Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax implications of Pandemic Unemployment Payment (PUP)

Options
  • 26-05-2020 7:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm self employed and coming to the end of my period of benefitting from the Pandemic Unemployment Payment.

In terms of the tax implications, I have been accruing for Income Tax, PRSI and USC on the benefits I have received. I have noticed that there is no Employee PRSI to be paid on the Covid-19 temporary wage subsidy scheme, does this scenario also apply to the Pandemic Unemployment Payment? I have Googled it to bits and I'm no clearer on it.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,233 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Is the PUP not paid directly to you as a SW payment, giving you credit for stamps, same as illness benefit, so no EE PRSI payable as its not an employment related payment, its dole on steroids!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

It is a Social Welfare payment. PRSI is not applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

There has been no indication that it will be chargeable for PRSI purposes.

But the full PRSI implications are not yet clear. There have been indications that those on the PUP will be treated as if in employment, which would suggest a paid PRSI contribution will be allocated (question there would be whether the employee would have to pay at some stage).

However, other indications have been that a credited contribution will be allocated. I don't think they have fully figured this out yet.

Certainly the credit would be much simpler to administer, but it could have negative consequences for people over the next few years who were relying on having a paid contribution.

For the self-employed, its different. Self employed people aren't usually awarded credits. If their chargeable income remains above the 5k threshold, there will be no adverse impact as a full Class S stamp is payable. For those whose income drops below the threshold, they will have to consider whether paying a voluntary contribution may be appropriate.

Advertisement