Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playboat Vs Creekboat

Options
  • 12-06-2013 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a steer from those with more experience of the different types of boats.

I am getting back into kayaking, having done L1&L2 few years ago.

Based on the fact that I plan on doing some trips with a club on Liffey and Boyne, with some whitewater, would a playboat be a foolish choice of boat to pick up second hand?

Would a creekboat be more suitable? My preference would be for a playboat, but I am wondering if this may be difficult to handle on 3-4 hour trips initially, and if creek would be more suitable?

Thanks in advance.
    P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Paddling a playboat on trips is torture tbh. It just takes so much more effort

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I regularly run the boyne in a project. Pain in the ass yes. Give you something to do and keep entertained? Yup.

If you can access a creek for big water I'd run with a playboat.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭padjo5

Thanks for inputs......further help needed! Options:

Second hand Bliss-Stick Scud

OR

Second hand Dagger GTX......

I am led to believe that the BlissStick, while shorter (around 6.5foot) than the GTX, has a high volume, with a large stern volume very evident. Anyone experience of the Scud, ie how does it travel on flat water between weirs etc?? Would it be a pain in the ass to be in for a few hours?? Im 6 foot, 85kg.

Thanks.

What weight / height are you?

6ft and 85kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

padjo5 wrote: »
    6ft and 85kg

a mamba might suit??

Is that to say that either of the other 2 options would be unsuitable Arawn?
    Mamba looks good, but out of my price league!

The Dagger is more of a river runner than a Playboat.

Scud is a nice boat, check the specs though and see if it's for you. Your weight isn't too much so you should be okay.

There's also rakes of Jackson All Stars and Projects out there that could suit you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

I have recently traded my Wavesport EZ 60 for a new Superstar at Icanoe. I think the EZ 60 would be ideal for you, we are a similar weight range and height. The EZ 60 is a class little river runner but low enough volume and edgy enough to get most free style moves done. It'll surf great, carve great, stern squirt ok but not as easy a free style boat, never double pumped it as it might be a tad too long, rolls on a dime too.

I reckon it'll be at a decent price at Icanoe if you give them a buzz

• Advertisement
Advertisement