-tastic dimmer that only works for a specific type of controller.

My bulbs are dimmable, but conventional dimmers won't control 7 watts from what I understand:confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Qwerty? wrote: »
    My bulbs are dimmable, but conventional dimmers won't control 7 watts from what I understand:confused:

Most modern ones can. Have you got some ancient rheostat dimmer? They also piss heat out rather than actually reducing power consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

I see these have gone up to 33 sterling now plus postage. Was delighted with first packet I bought. Just wondering if anyone has spotted them elsewhere for under 40 euro delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Admldj

Tried the led lights about 5 years ago, I have 14 spots in my house at 50w each so was desperate to try anything ,I found them terrible! like having a load of dim torches, took them all out and left the halogens in, a few months later tescos were doing a cfl bulb with a gu10 fitting 7w for €1.50 reduced from €9.50, I whipped up enough for my place and never looked back, one went on me last week though and had me thinking of led again have they come on or are they still a bit dim?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Yes, much better now and much cheaper, but watch out for some of the really cheap ones, there's been reports of them being potentially very dangerous recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

Admldj wrote: »
    Tried the led lights about 5 years ago, I have 14 spots in my house at 50w each so was desperate to try anything ,I found them terrible! like having a load of dim torches, took them all out and left the halogens in, a few months later tescos were doing a cfl bulb with a gu10 fitting 7w for €1.50 reduced from €9.50, I whipped up enough for my place and never looked back, one went on me last week though and had me thinking of led again have they come on or are they still a bit dim?

5 Years time span in LED technology is like comparing a Amstrad 1512 to a latest model IPad.

I got leds about 5 years ago - the lumen level was about 40-60lm for a 3 watt bulb, current new models will give 350lm for a 5watt. A 50watt halogen gives about 350lm-400lm.

Phillips have managed to get over 1000 lumen from one watt in their latest lab products - so in a another 5 years, expect most lighting products to be 1 to 5 watt maximum, even current floodlights.

In one report I read, they suggested that based on technology currently being developed that within 10 years Wembly stadium would need less than 2000 watts of power to be floodlit! (thats the power of a single standard hairdryer)

Advertisement