Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is your favourite songwriter and why?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Shoop

Bob Dylan - Must anyone explain?
    John Lennon - More-so after he met Dylan
    Pete Doherty - A breath of fresh air to the scene with whats around now
    Scroobis Pip - An under-appreciated poet
    Ian Curtis - Well.....just fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Not many mentions of Noel Gallagher here? Look past 'wonderwall' and the like and look into 'Gas Panic' (From Standing on The Shoulder Of Giants), a soaring piece of psychedelica. A songwriter written off far too much due to the face oasis are always lumped with the beatles obsession that everyone makes a meal out of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Keggers

Tomas Kalnoky of Streetlight Manifesto

Not only are the lyrics very intelligent but they gel perfectly with the music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭emurf

I can't believe no one has mentioned Josh Ritter. This Guy is amazing.

just where it now lies I can no longer say
    I found it on a cold and November day
    in the roots of a sycamore tree where it had hid so long
    in a box made out of myrtle lay the bone of song
    the bone of song was a jawbone old and bruised
    and worn out in the service of the muse
    and along its sides and teeth were written words
    I ran my palm along them and I heard
    lucky are you who finds me in the wilderness
    I am the only unquiet ghost that does not seek rest
    the words on the bone of song were close and small
    and though their tongues were dead I found I knew them all
    in the hieroglyphs of quills and quatrain lines
    Osiris—the fall of Troy—Auld Lang Syne
    Kathleen Mauvoreen—Magnificat—Your Cheatin’ Heart
    the chords of a covenant king singing for the Ark
    then I saw on a white space that was left
    a blessing written older than the rest
    it said leave me here I care not for wealth or fame
    I’ll remember your song – but I’ll forget your name
    the words that I sang blew off like the leaves in the wind
    and perched like birds in the branches before landing on the bone again
    then the bone was quiet it said no more to me
    so I wrapped it in the ribbons of a sycamore tree
    and as night had come I turned around and headed home
    with a lightness in my step and a song in my bones
    lucky are you who finds me in the wilderness
    I am the only unquiet ghost that does not seek rest

Also Glen Hansard has to get a mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Kurt Cobains work is so real.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Danmilanman

there are the obvious ones, classics, but in my view, the best modern irish songwriter is damien dempsey. he speaks for a generation, speaks the truth and speaks to everyone. a true great

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mandude

Jeff Lynne would have to be mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Tom Waits because his lyrics are well written and cover a wide variety of themes and stuff.
    Of course you have Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton etc... also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

My current favourite is Tim Minchin :) Great lyrics, wonderful piano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

Generally I pay more attention to the music than the lyrics but two people who I find more and more enjoyable lyrically are Mark Knopfler and Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull.

Anderson has quite a way with words. He's a real observer of situations and puts that across in his lyrics. A lot of his lyrics are quite personal without being cheesy. I can't think of many people who do this well.

Knopfler is a stunning story teller. Many of his songs could be labelled 'folk songs'. I know he reads a lot and he's a master at painting a scene in song. I love the way he sets some of his songs in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Bruce Dickinson from Iron maiden (along with Steve Harris) hands down.

And er, my dirty secret, Dani Filth from Cradle of Filth. I just love his epic grasp on Lore and Mythology, His lyrics are soooo accurate on both subjects and make them work with real life events. Dont flame, Its my opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

Id have to say Jack Johnson most easy to listen, relaxed music around. I suppose if you lived in Hawaii too, you'd be relaxed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ciano12

oer o'shea the sod's
    savage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

This thread is proof that people have diverse tastes and why with these music influences we produce so many crap singer songwriters who can't write songs.

Musts for any would be singer songwriter:

Leonard Cohen.
    Elliot Smith- Google Angeles- NOW
    Jeff Buckley
    Ray Lamontagne- although in fairness it's just his voice but his constructions are good for anyone that wants to learn some good tunes and isn't overly technically profficient on the guitar yet.
    Dave Matthews
    Fionn Regan
    Mundy- yes Mundy - as a trad player a lot of dadgad and dadgbd tunings
    Paddy Casey- hit and miss but some good finger picks

Anyone that mentions Damian Rice will be shot. Can't sing and robbed all the songs from Juniper.

as for the person who said Bono :rolleyes: must of the lyrics are banged out in a frenzy of panic in the studio as he says himself he just bangs anything down.

And Eminem? huh? what genre do people think this is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭JohnnyQuid

I'm gonna have to say Billie Joe Armstrong.For me (a pacifist) his lyrics just captivate me.I love how he tackles corrupt governments and war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DixonBainbridge

Noel Gallagher and David Gray. Can't choose between the two which one I like the most. David Gray's songs have been with me since I was in school. I was the only person in my school who liked him and owned his album until white ladder. Then people started liking him. I was so glad he got the recognition he deserved. I don't know anyone who likes his music as much as me though, I have all his albums, my mates just tend to listen to the odd hit single of his. Noel Gallagher and David Gray are the reason I write songs and play guitar.

In second place it would be Kristian Matsson (The Tallest Man on Earth)

****ing love his music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

for me it would have to be either dylan - the quality of his lyrics open your sense to the world and his emotion when he sings makes up for the fact he hasnt a note in his head

paul weller - working class shakespeare

joe strummer--- the single greatest writer of the last century the second dylan insightful political lyrics r.i.p joe

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭CeNedra

I could list off the list of names that I have been nattering about for years, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits .... usual list of brilliant song writers.

But, I saw Mick Flannery in Kilkenny on Friday. I couldn't believe how beautiful his lyrics are. Well beautiful and depressing at the same time. I actually think he is one of the best song writers to come out of Ireland .... not faint praise I know, but this guy is just so amazing. I am now a big fan and my list has changed to ..... Mick Flannery, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits etc etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 The Nation

Noel Gallagher. The reasons are fairly obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Cat Stevens (pre Yusuf Islam.....) - great song writer, great voice, great melodies. Father and Son is incredible. Incredible.

Same characteristics apply to Paul Simon and Leonard Cohen (I like his voice though Jeff Buckley's cover of Halelujeh was better than Cohen's.)

Loads more too but those three stand out......Pink Floyd have the best lyrics of any band I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Fabo

lennon/mccartney
    brown/squire
    jagger/richards
    dylan
    guthrie
    jackson frank
    leon payne
    neil young
    townshend
    behan
    ewan mccoll
    pete st john
    john martyn
    van
    chuck berry
    tim hardin
    buddy holly
    sonny curtis
    bryant/bryant
    greenwich
    brian wilson

and all the traditional writers whoever they were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 JackMagic

John Mayer

writes what he feels

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭musicmania

Just been reading all the posts in this topic. An impossible question to answer but a few contenders would include:

Bruce Springsteen
    Leonard Cohen
    Jon Bon Jovi
    Billy Joel
    Paul Simon
    John Denver RIP
    Jimmy McCarthy
    Brendan Keeley

I could go on and on here. I love singer/songwriters and love nothing more than an acoustic gig listening the stories behind the songs and then the songs themselves :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Billy Bragg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Nick Drake.

Oh yeah and why...

He's quite one dimensional but that dimension is solid. True reflection of the writers feelings and mind. No one can disagree the songs are beautiful. Gives another element of torture and disillusionment to know the under appreciation the music had at the time of writing. A genius at work with alternate tunings and totally devoted to experimenting with those tunings. Wrote with basic feeling more than anyother song writer I know of as this next "song" (I know it has no lyrics) demonstrates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 thekeeneye

Check this singer/songwriter out. Her name is Lisa Shane. Saw her playing in Vicar Street few months ago playing support. Sweet voice. videos funny...maybe it's the quality but the songs a winner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mesa 26

my favourite songwriter would be diane warren the woman is a living legend, i also like jimmy webb.i would advise anybody learning songwriting to watch how clever she is at song construction.
    expecting our first child soon, calling her diane.
    i begged my wife ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

MF Doom.

He tends to make his punchlines convoluted and obscure to the point that it's hard to work out exactly what he means and you catch different meanings on each listen. Combine this with bizarre pop culture references and dated slang and you're still hearing new stuff after the 100th listen, especially because he tends to bury the best lines in the middle of a 4 minute verse. No other rapper comes close as far as I'm concerned.

RA The Rugged Man would be my 2nd choice because he can combine really technical rhyming and simple rhyming in the same verse and it still sounds incredibly cohesive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Jesse Lacey for me. He's in a band called Brand New and has written some of the best lyrics I've heard in a very long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

anyone who can write the following:

Go ’way from my window,
    Leave at your own chosen speed.
    I’m not the one you want, babe,
    I’m not the one you need.
    You say you’re lookin’ for someone
    Never weak but always strong,
    To protect you an’ defend you
    Whether you are right or wrong,
    Someone to open each and every door,
    But it ain’t me, babe,
    No, no, no, it ain’t me, babe,
    It ain’t me you’re lookin’ for, babe.

Go lightly from the ledge, babe,
    Go lightly on the ground.
    I’m not the one you want, babe,
    I will only let you down.
    You say you’re lookin’ for someone
    Who will promise never to part,
    Someone to close his eyes for you,
    Someone to close his heart,
    Someone who will die for you an’ more,
    But it ain’t me, babe,

Go melt back into the night, babe,
    Everything inside is made of stone.
    There’s nothing in here moving
    An’ anyway I’m not alone.
    You say you’re looking for someone
    Who’ll pick you up each time you fall,
    To gather flowers constantly
    An’ to come each time you call
    A lover for your life an’ nothing more,
    But it ain’t me, babe,

.........and follow it up with this a few years later:

Once upon a time you dressed so fine
    You threw the bums a dime in your prime, didn't you ?
    People'd call, say, "Beware doll, you're bound to fall"
    You thought they were all kiddin' you
    You used to laugh about
    Everybody that was hangin' out
    Now you don't talk so loud
    Now you don't seem so proud
    About having to be scrounging for your next meal.

How does it feel
    How does it feel
    To be without a home
    Like a complete unknown
    Like a rolling stone ?

You've gone to the finest school all right, Miss Lonely
    But you know you only used to get juiced in it
    And nobody has ever taught you how to live on the street
    And now you find out you're gonna have to get used to it
    You said you'd never compromise
    With the mystery tramp, but know you realize
    He's not selling any alibis
    As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
    And say do you want to make a deal?

How does it feel
    How does it feel
    To be on your own
    With no direction home
    Like a complete unknown
    Like a rolling stone ?
    You never turned around to see the frowns on the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all come down and did tricks for you
    You never understood that it ain't no good
    You shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you
    You used to ride on the chrome horse with your diplomat
    Who carried on his shoulder a Siamese cat
    Ain't it hard when you discover that
    He really wasn't where it's at
    After he took from you everything he could steal.

How does it feel
    How does it feel
    To be on your own
    With no direction home
    Like a complete unknown
    Like a rolling stone ?

Princess on the steeple and all the pretty people
    They're drinkin', thinkin' that they got it made
    Exchanging all precious gifts
    But you'd better take your diamond ring, you'd better pawn it babe
    You used to be so amused
    At Napoleon in rags and the language that he used
    Go to him now, he calls you, you can't refuse
    When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose
    You're invisible now, you got no secrets to conceal.

How does it feel
    How does it feel
    To be on your own
    With no direction home
    Like a complete unknown
    Like a rolling stone ?

and ends up with something like this 40 years on:

Man came to the door, I say 'for whom were you lookin'?' Says 'your wife', I say 'she's busy in the kitchen cookin'' Po' boy, where you been? Already told you, won't tell you again I say 'how much you want for that, I'll go into the store' Man says 'three dollars' 'all right', I say, 'will you take four?' Po' boy, never say die Things will be all right, by and by Workin' like in a main line, workin' like the devil The game is the same it's just up on another level Po' boy, dressed in black Police at your back Po' boy in a red hot town Out beyond the twinklin' stars Ridin' first class train Makin' the rounds Try to keep from fallin' between the cars Othello told Desdemona "I'm cold, cover me with a blanket" "By the way, what happened to that poisoned wine?" She said "I gave it to you, you drank it" Po' boy, layin' 'em straight Pickin' up the cherries fallin' off the plate Time and love has branded me with its claws Had to go to Florida, dodgin' them Georgia laws Po' boy in the hotel called the Palace of Gloom Called down to room service, says 'send up a room' My mother was the daughter of a wealthy farmer My father was a traveling salesman, I never met him When my mother died my uncle took me in he run a funeral parlor He did a lot of nice things for me and I won't forget him All I know is that I'm thrilled by your kiss I don't know any more than this Po' boy, pickin' up sticks Build you a house out of mortar and bricks Knockin' on the door, I say 'who is it, where you from?' Man say 'Freddie', I say 'Freddie who?' He say 'Freddie or not, here I come' Po' boy 'neath the stars that shine Washin' them dishes, feedin' them swine

.....he get's my vote....:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭DanHendrix

Noel Gallagher...Danny O Donaghoue,Mark Sheehan(The Script)..Their song Breakeven is so powerful...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

hers a good few people i look up to

tom deleonge
    gary barlow
    benjamin gibbard
    phil aoki
    vince clarke
    chris carraba's
    john foxx
    felix cartal
    and the saturdays hahahahah only jokin

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

john prine, he's got it, whatever it is.
    jagger/richards, they've got it too.
    dylan, 'suppose he's got it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

oh, and forgot Bruce..........if he hasn't got it, nobody has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭dixiefly

This is a bit like trying to choose the best food, there are so many many choices and tastes out there that people wont agree but the debate is interesting.

However, I am still surprised that there has been little or no mention of the following: Randy Newman, Warren Zevon, John Martyn, Buddy Holly, Carole King, Paul Brady to add to the many greats such as Bruce, Paul Simon, Neil Young, Paul McCartney, Tom Waits, Jackson Browne etc

If I had to choose 1 it would have to be Randy Newman. the guys songwriting is just so witty & insightful plus he has written great arrangements for his songs. On top of that he has also excelled at film scores. He hasnt produced a bad album but if you want to get into him try out Good old Boys, Little Criminals or Trouble in Paradise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 foals

bob dylan, david bowie,james murphy {lcd soundsystem} of course and i think conor o brien from villagers is somthing special the meaning of the ritual and ship of promises are unbelivable tracks actually all his songs are great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 summer2010

Can't name a specific writer, but i greatly admire the work created by "The Clutch". There are 5 writers in the clutch, and any combination of two or more of the 5 writers on a song is considered a track "written by The Clutch" as they rarely work as a complete fivesome.
    They've worked with artisits such as Timberland and Britney. Love them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Mark E. Smith, Lou Reed, Morrissey, Daniel Johnston, Jeffrey Lewis etc.

Advertisement