Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

covid wage subsidy scheme eligibility

Options
  • 27-05-2020 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Where an employer has issued notice of redundancy, can that employer apply the wage subsidy scheme on the pay for the notice period the employee is working out?

So if an employee has 4 weeks to work as per their contract, I assume they should get normal pay and not wage subsidy payment.

The employer must keep the employee on payroll is a requirement of the wage subsidy scheme but if they have served notice to terminate the employment then they are not meeting all requirements and defeating the purpose of the scheme.

Am I correct in this advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

I'm not sure, but a case could probably be made by the employer that they can use the subsidy until the redundancy is effective. After all, the employee is being kept on the payroll until the redundancy date. I see your point though, it could be argued the other way.

Regardless of whether the Wage Subsidy Scheme is being used to subsidise the wages, the employee is entitled to full pay for the notice period, whether they are required to work the notice or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

I'm not sure, but a case could probably be made by the employer that they can use the subsidy until the redundancy is effective. After all, the employee is being kept on the payroll until the redundancy date. I see your point though, it could be argued the other way.

Regardless of whether the Wage Subsidy Scheme is being used to subsidise the wages, the employee is entitled to full pay for the notice period, whether they are required to work the notice or not.

yes the employee is fully entitled to full pay. but if the wage subsidy is operated then the employee is losing out significantly as he or she would be getting his normal net pay after tax treated as a gross amount and taxed.

The purpose of the scheme is to keep the employee on the payroll so i imagine the employee could bring a case against the employer if they failed to pay full normal wages during a notice period.

The scheme has been designed with alot of aspects unclear and will possibly lead to cases down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭settopbox

If I am receiving my average net pay from the employer then why will I be taxed on this payment again. Surely the fact that im getting a net payment means that my employer has to refund the Revenue whatever tax he would otherwise have collected from me and repay to revenue.
    see section 3.1.1 of v15 of the operational guidelines..

Have I got this correct. ?

Advertisement