Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain access

Options
  • 29-01-2004 8:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

Anyone got any good stories about mountain access, eg local landowners welcoming walkers/climbers with open arms? 'Cause it seems to be all doom and gloom at the mo.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I wasn't aware that there was a problem, but I spend most of my time on national land anyway. I'd imagine the compo-culture has something to do with access problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Skorzeny

Not something that has happened to me but, on one of the peaks of the Gougane Barra horseshoe ( the most northerly, Bealeek?) Theres a sign warning climbers about a particular farmer down in the valley. Apparantly the climbers were stopped and the farmer took their maps as a "toll" for going through his land. The sign also mentioned that they were going to court over it.

Its kinda sad but I`ve also heard stories where farmers have been brought to court because people have been injured on there land. Silly buggers in my opinion, Its not the farmers fault you cut yourself on barbed wire, or whatever injury you sustain.
    Unless of course the farmer was trying to mow you down with his tractor at the time :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭jerenaugrim

There are a lot of problems, more and more. Yer man in Gùagàn is fairly spectacularly anti-walker. There's commonage being fenced off, rights of way being fenced across, even Waymarked walks in some places are being taken out of use. We have some of the best walking in Europe, and access to it is being withdrawn more and more, here, as Europe in general facilitates more and more access to land. A look at Keep Ireland Open's website is fairly educational.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Originally posted by jerenaugrim
    A look at Keep Ireland Open's website is fairly educational.

This brings up an interesting question - do you prefer the softly-softly approach of the MCI or KIO's rather more confrontational style?

Which approach do you feel is more likely to get the access problems resolved?

I'm not actually sure what the beef is between the MCI and KIO. I know KIO used to be affiliated to the MCI, but got thrun out, more or less. There seem to me to be some personality issues involved.
    KIO is more broadly-based, including people who want access for fishing, watersports, etc. I think mountain-users generally have an attitude that they have a right of access themselves, and would prefer to deny that right to, say, mountain-bikers, off-roaders, etc. KIO seem to be operating from a more idealistic principle. I'm not sure just how confrontational they are- they'd have to go a long way to be as confrontational as some landowners have been! I also find the MCI in general VERY patronising and condescending at times. The answer is, I'm only getting into the issue at the mo, and don't know if I have to be "for" either the MCI or KIO. Something has to be done, tho', and done now, 'cause fences are going up, and emotions are starting to run high, and I fear it's only a matter of time before somepone gets hurt...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Originally posted by jerenaugrim
    I also find the MCI in general VERY patronising and condescending at times.

I agree, they have a tendency to look down their noses at everybody else. Mountain bikers and off roaders have as much right to be up there as walkers and climbers.

Actually I'm going to start another thread on this ...

Originally posted by Evil Phil
    I agree, they have a tendency to look down their noses at everybody else. Mountain bikers and off roaders have as much right to be up there as walkers and climbers.

Actually I'm going to start another thread on this ...

Good idea.

I think some of the problems with access may be due to a kind of "superior" attitude among some hillwalkers. In fact, there's a case quoted on the KIO website where a farmer said it was the superior attitude of some hillwalkers on his land that led to a situation escalating.

Don't know where that observation leaves us, tho'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ridgewalker

Last week when on our way up stoompa down near killarney we called in to framer to see if we could take our group up past his farm yard and onto his land. Was nervous about the whole thing praying to God he wouldnt have any problems about it. luckily he was totally cool about it and continued to lead our group up through his property, chatting away and all smiles, and opened the gate to let us onto the hillside.
    I think with how everything is escalating(sp) up in sligo galway etc (and especially with the amount of media converage the access issue is getting) theres no room for trying to blindside the landowners anymore, if not for the sake of your one day out but for everyone who wants to enjoy the hills/mountains in the future.

I was up Mangerton the other day. It was such a relief to just be able to walk onto the hill, no hassle. It's hard to know what way landowners are going to react. Nise to hear a happy story.

Advertisement