Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The way(s) one could go

Options
  • 20-01-2004 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

So, seeing as how there's a nice shiny new Outdoor Pursuits board, I thought it might be a good place to share stuff like route descriptions, favourite walks, etc.

Here's the first in what will (hopefully) be a semi-regular series.

A Maam Turks Taster

Distance: About 25km
    Time: 5 - 7 hours

Map showing the route is here (790K)

The map reproduced here is for illustration purposes only. Please do not use it - excellent maps of the area are available from the Ordnance Survey of Ireland and a number of private companies.

Access issues and rights of way have not been considered.

Like all outdoor pursuits, mountain walking has an element of risk. Stay safe.

Ths is one of my favourite walks - done it many times, so it has a wonderful familiar feel for me. If you have a couple of cars you can even avoid the road-walk at the end of the day and finish with a well-earned pint at Keanes in Maam.

Coming from Galway, you take the N59 towards Clifden and turn right (North) once you get to Maam Cross. Corcog is the big mountain that looms on your left between Maam Cross and Maam.

If you have one car, you have a couple of options:
    1) You can park at the foot of Corcog, half way between Maam Cross and Maam. There are a number of small lay-bys, where your car should be safe enough. Remember not to leave anything valuable visible.
    2) Park in the carpark at Keane's in Maam - the road walk back to the foot of Corcog will help warm you up, and you might even be able to hitch a ride.

If you have more than one car, then leave a car at the foot of Corcog and one in Keane's carpark.

The walk proper starts with a scramble up the steep hillside of Corcog. This should get your heart and lungs working, but rewards you with amazing views back east over Leic Aimhreidh and the Corrib. The plateau on top of of Corcog (613m) is a bit of a navigation nightmare when the visibility is bad, so keep your wits about you - there are a number of crags which could be dangerous if you come on them unawares.

The route snakes its way along the ridge of the Maam Turk mountains, taking in the summits of Mullach Glas (624m) and Bin Mhor (663m). Spectacular views north and south, providing the visibility is good. Again, watch out for the steep crags that are present when you drop off the ridge. You should pick your way down to the saddle of Mam Ean, where you'll head North East on the Western Way. Keep an eye out for the old church and holy well here.

The walk from here is pretty easy, all aong the Western Way until you get back to the main road and can detour across the bridge for some welcome refreshment in Keane's of Maam. They serve a great pint of Guinness.

If you're unlucky enough to have to walk back to your car at the bottom of Corcog it's a bit of a slog - 4 or 5km. Best to avoid this if you can.

Comments welcome - and feel free to add other walks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Thanks for that Cerebus. I'd say it'll be some time before I make it that far West to try it out tho!

I am planning a walk myself this summer (in aid of the Bothar - 3rd world charity org) and I may need such information about walking routes. I still havn't decided for definite on the route.. I was thinking about the Grand canal from Celbridge to the Shannon (South of Athlone) over 3 days but I did day 1 on Monday (Celbridge to Edenderry, 40km) and I am still suffering now so I don't think that'll work - A lot of it was road and too much road walking is very damaging to the feet/legs I've found..

Anyway, another route I was considering was Marley Park (Dublin) to Arklow. This would be easier (well, shorter anyway!) and much more varied and interesting (terrain and landscape) than the canal - but harder to plan and navigate. The 'Wiclow Way' would cover the first 2 days (Marley to Laragh) but its the last section I'm not sure about - Laragh to Arklow.. If anyone has walked this route or part of it (Avondale/Avoca river), any information would be appreciated.. I have the OS Discovery Series map 62 of that area and while very detailed and accurate, it doesn't really show whether routes are 'walkable' or not (boggy ground, overgrown, fields, ditches, dirt paths, etc).

PS - I have some nice walks around Wicklow which I will post up when I get the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 davalanche

a really nice route is the ivreagh walk it takes bout 5 days it starts in millstreet and ends in caherdaniel just on the coast in kerry and it covers pretty much every mountain range between the two which is cool but you can cheat by starting in killarney and do most of it in 4 days
    i dont have a map now so heres a rough descrip

starting from killarney go south to crohane, climb that and follow the ridge on to stoompa and then mangerton from there to knockrower and over to shaking rock come down to the kerry way follow that to purple mountain climb that go over to tomies and the small peak after that and into kate kearneys, from there go up strickeen the small unnamed one that leads on to the southern part of the reeks walk over the reeks as far as carraun tuathill then go over to caher then go down south into the valley between caher and broaghnabinne climb that go west over the other ones next to it "i forget ther names" and onwards to mullaganatinn and finnaragh and some more unnamed ones whose names i cant remember until you end up in caherdaniel where a swim and a pint are well recommended. the distance covered is about 60kms with about 7000 metres climbed and its all covered in os 77, 78 and 79

what a route all in a days work!!!!!
    yeah right

Advertisement