Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corporal punishment

• 06-06-2020 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭

I'm at the age when corporal punishment in schools had been in its dying stages. I'm wondering what opinions people have on this.
    If it have stayed would kids in this age be differen. Would they be more respectful to their elders.
    My opinion is that I don't think it would have change anybodys opinion.
    Oh just for the record.
    I was boxed in the ears, lifted up by the ears. Hit with a wooden duster, slapped across the fingers with a wooden dowel, smacked with a hurley. But some of the kids got worst hidding than others. No only by christian brothers a lot of the teachers were sadist too. Your opinion on weather it was a good thing or not

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Absolutely wasn’t a good idea. Absolutely right to abolish it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

Ya as a teacher I can say that it is not really a good teaching method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

endacl wrote: »
    Absolutely wasn’t a good idea. Absolutely right to abolish it.

I agree.
    But you will often hear people moan about the teachers been to lenient. The older the person moaning the more you'll hear the Christian brothers would've put manners on them

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Ah good ol' corporal punishment, I remember it well. Have the scars (literally) to remind me.

Treppen wrote: »

We weren't really taught lessons. The lessons were bet into you. Its was a kind of mantra, everybody spoke the answers to questions but many never really knew what the answers meant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

My dad was battered and abused by a perverted teacher. Absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

depends. If you consider humans to be somehow superior to other mammals then CP is abhorrent. If we are no different than other mammals then pain and re-enforcement are the best teachers, that's simple science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,935 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Kylta wrote: »
    If it have stayed would kids in this age be differen. Would they be more respectful to their elders.

Corporal punishment doesn't imbue respect.

Fear of punishment, and offering deference because of it is not respect!
    It's fear, I'd recommend learning to understand the difference before yearning for a return to bearing children.

As to children being more respectful, respect is earned.

I do agree that some children could do with better moral standards, and manners.
    Those are learned at home however, and not by being beaten into children.

I don't agree that the youth these days are any more "disrespectful" than I was 25yrs ago.
    Just far, far more visible and reported on.

depends. If you consider humans to be somehow superior to other mammals then CP is abhorrent. If we are no different than other mammals then pain and re-enforcement are the best teachers, that's simple science.

Living life through the the inflection off pain changes who we are has humans, we don't possess empathy, sympathy, caring loving etc. The answer then to everything is pain and fear

banie01 wrote: »
    Corporal punishment doesn't imbue respect.

Fear of punishment, and offering deference because of it is not respect!
    It's fear, I'd recommend learning to understand the difference before yearning for a return to bearing children.

As to children being more respectful, respect is earned.

I do agree that some children could do with better moral standards, and manners.
    Those are learned at home however, and not by being beaten into children.

I don't agree that the youth these days are any more "disrespectful" than I was 25yrs ago.
    Just far, far more visible and reported on.

I think the youth these days are more opened to the views of the world. I.e. drugs fashion cars etc. Some to show a certain persona have no respect for their own, there respect lays with the people they hang around with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

No, what really good did it do? Were those who came under the thumb of corporal punishment better and more upstanding citizens than the ones who came after? I highly doubt it. There's a lot of things we can do to educate children in society and to teach them values and morals but smacking them over the ear is not one of them.

If anything, the idea that physical violence is a legitimate form of punishment, is detrimental and leads to an eye for an eye approach. Kid does something bad. Wallop. Wife speaks out of turn. Wallop. Get into an argument. Wallop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

All it teaches is that it's ok to hit people smaller and weaker than you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,935 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I think the youth these days are more opened to the views of the world. I.e. drugs fashion cars etc. Some to show a certain persona have no respect for their own, there respect lays with the people they hang around with.

You have a very narrow and sadly in the vast majority of cases distorted view of the youth of Ireland.

For every video of "feral" teens, there are far more young people striving to bring about positive change in their communities through local youth services and comhairle organisations.

A major component of Transition Year has become social placement, volunteering and activism.
    Our young people are more responsible, adaptable and aware along with being better educated than ever before.
    They are a force for positive change.

But...

They are still young, so let's not get too hung up on their "lack" of respect and remember the stupid things that they do, are part and parcel of learning and growing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What it did was weed out all the substandard teachers.

If you can communicate with kids without hitting them, great. If not, stay away from teaching.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

You don't need to inflict pain to teach a cat or dog either. There are lots of ways to use the carrot and not the rod.

I'm at the age when corporal punishment in schools had been in its dying stages. I'm wondering what opinions people have on this.

I'd suggest doing a search. The topic has come up a few times before.... If you're looking for peoples opinions, that is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I don't know what you make of it but my cousins in Africa were (and the youngest still is) beaten by my aunt. They're pretty successful (one is a singer).

I'm definitely not saying that you need to be beaten to be successful in life/not end up on the wrong path as I know many people in Ireland whose parents never laid a finger on them.

But maybe my cousins would have been better people if my aunt/uncle had learned modern techniques of discipline.

banie01 wrote: »
    You have a very narrow and sadly in the vast majority of cases distorted view of the youth of Ireland.

For every video of "feral" teens, there are far more young people striving to bring about positive change in their communities through local youth services and comhairle organisations.

A major component of Transition Year has become social placement, volunteering and activism.
    Our young people are more responsible, adaptable and aware along with being better educated than ever before.
    They are a force for positive change.

But...

They are still young, so let's not get too hung up on their "lack" of respect and remember the stupid things that they do, are part and parcel of learning and growing.

I curious to where you live and where all this volunteering comes from? I don't see any of it where I live. And im well in touch with whats going on around me. Fours weeks ago I was at a funeral where one child gutted another youth with a knife. Its good to say the youth are all volunteering for good but I don't see it. By the way when I was growing up has a youth I hung around with maybe 35/50 teens around the area and nobody volunteered then. I speak up for the youth when I see them do what I think is right for their community. But I'd never base my views on what youths are doing volunteering in other areas or counties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

its not a good idea , my partner and i have never once hit either of our children either , we do lock them in their bedroom for two minutes if they are petulant to an unreasonable degree , they then get a talking to afterwards about why they were punished , we call it a TIME OUT

hitting children debases you and them

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

kowloon wrote: »
    You don't need to inflict pain to teach a cat or dog either. There are lots of ways to use the carrot and not the rod.
    of course not, but again dogs inflict pain on other dogs to teach, same with cats and every other mammal. You are looking at humans through the prism of some type of superior entity, as opposed to just being another mammal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

of course not, but again dogs inflict pain on other dogs to teach, same with cats and every other mammal. You are looking at humans through the prism of some type of superior entity, as opposed to just being another mammal.

That's cos humans are superior!
    Ever seen a cat program using C++. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

If you hit your children you've failed as a parent. It's as simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If it's simple science, you'll be well able to explain it to us then.

How does pain/reinforcement teach mammals to do things? And how is it superior to reward/reinforcement methods?

Do you believe that pain/reinforcement should be the driving method behind all teaching, even for behaviours that we view as desirable? If so, how do you resolve the problem of continuous underperformance when punishment is used as a motivator?

What peer-reviewed papers do you recommend on this topic if someone wishes to learn more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I think mid nineties it seemed to go from teachers beating on pupils the opposite almost overnight? I think there should at least be a middle ground, a trade off. A slugfest to the death on neutral territory

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Violence in the home should end too.

There is no excuse for hitting a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Violence in the home should end too.

There is no excuse for hitting a child.

Surely a sound walloping is a good way to teach children not to hit others?:D

Hard to say as quite often fear and respect manifest the same way and it is hard to tell which one a person - let alone a child - is actually feeling in any given relationship.

I can only speak for myself but even from a very young age I suffered only massive losses in respect for anyone who required violence to get their way.

I have always felt without being told that violence is what happens when discipline and intellect and empathy all fail you. Especially in the context of an adult raising or guiding a child in their growth - parents teacher or otherwise.

My recent work with young "trouble" teenagers - mostly boys - has been with a mix of kids who have both quite violent and quite pacifistic parents. And it was not the use of violence or the lack of it that had brought them to an extreme disrespect of society and adults. Nor was it the use of violence or the lack of it I would credit for how far I have helped bring them since.

Hard to say as quite often fear and respect manifest the same way and it is hard to tell which one a person - let alone a child - is actually feeling in any given relationship.

I can only speak for myself but even from a very young age I suffered only massive losses in respect for anyone who required violence to get their way.

I have always felt without being told that violence is what happens when discipline and intellect and empathy all fail you. Especially in the context of an adult raising or guiding a child in their growth - parents teacher or otherwise.

My recent work with young "trouble" teenagers - mostly boys - has been with a mix of kids who have both quite violent and quite pacifistic parents. And it was not the use of violence or the lack of it that had brought them to an extreme disrespect of society and adults. Nor was it the use of violence or the lack of it I would credit for how far I have helped bring them since.

I was involved in a youth club and community stuff years ago. The club we ran catered for kids between 6-,16 boys and girls. As I post this i'm thinking back and I wonder how some of the kids got through the sh!t they had to deal with in this life. I mean the area was rough but my first thought is you look after your own. But some parents are absolute animals who exploited their children for all ends, mothers running their children around with heroin deals (turning some of them in later years into pushers). A father raping all his kids boys and girls.( some which later died from overdoses ). Sometimes when you look at life it can be very unfair. A lot of the time the environment that the child lives in destroys them.

A lot of the time the environment that the child lives in destroys them. .

The kids I started my "Jedi school" thing for were local trouble makers. And their environment was merely one of neglect. In some cases the neglect is due to parents who simply did not give a crap and were happy to be violent on their kids. In some cases it was parents who really did care but were simply failing due to life's other demands and would never lift a hand of violence to their kids.

Either way the effect was the same. The parents due to desperation or not giving a crap were always sending their teen kids out to "Go play with your friends" just basically wanting them out of the house the whole time. And with a lack of direction - guidance - and parenting the kids just started turning into "scrotes" as people call them on boards. And quite bad at that. No respect for authority or society or people. Which is why I do not think the OPs question is easily answered. Violence alone in parenting or schooling is not going to foster more respect.

And when I got involved it was a shock to me just how little it actually took for me to turn them around. They turned out to be lovely kids in many ways. I call them "my jedi" because of the Jedi Curriculum we used to engage them. And the last big thing I was involved in with them was helping get supplies to little old people when Covid hit.

But if that was just neglect really - I can but imagine what drugs and sexual abuse and other factors like you described can result in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,619 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Corporal punishment was the order of the day when I was in national school, all but one year there we were treated very harshly.
    I’m left handed and for the first few years was beaten every day and forced to write right handed. It was brutal and merciless on a young child.

Teaching children that violence is the way to solve problems isn’t a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,667 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I think it has its place.
    There's no reason for it in school or the home but the amount of repeat offences committed by some thugs today makes me wonder about it in the penal system. Any more than 3 offences and it should be a flogging. These people know no different. If they can't function in society through respect, let them react to it through fear. They have no problem intimidating fear into decent folk. They also have no problem breaking into or stealing other people's property or resorting to violence and racking up convictions seems to be some sort of badge of honour. Jail, detention, etc. do not appear to be an effective means of dissuasion and fines are pointless for people of no means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Is this really what you want us to go back to? Children flogged asunder.....

https://youtu.be/xPASp69LrBI?t=268

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

What peer-reviewed papers do you recommend on this topic if someone wishes to learn more?

This always annoys me when people wheel it out on here. This is a forum on the internet - not a university. No-one is going doing a literature review to back up their whimsically formed opinions on a message board.
    Always strikes me as someone who is losing the arguement so they then go looking to be proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

'My parents battered the shite out of me and it never did me any harm, Lol'

Adolph Hitler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Treppen wrote: »

speaking from experience of corporal punishment teaching methods?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I've heard stories from Teachers of some kids that got battered by their parents after the teachers reported the child's bad behaviour to them.

These kids were not well behaved in the first place, the children who weren't battered generally were.
    So clearly corporal punishment is a very poor method of encouraging good behaviour in a child.

I think if you look back you could honestly say that CP was used a tool by educators (don't want to called them teachers) who were most probably frustated with the inability to teach children (which is still does not justify the brutality). If you were anyway slow or maybe suffered with ADHD or special needs well the answer was to punish you for these short coming. Where the teachers today look for these problem and deal with them through the proper channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

speaking from experience of corporal punishment teaching methods?

Someties, you don't need to experience something to know it's not really a good idea.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement