Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is your favourite songwriter and why?

Options
  • 09-03-2007 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

There are so many and it's a bit like being asked which sibling you love most. I guess in a way it comes down to so many personal things rather than any system for quantifying who is actually the best. For me it would be Neil Finn. He is a songwriter that even with the simplest touches gets everything in its perfect place. Songs like 4 Seasons, Better be Home Soon, Only Natural absolutely blow me away.
    Who's your favourite?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I used to think that Fall at your feet was the perfect pop ballad. He used 4 basic chords (that have been used and abused for so long), kept to very simple riffs, and yet the result was fantastic.

Don McLean writes the most amazing stuff as well when he's not busy writing ****e songs. The words are pure poetry, the guitar playing is amazing...

Which brings us to Jim Croce who was also halfway between genius and country crap...

I need to listen to more recent stuff, but I'm currently working my way up from the 60's, and it took me ten years to reach '79. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Graham Smith. I spent many years of my life in a band with this guy who wrote/writes the most amazing, poignent honest, heartfelt and beautiful songs I have ever heard. Sadly he couldnt get off the drugs so we never went anywhere despite my very best efforts to get the band off the ground.

I havent seen him in over 12 years but to this day there isnt a single songwritter that comes close for me. A lot of his songs still float around my head and heart to this day.

As for recorded songwritters. My faves would be.

Forster/McLennan
    Hirst/Moginie
    Nick Cave
    Bob Mould
    Jagger/Richards

and a few more besides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Jeff.

That is all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

For me Neil Young, Kris Kristofferson, Don McLean would be big favourites, but I've really got into the Finn Brothers/Crowded house stuff in the past few years courtesy of one of my guitar buddies, so I agree with what you've said.
    There's so many though, its nearly unfair to have a favourite, but 9 times out of 10 if I feel like singing a song it'll be a Neil Young song.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

deswalsh wrote:
    There's so many though, its nearly unfair to have a favourite, but 9 times out of 10 if I feel like singing a song it'll be a Neil Young song.

Neil gets my vote too, you can comen back to him again and again and again.

Other guys I like...Van Morrison, John Martyn, Nick Drake and Pearl Jam/Ed Vedder.

• Advertisement

judas101 wrote:
    Jeff.

That is all.

Buckley, Beck or Lynn?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

judas101 wrote:
    Jeff.

That is all.

Yeah, Jeff Hannemann is an excellent writer. Possibly Isahn for me, or Mikael Akerfeldt, or Paul Masvidal and Jason Gobels...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

frobisher wrote:
    There are so many and it's a bit like being asked which sibling you love most. I guess in a way it comes down to so many personal things rather than any system for quantifying who is actually the best. For me it would be Neil Finn. He is a songwriter that even with the simplest touches gets everything in its perfect place. Songs like 4 Seasons, Better be Home Soon, Only Natural absolutely blow me away.
    Who's your favourite?

I'd have to agree with you; Crowded house had another song on Together Alone called 'Nails in my Feet' and it's again that classic simple chord progression, almost circular, that's beautiful...and then half way thru, it just reaches for the heavens with a new-ish melody and it's just perfect. If, as we used say at the height of 80's cold war paranoia, the 4 minute warning ever goes off, it'd be my entire crowded house collection going on random play...it'd be hard to be disappointed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

It's extremely hard to pick just a few but ones that have been mentioned already

- Don McLean, Neil Young...etc. are great.

Obviously, Springsteen and Lennon/McCartney, Van Morrison, Dylan etc. are all great.

I just love Dolly Parton's songwriting. Colin Hay is another one that comes to mind.

A personal favourite would be Freddie Mercury! :)

TelePaul wrote:
    Buckley, Beck or Lynn?

Buckley of course.

• Advertisement

see, that's why you have to specify, and why I took the piss out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Gary Barlow.

judas101 wrote:
    Buckley of course.

That's interesting...he didn't write much of anything really. He had one album to his name and didn't write my favourite song on it. Mojo Pin is excellent though.

I dunno, Sketches For My Sweetheart, The Drunk is pretty damn good.

TelePaul wrote:
    That's interesting...he didn't write much of anything really. He had one album to his name and didn't write my favourite song on it. Mojo Pin is excellent though.

Sketches is amazing.

Theres a few others brilliant songs that werent on that either like "forget her".

judas101 wrote:
    Sketches is amazing.

Theres a few others brilliant songs that werent on that either like "forget her".

Forget her is on the legacy re-issue of Grace right? I don't know about Sketches, for me it'll never be a Jeff Buckley album because of largely unfinished it was. Chris Cornell did a great job in its overseeing, but for me, Jeffs legacy as a songwriter is still somewhat up in the air. He's undoubtedly one of the greatets musicians of all time though; live at sin é (the newer version) is an incredible showcase of his ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

aside from the usual list of genii (dylan, young etc) i think elvis costello is quite wonderful

TelePaul wrote:
    Forget her is on the legacy re-issue of Grace right?

It is indeed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

ogy wrote:
    aside from the usual list of genii (dylan, young etc) i think elvis costello is quite wonderful

Of course! - I agree. See, once you start picking favourites you start missing on on some! Elvis costello is a phenomonal song-writer, good enough that even as a teenager mad on heavy metal in the eighties I enjoyed his stuff. (didnt tell me hairy mates though!)

and on people I've missed, what about Tom Waits? another fine songwriter, though I prefer other people singing his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

One of my favourites is Al Stewart. He tends to keep clear of the usual baby-I- miss-your-love kind of lyrics and tells a story through his songs. Plus the music itself is always top notch and memorable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Its gotta be Springsteen to me. I think the visions of hope he creates with the majority of his songs are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Dylan, Paul simon, Springsteen, shane mcgowen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

oleras wrote:
    Dylan, Paul simon, Springsteen, shane mcgowen
    forgot about shane mcgowen. one of the most amazing song writers (totally under-rated) out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Shane McGowan is a good one all right. Imagine sitting at a piano and when you stood up from it you'd written Fairytale of New York. I think I'd cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Sting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Josh Homme! Queens of the stone age!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Being 40 now, I guess it is not unusual that "the favourite" songwriter(s) havs/have changed.

In my own case I really can´t say. There were times when I was looking behind the noise and thought (and still think) that KISS´ Paul Stanley is a very underrated songwriter but so is Vince Clarke (Erasure). If you listen to their 2006 acoustic album "Union Street" it is obvious that the electronic around the song sometimes disguises the song and downgrades it.

Always great was and is Barry Gibb. Not all songs were showcased well but he wrote for so many people and so many songs are simply beautiful and well arranged and thought out.

Prince would be another example of a genius who is not easy to get.

Safest bet: Paul Simon - always predictable, always great. Although voice wise he is just not Art Garfunkel.

Anyway, it is so difficult.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Jim Steinman.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Rivers Cuomo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Amy Lee from Evanescence and Tuomas Holopanainen from the band Nightwish. I consider them geniuses - there's a certain kind of musical purity and originality that I find in their songs.

Advertisement