Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drying clothes

Options
  • 24-03-2009 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

[FONT=&quot]Theres a new right-to-dry (clothes) movement gaining momentum in the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]US[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. As money tightens and energy bills soar people are campaigning for the right to use their balconies and garden areas to hang clothes. [/FONT]I'm wondering does anyone out there got clever ways to dry clothes in apartments where the management company won't let you hang clothes on the balcony?
    It's big in the states and even has a celebrity following
    See
    [FONT=&quot]blog.linedryit.com/eco_facts/

nyone feel that strongly about drying clothes this side of the pond?
    [/FONT]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sligobhoy

I'm wondering does anyone out there got clever ways to dry clothes in apartments where the management company won't let you hang clothes on the balcony?

Yes, an amazing new invention called a clotheshorse.
    Welcome to the future my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ohanloj3

use a clothes horse and put it in front of your radiator!

you can actually get electric clothes horses now too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

microwaves are great to dry boxers and t shirts :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Rec> Home & garden > Home applicances.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1044

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

moved from tLL :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 NatDonegal

Hang them off the back of your car... they are dry by the time you get home from work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I lived in an apt actually it was ballymun flats:D everybody dried there clothes how they wanted but 2 good ways that worked for me!

1, Stand the clothes horse in the bath

2. If the clothes are only damp lightly spread them out on the floor in the room and they will dry from the heat rising below. Honestly

Outside this you could lay them across the tracks like mr bean did.

Or use a bothroom retractable clothes line. They are light though and only work on your smalles!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A dehumidifier will dry clothes using far less electricity to do so than a dryer and far more quickly than just placing them on a clothes horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

ODRYER - All Weather Clothes Dryer

Regardless of your circumstances, drying clothes can be a hassle. The task of drying your clothes outside is now made easier with the ODRYER.

The ODRYER is an all weather outdoor dryer which allows your clothes to dry no matter what the weather.

No more need for electric dryers, and you are doing your bit for the environment.

ODRYER ...The Features

Robust and durable canopy frame.

A mesh side screen allows good air flow.

Convenient rotating clothes basket holder.

Collects water for storage for gardening, car washing, etc.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Any views as to whether the 'Odryer' covered clothes dryer is worth €499?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 diydan

Yorky wrote: »
    Any views as to whether the 'Odryer' covered clothes dryer is worth €499?

A bit steep. the Cord-o-Clip would be better value at €135. You can take clothes off the line 90% faster than any other line. It also pegs the clothes for you. The pegs never have to come off the line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4RLDKKdoQQ

Check it out. Now available in Ireland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

Drying on a clothes horse in an apartment will cause damp and mould unless windows are open/run a dehumidifier for several hours. You want to see the mould on the brothers walls...... Not everything can go into a tumble dryer,even a top of the range one. There is no reason why a clothes horse shouldn't be allowed on balconies, it's nonsense, it's free, environmentally friendly, should not be an issue.

For items which can't go in a dryer, the Scandinavians have had drying cabinets (Google Peko) for donkeys years, and apartments there have drying rooms with warm air circulation in basements, you book a time. Wouldn't work here. We can't have nice things....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Dehumidifier here. It has a laundry setting on it. I find it brilliant. My mother bought one after seeing how well ours worked.
    I think ours is condensing? There are two types., google it. One is better suited to drying laundry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

heldel00 wrote: »
    Dehumidifier here. It has a laundry setting on it. I find it brilliant. My mother bought one after seeing how well ours worked.
    I think ours is condensing? There are two types., google it. One is better suited to drying laundry.

you mind me asking what brand you have - looking at this one currently ?
    https://www.soundstore.ie/delonghi-12l-dehumidifier-dex212f.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

whatever76 wrote: »
    you mind me asking what brand you have - looking at this one currently ?
    https://www.soundstore.ie/delonghi-12l-dehumidifier-dex212f.html

Ecoair Dd1 classic mk5. Bought ours on Amazon. Handy enough to carry about but plenty of power out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

heldel00 wrote: »
    Ecoair Dd1 classic mk5. Bought ours on Amazon. Handy enough to carry about but plenty of power out of it.

cool thank you !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

But doesn't the Dehumidifier aso cost or is it cheaper than a washer dryer? Oh i see it is
    The Op was concerned re cost. I didn't know you could get one with a laundry setting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

We have 2 of these, 1 is used just for clothes drying, they are great.

https://www.meaco-dehumidifiers.ie/meaco-25l-ultra-low-energy-dehumidifier/

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    We have 2 of these, 1 is used just for clothes drying, they are great.

https://www.meaco-dehumidifiers.ie/meaco-25l-ultra-low-energy-dehumidifier/
    But even one of those left on all the time uses 6.5 kilowatt hours per day, or the same as having a tumble dryer on for 3 hours a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

colm_mcm wrote: »
    But even one of those left on all the time uses 6.5 kilowatt hours per day, or the same as having a tumble dryer on for 3 hours a day.

Its in a small room, put the clothes in on an rack and put it in laundry mode and close the door (it has a massive fan). Takes about 5 hours, I think its about 30/40% cheaper than using the dryer, no fluff either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

colm_mcm wrote: »

We have a Meaco with laundry setting too. Advantage over dryer if you have the space and dont mind laundry hanging around on a clothes airer is you can hang the lot up and forget about it whereas with the dryer you usually have to divide the load for weight but also because some things need low heat or will shrink or not suitable for tumble drying or whatever.

Obviously you wouldn't leave a dehumidifier on when there's nobody around so that's a disadvantage as its slower than a dryer.

Whatever about a dryer, dehumidifier def needed if just hanging up wet washing on a airer as otherwise you are inviting mould in. that quickly becomes clear when you see how much water you empty from the appliance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

My mam has had 2 different dehumidifiers ,one of them definitely cooled the room considerably .. both seemed to work well sucking moisture out of the air ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I am really wondering whether you will save much like this, because by drying indoors you are doing slow damage to the fabric of your home. Dehumidifiers have running costs of their own and are not cheap to buy (especially the more efficient models). (By all means, if you can dry outdoors, that is a good thing.)

You can buy a heat pump dryer. This is more expensive than a regular dryer and will take longer to dry the clothes. But it is more efficient, and people say that the clothes are dried in a more controlled way. It is not that different from a dehumidifier in a warm cupboard, either in terms of what it actually is, or in terms of cost. But it will probably be faster because it turns the clothes over and it will take up less space in your home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Anyone try

one of these

I have a similar, differnt brand but never used it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

Used a clothes horse for years in an apartment with a balcony, attach the clothes with pegs and you can get a full load on one. Management company never bothered with it, even if they do you just bring it inside until they stop annoying you.

Advertisement