Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And so it begins - robots are taking over journalism

Options
  • 31-05-2020 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Most people, when they hear "robot" still think of these things

22932-327_fig1.png

Handy yokes they are, freeing us from heavy physical labour, increasing productivity and all that jazz ...all good.

But robots go beyond purely mechanical work aides and now they are infiltrating journalism.

Now you could say that journalism has gone to pot over the last years anyway, what with every loony on social media making it into the mainstream if they only shout often and loud enough.

But there still was a human somewhere with the selective brain and journalistic skill and training to weed out the worst.

Not any more:
    Microsoft 'to replace journalists with robots'

The curating of stories from news organisations and selection of headlines and pictures for the MSN site is currently done by journalists.

Artificial intelligence will perform these news production tasks, sources told the Seattle Times .

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-52860247

And so it begins ... aggro bots are feeding fake news stories into the system by the ton and yet more bots will decide that they are good to go into the mainstream.

Soon enough Chinese whispers will be a more reliable news source than "the news" itself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,546 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

But if your the ones creating the robots...

200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

This has literally been happening for years now, in particular for Sports Journalism.

Auto generated journalism that comes from data;

EG:

‘Tonight, Lakers travel to New York to face the Knicks who are on a 4-game losing streak.

Lakers will be without LeBron James who is currently serving a 3 game suspension’

That would be a very typical robot headline.

Schedules pulling from a schedule API etc
    Knicks losing streak pulled from an Individual Team form API call

LeBron James’ suspension pulled from an ‘absentee’ API call or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭AllForIt

2020 Sky News
    2030 SkyNet

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, it's been around a while.
    Will anyone notice? No, I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

We go now to our robot outside the robot factory where robot journalists are being mass produced. Anything to say about this, Gavin?

"My name is Marsha, I told you that in the meeting."

"Oh sorry, I thought it was the other news robot, Gavin. My apologies."

"Oh I see, so we all look alike, is that what you're saying?"

"No, not at all, you, umm, you ..."

"RACIST !!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

At least now it might be worth reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

How can we be sure that the OP himself is not a robot posting?
    It's exactly the thing a robot would do in a (I suspect) real life turing test.
    If so - Kudos to you, sir,please accept my immediate surrender.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

#learntocode .... the robots

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Hopefully this will lead to less opinion pieces.

Yeah, can't be much worse than what's there at the minute..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Drink sales and crowds at gigs will plummet ( covid accepted )
    press card anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I always had my doubts about Kate Burley.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I always had my doubts about Kate Burley.

how difficult is it to program a machine to have an orgasm if something bad happens in the world?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement