Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭the-island-man

I hear there's great drying in it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jetsonx wrote: »
    The Boeing 747 is a bit like America - once great and cutting-edge but now in a state of terminal decline.

Ironically it got it's look because they weren't expecting them to be in passenger service long.

Putting the cockpit on top was to make it easier to load cargo because they'd be easier to convert into front loaders.

But in a severe case of "not invented here" the US couldn't make anything better than Concorde or the TU-144 so they banned supersonic passenger flight and killed a market they couldn't compete in.

And the 747 had to solider on.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I hear there's great drying in it!

Complete with the scent of clean burning keroscene.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Love that plane (& livery). Such a shame they didn’t keep one, if only for cargo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I love the shape of the 747. At the same time both lumbering and elegant, like an elephant. The combination of the hump towards the front and the sharply tapered tail section is very aesthetically pleasing.

• Advertisement

BrianD3 wrote: »
    How about these videos taken from the beach beside Sint Maarten airport. Afaik the 747s don't fly to there anymore unfortunately

That second clip is always shocking to me. The landing gear barely cleared the car that was passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

First time I was on one was around 2005/6 on my to LAX at the age of 16 without my parents. Loved it. Have been on a couple now, they're getting on in years and you can tell when you're on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

1920px-YAL-1A_Airborne_Laser_unstowed_crop.jpg

This 747 (The YAL-1) had a frickin' laser beam.

LorelaiG wrote: »
    First time I was on one was around 2005/6 on my to LAX at the age of 16 without my parents. Loved it. Have been on a couple now, they're getting on in years and you can tell when you're on one.

Oh my god, how? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

img643-1581708793.jpg
    You don't need a 747 to do that

I give you the Myasishchev VM-T Atlant

That ‘shuttle’ was probably made of papier-mâché. :)

I think the buran had one unmanned flight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Oh my god, how? :eek:

You can usually see the plane when boarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Was on one in 2008 for the honeymoon.
    I hated flying and don’t mind it now but it was my first long haul.
    Only plane that gave me a sense of calm on take off, it just felt effortless.

Also the only airplane I have gotten off of that everybody turned around and started taking pictures of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If planes did sexy the 747 would be the front cover of Playboy. I flew on them many times, even the older -200 series in 90’s, sometimes on my own as a teenager to Africa.

There was nothing more terrifying than visiting the cockpit (remember those days?) to chat to the pilot over the Sahara and realising the dials and panels on the -200 were no different than a clock on the wall!

Some beast though and once the kinks were knocked out, definitely one of those most reliable planes in the sky

Let’s be honest though. While Boeing dominated the skies and let the way, Airbus started to make things more consumer friendly. The A320, A330 and A340 have quieter cabins than the Boeing equivalents. Really wasn’t until the 787 came along that Boeing caught up.

Last time I flew a 747 was 2006 with BA to Nairobi. Got stuck with a seat at the very back (the least comfortable section of any airplane) and one of the cabin crew took sympathy on me and kept bringing cans of beer. I was well on getting off the plane!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

1st time on one was from Dublin to...... Shannon :)
    School day trip, the pilot must have been giving us a show as he really gunned the engines on take off unlike any other time I've been on a 747

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Flew St. Kieran on and only time, 1985 Shannon to Boston and back. I was 14. Can still feel the excitement today. Great aircraft. Pity to see it rotting in a desert. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

faceman wrote: »
    If planes did sexy the 747 would be the front cover of Playboy.
    It does have competition in the form of Blackbirds, Tomcats and Mustangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I sat in Row 1 Seat 1 on a Virgin 747 from which you can kinda look directly ahead out the window which is really cool.

BA use upstairs on a 747 for economy so always worth asking to sit up there as a lot less cramped as downstairs economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

cj maxx wrote: »
    1st time on one was from Dublin to...... Shannon :)
    School day trip, the pilot must have been giving us a show as he really gunned the engines on take off unlike any other time I've been on a 747

We did that trip too. On to Bunratty castle and then home by coach?

I wonder if that was a standard trip or did we go to the same school?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I love the shape of the 747. At the same time both lumbering and elegant, like an elephant. The combination of the hump towards the front and the sharply tapered tail section is very aesthetically pleasing.

They did look great. I did a few months at Shannon Airport in the 90s and SwissAir used to do practice runs there, so their 747s would repeatedly touch down and take off again all day long - mesmerising to watch.

I flew on 747s with EI, NZ, and upstairs for South Africa Airways, which was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

My first time on a 747 was on November 23rd 2003. A group of like-minded nut-cases got on a Qantas 747 appropriately called "Longreach" and flew from Melbourne over Antarctica to intercept the Moon's shadow in order to see a total solar eclipse. I had just turned 20 and saved up from several years of summer jobs.

The whole journey was over 14 hours and was a world record for the longest domestic flight in history since it left from Melbourne and landed in Melbourne 14 hours later.

Here's a photo made by another passenger.

TSE2003inprocess.jpg

If you're wondering what it looked like, this is a sped-up version from a different eclipse as seen from a plane.

• Advertisement
Advertisement