Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is your favourite songwriter and why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Dave Clemo

I've read through the posts and I agree with almost all of them, except of course the ones I've never heard of.
    They all have something in common. They're craftsmen with words, expressing something of the human condition that touches the soul. Dylan and Young are near the top- but it's a big mountain with room for songwriters like Mick Hanley, Gretchen Peters, Mary Chapin Carpenter and my all time favourite Richard Thompson.
    Anyone familiar with his work with Fairpost Convention and his solo stuff will be amazed that he's kept his standards sky high for 40 years. And you can't say that about Dylan, Young or the Glimmer Twins. Listen to "Meet on the ledge" and then "Dads gonna kill me" both genius songs written over 40 years apart. Who else can get near that? Not even Irving Berlin- and he lived to be 100.
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Brother A

Mine is: Igor & Earl from the Hoovers & Sledgehammers

Why?
    -Legendary & inspirational riffs & lyrics

Quote: "Kill your way into history you demented motherf*ckaaaaaaaaaaaa"
    Also
    "Shut the f*ck up bonoooooooooooooooooo"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭DMBandit

Neil Finn
    Dave Matthews
    John Mayer
    Chris Cornell

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Ace Ender, complete legend.

"I know it's not so easy when you're all alone
    But I wonder if I'm alone in your head"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

I suppose I'll jump in here with Leonard Cohen, Brian Molko and Matt Johnson apart from the many other great lyricists(spelling?) already mentioned.

Why? Listen. Leonards lyrics can mean anything to anyone and they cheer (yes cheer) you up. Brian's lyrics have attitude and make you wonder and Matt's lyrics are deep and meaningful. My opinion of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Jack DeValera

No mention of Hank Williams or Robert Johnson? Probably the greatest of them all those two were...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Octavarium

Maynard James Keenan cannot be matched for writing songs for a purpose and sticking it to it. I really admire when lyricists manage to keep away from repeatedly using "you" or "I" in a song i.e. "Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion between supposed brothers". He really manages to make you resent the ignorance of the world.

Buckley's use of jazz fusion chords is mind boggling also...

And John Mayer, catchy, simple, yet thoroughly technical.

Finally, Ray Lamontagne. "Burn" for example; a man, a broken heart, a voice, and a guitar. Really soulful stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

james morrision definitely, chris martin and also ne-yo...Last dude may be a bit soppy for most your likings but is a good song-writer and doesn't compromise a song for rythm. james morrision is class, has the voice to back up his songs too, definite honestly in his songs.I can identify with his music easily. Chris martin has been accused as being very doring and depressing but everyone has their own type of music and he must be respected for his masterful lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

I'm new to this forum but i thought i'd wade in.

My overall favourite would have to be mr. Ryan Adams.
    In a relatively short career the wealth of material he's produced is astounding. added to that the fact that he has written most of my favourite songs
    (starlight diner-29
    why do they leave-heartbreaker
    world war 24- love is hell
    wild flowers-Gold
    harder now that its over- gold
    dear chicago- demolition
    to name but a few)

I think in time he could well be viewed as the best songwriter of this generation.---(he already is by me):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Ryan lost all appeal for me around the Whiskeytown Pnuemonia Album and Heartbreaker. Both those albums had songs I loved and hated on them.

Rural Free Delivery
    Faithless Street
    Strangers Almanac

Those are where it's at for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

MattKid wrote: »
    Ryan lost all appeal for me around the Whiskeytown Pnuemonia Album and Heartbreaker. Both those albums had songs I loved and hated on them.

Rural Free Delivery
    Faithless Street
    Strangers Almanac

Those are where it's at for me

Really? well each to their own. in fairness though there's such a wealth of material in his solo gear that i'd be surprised if you couldn't find anything that appealed to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

Have to say leonard cohen, i think famous Blue raincoat is an extraordinary piece of work, tells so much. (tickets on sale tomorrow!!!!!)

Also tom waits has some really visual lyrics,

But I always find myself making my way back to Bob Dylan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭KeithMaster

kristofferson an absolute genius songwriter, extremely underrated and write's songs that tug at the heart strings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Dustin Kensrue of Thrice.

Don't need to explain why. All you need to do is have a listen to any one of their songs. His lyrics are absolutely magical! They're deep, they're meaningful, they're christian, they're phylosophical, they're emotional.
    Dustin Kensrue is the best current lyricist out there in my opinion.
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=W6v6CdTWoZA

Saul Williams comes close. He's more of a poet than a songwriter but woah his stuff is powerful! He is the most powerful black writer out there in my opinion.
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=jzY2-GRDiPM
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=U2t-yqYOvCM

Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails,
    Maynard James Keenan of Tool and
    Thom Yorke of Radiohead come close next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭nycman

Paul Simon
    Bruce Springsteen
    Hank Williams
    Glenn Frey/Don Henley
    Leonard Cohen

All fantastic artists who could fit great tunes around their masterful lyrics/

Lennon/Mccartney are a bit over-rated,Lennon especially.

Dylan was always a little whiney for me but I do enjoy the odd one(Hurricane for example)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

As OP said there are so many ie, Lennon McCartney ,Jagger Richards ,Brian wilson ,james taylor ,goffin king , bacharach and david ,Dylan ,and just noticed my selction is manly sixties artists but perhaps that says more of that period when songs were being written and put to a record like a production line .

• Subscribers Posts: 693 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

John Frusciante

Some of his solo stuff is beautiful! Shadows Collide with People is a great album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭shakespeare

Springsteen still surprises me with his songwriting...amazing to this day...
    Mark Kozelek is unbelievebly under rated...

but for me...no one touches the imagintation of tom waits...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Bob Dylan by far :D imo

its like he's in my head, knowing what im thinking before i think it and making songs about my thoughts that I havent thought yet lol

I <3 bob...cant wait to see him in July :D (july right?...yeah...july....*goes off to check tickets)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

Neil Young hasn't been mentioned for a while...prolific through four decades, no one comes close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Would have to be Sarah McLachlan,her stuff is brilliant. And i dont mean Angel its a great song but imo not her best. Fumbling Towards Ecstacy album is amazing.

Would be partial to some Neil Finn myself!!!!!!! Into Temptation is a great track!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭cufroige

sambuka41 wrote: »
    Would have to be Sarah McLachlan,her stuff is brilliant. And i dont mean Angel its a great song but imo not her best. Fumbling Towards Ecstacy album is amazing.

Ditto!!!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭column

Tori Amos
    Kate Bush

After that it's really only a hand-ful of songs by each singer that I like.

Good songwriters with bands - Neil Finn, Michael Stipe, Damon Albarn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Mark Kozelek and Matt Berninger (of The National).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

don mescal would be up there anyway but thats quite the question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

Declan O Rourke people! Cant believe no one mentioned him yet. He is an unbelievable poet...
    If you do one thing today, buy Since Kyabram and listen to Marrying the Sea. Thank me later. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 thinerlizzy

Bono is the greatest song writer of all time... his lyrics are absolutely amazing and he will always be an inspiration to millions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Eddie Vedder are the ones that come to mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Bono is the greatest song writer of all time... his lyrics are absolutely amazing and he will always be an inspiration to millions!

worst forst post ever hahaha:p:p:p:pjust kidding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 flav

John Darnielle, David Berman, Bill Calahan, Thurston Moore

im gone all americano underground

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Lynskey

Thom Yorke--Emotive,Grungy,Satiric,Observant and Honest. An absolute genius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Right now, Julia Nunes.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jaaaaaaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭the hero game

DAMIEN JURADO
    his songs are simply astonishing & he has a great voice
    check out secretlycanadian.com for free mp3s, try 'what were the chances' to start with

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭column

nah...I dont agree. He is good but hardly the greatest.

I would put Morrissey ahead of him and Eminem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Tawfee

Robert Forster & Grant McLennan (The Go-Betweens) - writers of so many perfectly crafted songs

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lloyderz

JOSHUA RADIN

www.joshuaradin.com

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Elliott Smith without a question and amongst the still living - Jeff Tweedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

John Lennon had it all.

Lyrics,Melody,Originality,Consistency...

Overall nobody else comes close imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 melahide

My favorite Songwriter was, is and always will be... Brian Wilson! He is well known for his work in the 1960... he wrote songs, arranged them and produced them... and he used chords which are hardly to find in any other pop song...

I love his melodies and his music... I can´t say anymore about it... it´s just love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭pauline fayne

my favourites are Jimmy mac'Carthy ('Ride On' 'No Frontiers ''The Contender' etc.,) , surprised no one has mentioned him ..
    also Emily Saliers -(from the Indigo Girls )
    and Nick Cave

• Advertisement

Recently I've taken a liking to Tom Waits, and Leonard Cohen :) Great lyrics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 igotone

Honestly I'd have to say me.

Seriously, I have been writing for years and some of my songs have made complete strangers cry. I just have a natural way with words and can wrap them in a melody very quickly

I don't mean to sound arrogant but I think I have a gift from God and I want to use it in the best way I can and touch as many hearts in this world as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

igotone wrote: »
    Honestly I'd have to say me.

Seriously, I have been writing for years and some of my songs have made complete strangers cry. I just have a natural way with words and can wrap them in a melody very quickly

I don't mean to sound arrogant but I think I have a gift from God and I want to use it in the best way I can and touch as many hearts in this world as possible.

lets hear some so...

Maccattack wrote: »
    lets hear some so...

Have a look back at the Songwriting forum, I've posted a few there recently

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

igotone wrote: »
    Have a look back at the Songwriting forum, I've posted a few there recently

No music posted with those lyrics, unless I'm mistaken. So your statement about your ability is a little out there.

It's a better thread if there's some sort of reference point, something more tangible than lyrics to two songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Knon

Almost completely forgotten, her songs are amazing: Jesus was a crossmaker, The Phoenix, There's a rugged road, The Vigilante.

If one of these songs got in a famous ad or film, we'd all know about her.

Also the guy who wrote 'In the rare oul' times'. What a great song that is! Gonna look up his wiki page.

humberklog wrote: »
    No music posted with those lyrics, unless I'm mistaken. So your statement about your ability is a little out there.

It's a better thread if there's some sort of reference point, something more tangible than lyrics to two songs.

Yep, you're right, I'm keeping pretty much in line with all others who post songs here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

I think Dylan is the main one, he's sort of the origin of many songwriters afterwards such as my other favourite, Lennon. My respect for Bono as a song writer has slowly been peeled away throughout the years, but at his Actung Baby prime, he was hard to touch. I think those 3 form the bedrock of what I like to listen to with regards to lyricists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭JohnnyQuid

It's so hard to pick just one when there are so many of them out there.

Clayton Stroope
    Billie Joe Armstrong
    J'Lostein
    Chris Hendricks
    Danny O'Donoghue

• Advertisement

Can't believe I neglected to mention Paul Simon :eek:

He's one of my favourites of all time

Advertisement