Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Black Lives Matter protest in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

No idea what you're trying to say here

lol whut .... Someone else started that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

armaghlad wrote: »
    I'd have thought Irish people would sympathise with innocent civilians being shot dead by armed police but clearly some on here have short/selective memories...

People do sympathise with innocent civilians. Except a lot of people have a serious issue with the entire BLM movement. At a Bernie Sanders event they got up on stage and refused to let him speak. Yet Bernie Sanders was fighting heavily for civil rights for blacks in the 1960s. It is ridiculous that they wont let a man who has fought for black rights for over 50 years speak at his event, as they want to speak about their topics first. Explain to me how that is logical?

Or only last weekend in Toronto they stopped the gay pride parade until the police agreed that they would never participate in the gay pride parade every again. BLM movements have closed down shopping malls etc for protests.

At what stage do we stop calling BLM a 'civil rights group' and just a group of people looking to stir ****? IMO protesting is not suppressing the voices of others to make your voice heard eg Sanders or Gay pride in Toronto.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    People do sympathise with innocent civilians. Except a lot of people have a serious issue with the entire BLM movement. At a Bernie Sanders event they got up on stage and refused to let him speak. Yet Bernie Sanders was fighting heavily for civil rights for blacks in the 1960s. It is ridiculous that they wont let a man who has fought for black rights for over 50 years speak at his event, as they want to speak about their topics first. Explain to me how that is logical?

Or only last weekend in Toronto they stopped the gay pride parade until the police agreed that they would never participate in the gay pride parade every again. BLM movements have closed down shopping malls etc for protests.

At what stage do we stop calling BLM a 'civil rights group' and just a group of people looking to stir ****? IMO protesting is not suppressing the voices of others to make your voice heard eg Sanders or Gay pride in Toronto.

Exactly it epitomises the SJW element and their sinister shouting down of dissenting opinion. Like that guy in the Irish university shouting sh*it at a Israelis speaker sensing no irony about saying hes been on the campus for 10 year. They just turn up and cause trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

So someone else raised the NI issue as some weird comparison to the Blm group. I respond and then I am accused of whatabouterry.

Hilarious. You couldn't make it up.

Anyway hope the Blm March in Dublin went well. Any snipers at this one???

And ps. Says the man going on about the territorial claim over NI. Move on bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

It's not the police that need to be trained to have respect for lives, it's the the public. There is absolutely no sense of personal responsibility anymore. It's always someone else's fault. If a police offer tells you to do something, you do it. Should they wait until they get shot at first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

iguana wrote: »
    I have nothing to do with this march and won't be attending but the organisers aren't claiming that the Gardaí have killed any black people. It's being organised by and for people who want to make a demonstration of support for black people in the US. It's the same as when people here demonstrated against apartheid South Africa in the 80s. Nothing to do with us here doesn't mean that something isn't wrong and that people in other countries should ignore it.

If we want to support black people in the US who have been murdered , then we have to protest against black people in the US, who do most of the murdering of black people in the US, thus setting up a logical dichotomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

No we don't.
    timthumbni wrote: »
    Not any more you don't....

Pull up a seat lads and open your copy books. The Irish constitution is unequivocal about citizenship and the Irish nation which absolutely disregards the current border and current UK jurisdiction (subject to change in the Good Friday Agreement) over the north east corner of Ireland.
    Article 2
    It is the entitlement and birthright of every person born in the island of Ireland, which includes its islands and seas, to be part of the Irish Nation. That is also the entitlement of all persons otherwise qualified in accordance with law to be citizens of Ireland.
    I know. But the context of the conversation was the murder of Irish people by the "police" during the Troubles. We weren't different countries then, the 6 counties were occupied territory, according to our Consituation.

The one territory view of this island and aspiration of a political UI remains codified in the Irish constitution:
    Article 3.

It is the firm will of the Irish Nation, in harmony and friendship, to unite all the people who share the territory of the island of Ireland

For anyone who still has problems accepting the reality of the Irish nation; the surviving Hooded Men from Co. Derry who were sadistically tortured by the British state's forces in the north are going to the ECHR with the backing of the Irish Government.

This displays perfectly the all-Ireland nature of our nation and indeed the Britain's tacit acceptance of that.

Feel free to copy and paste this post in future discussions with those who are poorly informed about these issues.

Ireland, as in the ancient island now divided into 2 separate countries.

"Northern Ireland" is a "country"? Hilarious. It's not even a state (just a part of another one), never mind a country. I wonder what the Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland, the Anglican Church of Ireland, the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, the Methodist Church in Ireland and, well, all the other Protestant organisations think about your revisionism. Meanwhile I'm off to gerrymander my village and claim it as a separate "country".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Ah it's the usual English & home grown race baiters

The lowest form of humanity.

RayM wrote: »
    Showing solidarity.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/19/charles-wade-black-lives-matter-leader-charged-wit/

BLM laid bare , but carry on, show your solidarity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I must have "miss heared" you. What do you actually mean that the Irish were more likely to be shot for being Irish? It just sounds like gibberish to me.

I mean we have a history of being treated like second class citizens in our own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Has the Free Palestine campaign passed it's peak ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I saw a small gathering of Iraqi Irish protesting in the city centre today against the horrendous bombing by ISIS of their fellow countrymen a few days ago

Didn't see any SJW standing with them

my friend wrote: »
    Ah it's the usual English & home grown race baiters

The lowest form of humanity.

I presume you support Russia's stance on Ukraine ? I mean protecting ethnic Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

Will this march also be a protest against the snipers killing the cops?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

It's not the police that need to be trained to have respect for lives, it's the the public. There is absolutely no sense of personal responsibility anymore. It's always someone else's fault. If a police offer tells you to do something, you do it. Should they wait until they get shot at first?

Is that not exactly what got that lad shot. "Give me your license" when he goes to get it he was killed for doing exactly what he was told to do by the cop.

I presume you support Russia's stance on Ukraine ? I mean protecting ethnic Russians.

and I presume you have failed in your appeal for your rape conviction.

now, care to debate that which was being discussed?

Mod: Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Lets have a March for all the homeless people here.theres more of them.

RustyNut wrote: »
    Is that not exactly what got that lad shot. "Give me your license" when he goes to get it he was killed for doing exactly what he was told to do by the cop.

No probably from having access in the squad car to the owners Rap sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I work a lot in the states and this statement is BS. Completely takes responsibilty from the police.

• Advertisement

and I presume you have failed in your appeal for your rape conviction.

now, care to debate that which was being discussed?

What ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭nelbot

The sniper incident was almost bound to happen, I'm only surprised it didn't happen sooner. Ominous happenings in the U.S., only a matter of time before some KKK type organisation starts targeting Muslims too.

Will this march also be a protest against the snipers killing the cops?

no, its selective and racist anti establishment outrage only - bring your social welfare card for admittance

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭nelbot

no, its selective and racist anti establishment outrage only - bring your social welfare card for admittance

Ah, so working people have no social conscience is it? I will try to remember that I shouldn't care about anything because I have a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 CrazyEight

I understand why solidarity was shown with South Africa as it was the majority who were oppressed by the minority, similar to what went on here. I dont understand why a march is being organised here for the BLM movement, they are not a civil rights movement and I'd say Martin Luther King would not have had anything to do with them!
    Statistically in the US blacks are 32 times more likely to commit a violent crime, ie rape, murder, serious assault, on a white person than the other way around. This is from a group who make up only 12% of the population!! Also over 80% of blacks are killed by other blacks. If they want to stop needless deaths they need to start looking at each other and stop pointing the finger at others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Not sure I'd want to be a cop on duty at a BLM protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

No, it was because they were Irish. So as a nation we have a national history which can empathise with minorities being systematically targeted by armed agents of the state.

You are exceptionally naive if you read the Irish struggle as one that includes solidarity as anything other than a means to connect for funding, etc. Going by your username you are a young idealist leftie, but for real, nobody cares and that is why BLM is a the isolated nonsense it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

scopper wrote: »
    You are exceptionally naive if you read the Irish struggle as one that includes solidarity as anything other than a means to connect for funding, etc. Going by your username you are a young idealist leftie, but for real, nobody cares and that is why BLM is a the isolated nonsense it is.

Professional working in the area of human rights monitoring for a UN funded International organisation in my mid 30's actually.

And "Marcos" is a common family name is south western India, where one half of my family comes from, and the other half of my family is Spanish. Only reason I chose the name.

• Advertisement

Professional working in the area of human rights monitoring for a UN funded International organisation in my mid 30's actually.

And "Marcos" is a common family name is south western India, where one half of my family comes from, and the other half of my family is Spanish. Only reason I chose the name.

I'm guessing, going by your name, you either follow dogs around and collect their poop or live under a bar tap, seeing as that's the new rage on boards and all, guessing who people are based on user names...

:pac::pac::pac::pac: 1 out of 10

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement