Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make my Dad understand I don't want a "big" present?

Options
  • 18-12-2013 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

My Dad lost his job early in the year and hasn't been able to get another except for a few weeks here and there.

He still wants to get me something big for Christmas.

I don't want him to get into debt or take the car off the road or whatever to buy me shyte I can live without. I've suggested a pair of shoes from Penney's for €14.99 or some earrings from Argos for €23.99 but he just won't listen.

I've suggested next year if he's back working he can get me an extra special one if he wants, but he doesn't have to, thinking that could be a good compromise but he just won't listen.

A cheap pair of earrings would come with as much love as a state of the art computer, and that is what really matters to me. I'm not going to benchmark him against other parents based on what is in his wallet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

The problem is he is an adult and he has to make his own choice about what to give. You've said it to him, you can't really do much more. I'm in a similar position to him, in that I've been out of work for months and it is absolutely horrible knowing I can't get my gf or my family lovely big presents. But rent/ food/ etc comes first so they're getting cheaper and hand made presents. But I can see where your Dad is coming from too. It's a tough one.

Advertisement