Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Potentially pets?

• 04-06-2020 5:20pm

Was just walking home when I came across this identical pair on a gate.
    My immediate reaction was they were escaped pets, cant recall ever seeing birds like this.

Any ideas on the photo?.. sadly they jumped to the tree before I could get my phone out and the zoom only went that far.

Very distinctive colours, surely not common? I think their heads had bright red, black and yellow mixed.
    I nearly forget already but they both had similar colours on their head area. Mix of three and very bright.
    Hard to see the colours from the pics.

Comments

Was just walking home when I came across this identical pair on a gate.
    My immediate reaction was they were escaped pets, cant recall ever seeing birds like this.

Any ideas on the photo?.. sadly they jumped to the tree before I could get my phone out and the zoom only went that far.

Very distinctive colours, surely not common? I think their heads had bright red, black and yellow mixed.
    I nearly forget already but they both had similar colours on their head area. Mix of three and very bright.
    Hard to see the colours from the pics.

Pics didn't upload in original post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They're goldfinches. Wild birds, not escaped pets.

Alun wrote: »
    They're goldfinches. Wild birds, not escaped pets.

Are they common with that white,yellow, red coat?.

Cant say I ever saw one before, it was a real stop and look moment.

My initial thought was to search canaries to cross check.
    I can see the type alright fairly easy using Goldfinch.

Yes, they're pretty common. I see them regularly in my back garden on the bird feeders. They're a very striking bird though, I'll give you that.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Get some Nyjer seed and you'll see them plenty :)

Very striking looks birds indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I've seen more Goldfinches this year than ever before and I was wondering is it as a result of their doing well on feeders and the popularity of Nijer seed.

Funny, I was thinking the opposite. A few years ago we'd get dozens of them fighting and squabbling over the nijer seed feeder, and now I'd be lucky to see 2 or 3 at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

Are they common with that white,yellow, red coat?.

Cant say I ever saw one before, it was a real stop and look moment.

My initial thought was to search canaries to cross check.
    I can see the type alright fairly easy using Goldfinch.

Common as hell in Cork,when id feeder up regularly got 30 plus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Very common in North Dublin/Meath. I've often looked at them and thought they're far too exotic looking to be Irish wildlife!

Advertisement