Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITIN - Is it required?

Options
  • 27-05-2020 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Would be chuffed if somebody has experience/knowledge on this...
    I am applying for an affiliate program with a US based company to sell their product in Europe.
    It would be my intention to declare tax any income/revenue to the Revenue Commissioners here.

They have requested an ITIN in order to progress application.
    Does this seem correct or would I have to file to IRS instead of Irish Revenue?

Welcome any tips :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,674 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Where are you tax-resident?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

Zamboni wrote: »
    Hi,

Would be chuffed if somebody has experience/knowledge on this...
    I am applying for an affiliate program with a US based company to sell their product in Europe.
    It would be my intention to declare tax any income/revenue to the Revenue Commissioners here.

They have requested an ITIN in order to progress application.
    Does this seem correct or would I have to file to IRS instead of Irish Revenue?

Welcome any tips :)

If you don't get an ITIN it is quite likely they are going to apply a preliminary tax to what the other company pays you. Once you get the ITIN you can speak with the IRS and provide them your Irish tax details so that your Income is taxed in Ireland.

Because the DTT with USA is the one big exception to all the rest, there is a chance they tax you in USA and then you claim a credit for taxes paid in USA in Ireland. But being Income earned it is quite likely that they will go with just checking that you are indeed registered for tax purposes in Ireland and would be paying taxes in Ireland.

I think the IRS in USA is having a backlog with all the issues with Covid19 (tax season over there) and they have extended periods for things, but they are shorthanded and it might be better if you start talking with someone there now.

IHTH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

That is very helpful. Thank you.

Advertisement