Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer of property letter

Options
  • 06-06-2020 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

Hi. I am just curious to know as to how long it should take for a solicitor to write up a letter re the transfer of property. My uncle has asked a solicitor to draft up a letter to transfer property 4 weeks ago and he still has not come out to him yet to obtain signatures for the transfer. Therefore, can anyone tell me please what is the general time frame. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Hi. I am just curious to know as to how long it should take for a solicitor to write up a letter re the transfer of property. My uncle has asked a solicitor to do this 4 weeks ago and he still has not come out to him yet to obtain signatures for the transfer. Therefore, can anyone tell me please what is the general time frame. Thanks.

Anything from 6 days to 6 years, 6-8 weeks would not be unusual

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    A property transfer is rather more than just writing a letter.
    Will leave open for general discussion subject to forum rules

• Registered Users Posts: 26,117 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What is the context? Has the property been sold? Is your uncle making a gift of it? Is this a settlement of a dispute?

Who is the property being transferred to? What solicitor is acting for that person?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Peregrinus wrote: »
    What is the context? Has the property been sold? Is your uncle making a gift of it? Is this a settlement of a dispute?

Who is the property being transferred to? What solicitor is acting for that person?

My uncle is transferring the property to his nephew. I don't think any other solicitor is acting for his nephew, the same solicitor is involved for the two.

Gift? Sale? Something in between? (As in, are there any expectations on the nephew as a result of this transfer?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Gift? Sale? Something in between? (As in, are there any expectations on the nephew as a result of this transfer?)

Gift

The nephew should be separately legally advised, if only to consider and guard against the possibility of a family row later on, allegations of undue influence, etc. The fact that parties to a property transaction are related to one another is usually a complicating factor, not a simplifying one.

I presume there is no third party with any interest in the land (e.g. a bank with a mortgage) or any claim over the land? Because if there was you would certainly have mentioned it in the original post. Anything like that would obviously complicate matters also.

In the OP you ask "how long it should take for a solicitor to write up a letter re the transfer of property". As others have pointed out, you can't transfer a property just by writing a letter, and the documents required, and other work that has to be done, do take time. But if your uncle has heard nothing at all from the solicitor since giving instructions six weeks ago - no request for further instructions or further information, no explanation of what steps have to be taken, no meeting, no letter about fees or about the costs of the transfer, just complete radio silence - then it's not too soon to contact the solicitor and say "Hey! What's happening?"

• Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The nephew should be separately legally advised, if only to consider and guard against the possibility of a family row later on, allegations of undue influence, etc.
    And hopefully to prevent the nephew from taking on property that has more liabilities than value, e.g. a polluted site.

Advertisement