Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next door neighbours prepay power meter constantly beeping

Options
  • 02-06-2020 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Our next door neighbours are on prepay power (this came up in a conversation when we moved in five years ago). Their prepay power meter has been beeping constantly for about 8 weeks, starting a week after lockdown. It happens every half hour from early morning until late at night, and is about 5 or 6 days out of seven. We might get a break for a day or two but then it starts up again. It’s irritating and loud, especially for me as I’m WFH. Unfortunately relations aren’t the best as they went away two years ago and their house alarm went off three or four times day and night for three weeks. They told the other neighbours it was a faulty battery, which they hadn’t replaced, combined with their relative not coming in regularly to top up their meter. I think I know the answer but I guess there isn’t anything we can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LeineGlas

Our next door neighbours are on prepay power (this came up in a conversation when we moved in five years ago). Their prepay power meter has been beeping constantly for about 8 weeks, starting a week after lockdown. It happens every half hour from early morning until late at night, and is about 5 or 6 days out of seven. We might get a break for a day or two but then it starts up again. It’s irritating and loud, especially for me as I’m WFH. Unfortunately relations aren’t the best as they went away two years ago and their house alarm went off three or four times day and night for three weeks. They told the other neighbours it was a faulty battery, which they hadn’t replaced, combined with their relative not coming in regularly to top up their meter. I think I know the answer but I guess there isn’t anything we can do?

Top it up for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

they’re both full time nurses. I think they can top it up themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

they’re both full time nurses. I think they can top it up themselves

Nurses get everything for free now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Nurses get everything for free now!!!

Too true.

And every do-gooder in the country is doing some type of fundraising to give them even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Be a grown up knock on their door and ask them to do something about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Presumably they are availing of the free hotel accommodation provided to frontline healthcare workers and are not actually residing in the property for the past 8 weeks? I believe this accommodation arrangement is due to end on Monday next, 08/06, and they will probably be home and top up their meter on that date.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

People hate nurses now? You learn something new and absolutely sh!t about Irish begrudgery on this forum every day.

I think there's already a thread on this topic
    https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056873019

s1ippy wrote: »
    People hate nurses now? You learn something new and absolutely sh!t about Irish begrudgery on this forum every day.

Are you not the fella that was encouraging people to go to black lives matter protests the other day on here?

Hardly a sign of love for nurses.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I can't get my head around Prepay Power, it's marketed as a solution for the poor yet is more expensive than standard suppliers, it's kind of like someone taking up smoking to keep themself warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I can't get my head around Prepay Power, it's marketed as a solution for the poor yet is more expensive than standard suppliers, it's kind of like someone taking up smoking to keep themself warm.

I have a friend who wouldn’t be great with money who just has this mental block on “getting big bills”. She knows it’s way more expensive, but much prefers prepay power. Her husband goes to a filling station weekly in the colder months to buy drums of kerosene for their oil tank. It makes me shudder. They spend so so much more than they need to on light and heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

They are for people who are just bad with money, not necessarily poor, but usually you get both together. Some people can't be trusted to budget and pay a bill every 3 months and a 3 month gas and power bill would cripple them. So it's easier to just pay it every few days so they can keep on top of it.

Advertisement