Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting someone ( hopefully famous ! ) to record your music

Options
  • 23-11-2008 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi , my dream is quite common I'm sure - I want someone to record my songs and have a top ten hit!
    Ive done the pub band scene years ago and have no more apetite for it but I reckon I have a few good songs that I won't be taking anywhere myself ( I'm too old , too tired , too busy ! )
    I would happily have anyone from Kylie to Christy Moore sing my songs as long as I get the writers cut.
    I have no music industry contacts so no clue how to proceed.
    Anyone here gone down this route and how did you get on ?
    thanks for any tips.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 anita.cathider

pluckey wrote: »
    I want someone to record my songs and have a top ten hit!

Don't mean to be mean but I've a great song too and want to be first!

Get in line!!!!

Record it yourself and release it online!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 pluckey

fair enough Anita , I'll get in line behind you!
    Seriously though , I am not looking to record the songs myself , I've played them in pubs and given demo cd's out years ago .
    I'm not looking for online opinions on the songs either .
    I do see the only way that I can make anything ( and I do mean money here ) out of them is for someone else to record them.
    I know most big name rock bands write their own stuff but are there publishers in Ireland that can push songs to anyone likely to make money?
    Ive just looked at the IMRO site , it doesnt say much about how to kick it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

It's a lot of work to make a living in this way. Writing songs good enough to cut the mustard isn't one bit easy. But if you've done that then you need to record it to a high standard then send it to artist's publishers you think would like teh song. Irish one's are listed in the Hot press yearbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭landcruiserfj62

The most important factor imo is a really well mixed, almost radio ready reference version of your track...the next important factor is getting it into the right hands (example: dont hand a rock song to a hip hop A&R, no point)....know exactly what type of artist you have in mind for the song...a&rs generally dont like to stretch their imagination. And be ready, if the label decides to cut the record if its a pop song have the backing track files ready to send...

p.s if anyone here feels they have a hit on their hands then pm me!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

copywright it

send it in to phantom fm, if they like, u might get some airtime(depending on the genre), and create a myspace page and slap up your songs....get some fans :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭RichCRX

Ok I wouldn't know too much about this but from what I've learned from djing and If I was to do what your hoping to do I'd do the following;

Ok you'l need to record some sort of demo,it has to be done to set out and example.

Firstly copyright all your stuff...whose to say you may send off stuff and the person you sent it to may then claim ownership to it leaving you with nothing but hearsay.

Secondly...absolutley plague recording studios demo after demo sent in along with what you want it to achieve. Theres no such thing as harrassment if its encouraged:D

If you start to get annoyed with that and feel its not working...do it even more. It shows your truely serious about this and shows your enthuasiasm and determination to make it work.

Ok if you believe that your getting no where this way plague all radio stations and try get air time...but also explain that although its you singing the demo that might get air time...try get the radio to advertise that you would like to hold auditions as such for people to use your songs in the hope that it will bring your songs to that extra level that you'd could not due to other commitments.

If that fails...look for young and upcoming bands or whatever kind of muscians your looking for.Theyre advertised everywhere ok...bebo,myspace etc... everywhere. Let them know your story and try to create an interest in them.Upcoming bands will always welcome this stuff or else should do as songwriting won't always come immediatley for them and they will end up doing covers. However the downfall with this method is you'l have to find a band that you think are up to the standard...there must be complete cooperation and your songs must be that good!!!You'l have to work with the band keeping in mind that they are going to be the next best thing i.e. your songs might not make you money or fame straight away.

Look I don't know if any of that has been any help but I believe in that if your really want something bad enough you should be willing to go that extra mile...pure determination to make it work is what will get ya through.You have to advertise your songs everywhere!!!Your not the only one with the same dream as you can imagine so you've alot to compete against but the thing is not to give up.If you think you've done enough e.g. sent in loads of demos then send in even more.Too much is never enough.

I could probably think of loads of other ways to get your songs noticed i.e. give dj's/bands demo's of your stuff after their gigs etc... to tired to write anymore:rolleyes:

hth anyway if ya want more ideas or help just pm me and good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

this isnt as easy as it may seem.
    first up, theres no real way to copyright your material other than registering your band as a business, treating your songs as products, recording them and either put copies in a solicitors office or a bank vault - somewhere where there is a paper trail. theres obviously still no way to prove that the material claimed to be on the recording is the actual one on the recording when the original cd was put in the solicitors/bank. Posting a cd to yourself isnt really worth the stamp especially if you ever have to open it to prove the point.

getting other people top play your music means getting a publisher. publishers sell you music to other bands and publishers - you normally dont get a say on what the other artist does to your tune as they are paying you royalties to use it, which means they can do what they please with it. I doubt cohen could do anything about that horrible christmas tune.

problem is that theres less and less chance a publisher will look at anyone not alredy making a steady income from music which is why many bands self publish. t he only problem there is a good publisher has a lot of worldwide contacts with people who can pay decent money - if you;re publishing yourself you'll obviously not have these contacts

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

The ONLY possible way is too record a good quality studio demo and send it to the relevant artists. Christy Moore has a postal address you can send songs to - bare in mind he probably gets thousands of cds every year so the chances of him even listening to your song are probably slim unless you are very lucky. You also have the likes of Daniel O' Donnell, Johnny Logan, Brendan Bowyer (not sure if he's still recording) and any of those guys from the showband days that are still around.

Getting to Louis Walsh and co. is impossible they use professional songwriters.

It's not easy at all and it involves a lot of luck. Look for some up and coming artists to record them and they could evolve from there..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Taxi anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

i have yet to meet anyone who has made money from TAXI (besides paying them money that is). You shouldnt have to pay a publisher to sell your music - the publisher should be happy to take a cut WHEN they sell it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 JohnnyIrvine666

I live in near Sligo and theres this guy i know called Rory he's a acoustic singer/ songwriter (just in 4th year) i know who playd @ this talent show in town last night, a few years ago you might remember Tabby who was on The X-Factor from Sligo well @ this show last night Tabby gave Rory his number for his recording studio!! Hehehe..... so keep a look out for Rory!!

I know that isn't much help but just 2 tell ye's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

The ONLY possible way is too record a good quality studio demo and send it to the relevant artists. Christy Moore has a postal address you can send songs to - bare in mind he probably gets thousands of cds every year so the chances of him even listening to your song are probably slim unless you are very lucky. You also have the likes of Daniel O' Donnell, Johnny Logan, Brendan Bowyer (not sure if he's still recording) and any of those guys from the showband days that are still around.

Getting to Louis Walsh and co. is impossible they use professional songwriters.

It's not easy at all and it involves a lot of luck. Look for some up and coming artists to record them and they could evolve from there..

Louis uses xenomania which is run by producer Brian higgins who cut it with cher on the song " believe". They are basically a live band modelled in the motown mold. They are very good at what they do ,listen to the song "the promise" its very well written , love the half step modulation at the very end .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

why dont you ask bands to have a read over of your stuff then try put music to it?

I cant write lyrics for the life of me. God knows i've tried every day of my musical career, but i cant write music and melodies no problem. Loads of bands are sick of playing the same setlist over and over, give it out to a couple of people to try put something over and you will get your song back in a whole bunch of new styles which could be used to present to a record company or what ever.

Id love to have someones lyrics in front of me and have the time to work with it and put my own style to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

BumbleB wrote: »
    Louis uses xenomania which is run by producer Brian higgins who cut it with cher on the song " believe". They are basically a live band modelled in the motown mold. They are very good at what they do ,listen to the song "the promise" its very well written , love the half step modulation at the very end .

:D I am so unbelivably sick of the 'Truck Driver's Modulation!'

Can't say it doesn't work though

banquo wrote: »
    :D I am so unbelivably sick of the 'Truck Driver's Modulation!'

Can't say it doesn't work though

an old motown trick .

the "truck driver's gear change" or "Star Search modulation" is an abrupt modulation, usually to the key a semitone above, typically used to provide an "emotionally uplifting" finale. An example can be heard towards the end of Michael Jackson's "Man in the Mirror".[2]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

...or any Christmas song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭population

Another thing to consider is the fact that realistically there is a lot less money to be made from selling a song these days. Granted there are performance rights but that is hard to police and claim for.

Record sales are essentially non existant and you can be sure the remnants of the record companies will do anything and everything they can to hand over buttons to the songwriter should a song prove to be successful.

A friend of mine had a business dealing with the guy who wrote the 'Pure and Simple' Hearsay No.1.

That was the fastest selling song in UK history, he personally made about 100 grand all in so he did well out of it. But that was 9 yrs ago and according to him now it is practically impossible to make a buck out of it. He is doing other business to make ends meet.

population wrote: »
    Another thing to consider is the fact that realistically there is a lot less money to be made from selling a song these days. Granted there are performance rights but that is hard to police and claim for.

Record sales are essentially non existant and you can be sure the remnants of the record companies will do anything and everything they can to hand over buttons to the songwriter should a song prove to be successful.

A friend of mine had a business dealing with the guy who wrote the 'Pure and Simple' Hearsay No.1.

That was the fastest selling song in UK history, he personally made about 100 grand all in so he did well out of it. But that was 9 yrs ago and according to him now it is practically impossible to make a buck out of it. He is doing other business to make ends meet.

That was co written by betty boo wasn't it ?. Personally ,I think its a weak song.The hook isn't strong enough .

I worked with the producers who wrote summer girls - LFO, he doesn't really have any money worries (the lucky B*****d) .

Well It looks like the future of music really is more or less like this .Albums will no longer make money they will be a sampler to get people to live shows where the real money will be made.

it will be interesting though to see how everything pans out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

On the albums point, I don't think it will be that extreme. There will always be a place for albums within music. I'm sure it will mutate a bit over the next while but the format will remain quite similar, outside of pop and mainstream rock at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭la79

Thats a tough one alright, very hard to get it to the right person!!!

I think as someone suggested the myspace is a good idea, get them out there and see what the up take it.

Other than that you will need to make a demo of them, and send them into the record labels, make sure you get a contact name first so your music doesnt go missing!!!!

Also if you have the time get down to the venues where the bigger artists gig, and get some contacts, might wanta get in their with the venue managers etc, and then find out what artists are playing, and try get VIP, and meet them yourself.

A singer friend of mine did that a lot, and did make sure great contacts, and is now recording in London.

So give it all a go..

Best of luck... :)

pluckey wrote: »
    Hi , my dream is quite common I'm sure - I want someone to record my songs and have a top ten hit!
    Ive done the pub band scene years ago and have no more apetite for it but I reckon I have a few good songs that I won't be taking anywhere myself ( I'm too old , too tired , too busy ! )
    I would happily have anyone from Kylie to Christy Moore sing my songs as long as I get the writers cut.
    I have no music industry contacts so no clue how to proceed.
    Anyone here gone down this route and how did you get on ?
    thanks for any tips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Mulan

What dreams may come indeed.!!!
    Its what I love about it all.

Meanwhile its back to work!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭IrishCian

I'd recommend bebo/myspace/blogging...As well as everything already mentioned here...

Copyright was mentioned there a while back.
    My band write a lot of our own stuff and play live, do a bit of recording etc.

How do you effectively copyright?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭This is

What you really need to is

1. Get to terms with recording, recording software, equipment and related stuff.

2. Get better and better at it until you have top quality recording ability.

3. Join an A&R company or a publishing company, heres one which is a good place to start and has great mentors... www.taxi.com

4. Listen to music! Identify what makes a hit song and listen to people who have made hit songs!

Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jaytime11

Thanks for all this information it's really helpful. I have a Christmas Song I've written the lyrics to and I have the melody in my head but I dont play any instruments!! Any advice on who or how to get the music sorted for the song?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭population

There is a few studios out there with house musicians on board. I play harmonica and did a thing before for this chap who looks after all the music for writers if thats what they want.

http://www.fastlanestudio.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

I've got a number of cuts in Germany a while back using David Stark's 'Songlink' publication. I think the website is songlink.com.

worth a look

I know Pam Sheyne's 'Genie in a Bottle' was pitched through this magazine and picked up by a little known RCA artist called Christina...well ya know the rest!

Pam has since swapped her small north London apartment for a rather larger LA based one - so you just never know.

Essential though in pitching anything that your demo is pretty much at release standard - in fact, there's really no such thing as a demo anymore!

Advertisement