Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Village

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

@Adamcp898 : I'd really like to see a picture of the Final Adamcp898's Christmas Village of 2013!

Have a look in: Woodies; Homebase; Homestore & More; Dealz and Euro-shops. If you have the space, then the shops have all types of houses, buildings, figures, village-scene 'extras' like lamps (street-lighting), post boxes etc along with lickle figuerine animals that light up to complete your Village-Scene!

Most seem battery operated this year, but some are electric. All reasonable prices too.

This year the shops seem to have catered for all Christmas Village Scenes.

What buildings etc have you left to purchase & maybe people could keep an eye out for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

Hey OP how is your village scence coming on ?

The picture in your original post is just heaven. I have a few pieces that I have picked up over the years most of them are the brand Premier which I got in woodies they were plug in ones with bulbs inside them. They are beautiful but were expensive. I was a little disappointed with the few I purchased last year they were battery operated and only had tiny little lights here and there on the outside I think it's much nicer when the whole house lights up from the inside I should have known really as they were too cheap to be electric.

I think it's harder to find that type now but Good luck and post some pics please would love to see how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Broken Strings

I got 6 houses in Heatons for 8 euro each and larger ones in Homestore and More for 19.99 each. Constucting mine this weekend :) We have about 16 Houses so it should be decent sized :)

I got 6 houses in Heatons for 8 euro each and larger ones in Homestore and More for 19.99 each. Constucting mine this weekend :) We have about 16 Houses so it should be decent sized :)

Are the ones out of Heatons the type that light up from the inside ? Are they battery or plug ? Sorry for the load of questions I am on a quest to add to my collection this year and just finding it harder to find the type I want. The ones I got from Woodies where Christmas scenes all by themselves with churches houses etc in one ornament but they are just too expensive so would love a few cheaper ones to add in

• Registered Users Posts: 30 05Mav

Does anyone know where i can get the light fittings only to light up these houses. I lived in America for a while and have some Christmas Village buildings, they all light up from the inside, but they are 120v.

I tried plugging it in for the craic and it works here with a plug adapter, but is way too bright, and could be a potential fire hazard.

I'm not sure if i can change the bulb for something that would work on 240v like a C7 maybe.

Hoping someone here might have a solution for me.

• Advertisement

Emcm wrote: »
    Are the ones out of Heatons the type that light up from the inside ? Are they battery or plug ? Sorry for the load of questions I am on a quest to add to my collection this year and just finding it harder to find the type I want. The ones I got from Woodies where Christmas scenes all by themselves with churches houses etc in one ornament but they are just too expensive so would love a few cheaper ones to add in

They are all battery operated with LEDs around the outside but to be honest it would be so much effort to change the batteries that I am putting a set of LED lights around the bottom of the houses and concealing the wire by covering the whole thing in wadding and poking the bulbs through

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭SurferRosa

Hi, not sure how far along you are, but I just saw an ad on adverts.ie where someone is selling a Christmas village scene for €950. I can't paste the link on this device, but if you search Christmas village scene it should come up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

How does everyone light their village?

The buildings I have aren't lit and I'm looking for something smaller than fairy lights you'd put on a tree.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    How does everyone light their village?

The buildings I have aren't lit and I'm looking for something smaller than fairy lights you'd put on a tree.

You can get little battery operated LEDs in Penneys they might work for you they are a good bit smaller than fairy lights. I am using them for my garland on the fireplace

This is my effort :)

• Advertisement

That is gorgeous Broken Strings love what you did with the fake snow and wee led lights beautiful

My original plan was to put all the houses on a flat piece of Aeroboard and poke the lights up through which is what my mam always does. Unfortunately as soon as I got the aeroboard home I realised that it was too thick to poke the lights through.

What I did instead was Put all the houses on the Aeroboard, use extra aeroboard blocks from the boxes that the original houses came in to stage some higher than others to give the illusion of hills.

Then I put one set of 180 LED lights all around the houses, but it looked bad because it was a dark green wire on a white piece of aeroboard. So I got wadding and cut it into smaller sections. I covered the board and the blocks in the wadding and poked the lights through so the wire was concealed, and then just sprinkled a bag of iridescent snow from Homestore and more over the wadding when I was done.

Arranged the houses and extra bits and Voila. Took me an hour to put the whole thing together.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It's gorgeous! :)

Wow a lot of effort but so worth it looks amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Navilluso

It looks fab!
    Woodies have 50% off since yesterday so I've started a little collection of 3. What's the chances they'll drop to 75% off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

I'm loving the Christmas village pictures and I"m really jealous of those of you with great collections!

I am trying to build up my collection of Christmassy bits. This year my "village" is set in an alternate universe, with all manner of creatures populating it!

xrnxhsb.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Tiger have very reasonable buts to add to a christmas village.
    They have a little scene for 15 euro and 2 little houses for 3 or 4 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paul_c79

Hi again OP,

I hope your Christmas village worked out well last year.

The pictures that some people posted on here looked brilliant of their own villages.

I was in a shop called 'Michael's' arts & crafts store here the other day and saw this class Lemax village they had constructed in the shop. I was mesmerized by the thing, the misses was shopping for supplies as she is making a fall & Christmas wreath from scratch, but I didn't move from the display that they had built. It was class ! I should of taken a picture of it.

I just found the Lemax things on their website and see that they are currently reducing the prices it seems. They don't have much of it but they made the whole scene in the shop look brilliant in fairness. All the Wal-Mart's here are fully kitted out with the Christmas stuff now. They have Lemax aswell.

Boards.ie wont let me post the url link for some reason. Just google Michaels and then type in 'Christmas lemax' in the search bar on the top right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Paul that is so thoughtful, Didn't realise it was an old thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

This is the effort from the soon to be father in law

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

The guardians under our tree,went and bought another 5 stone houses today to make a bigger village for next year.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/127582733@N07/16065928182/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I add one new house or building each year. Mostly home-made!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 joneslouise119

it looks amazing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Sean Amhlaoibh

Great business idea.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Great business idea.

How is this a business idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Reading through this thread and suddenly can't wait for woodies to stock their Christmas decorations! The Christmas village is a lovely idea and unfortunately is the one thing I keep saying i want to do and always get side tracked! You all have me motivated now to get off my butt and do it this year! :)

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Reading through this thread and suddenly can't wait for woodies to stock their Christmas decorations! The Christmas village is a lovely idea and unfortunately is the one thing I keep saying i want to do and always get side tracked! You all have me motivated now to get off my butt and do it this year! :)

1-2 days before christmas day all the stock goes to 50-70% off ;););)

1-2 days before christmas day all the stock goes to 50-70% off ;););)

Every year I keep promising to go in and get some but by time I get in all the good stuff is gone ! Not this will camp out if I have too! Thanks :)

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Every year I keep promising to go in and get some but by time I get in all the good stuff is gone ! Not this will camp out if I have too! Thanks :)

I started mine last year, this year I will add 3-4 more houses to it and I have to get some figures for it too!

• Advertisement

I started mine last year, this year I will add 3-4 more houses to it and I have to get some figures for it too!

Awh! Sounds lovely ! Well make sure to leave some in the shop- ill be looking for a few! I think they look lovely. Actually the local bakers here has a massive window display of a fab village scene with fake snow little motorised ski slopes! All the kids just stop and stare at it for ages :)

Advertisement