Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More spiders this year?

Options
  • 05-06-2020 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,542 ✭✭✭✭

Ugh, anyone else's place starting to resemble a scene from 8 legged freaks?

Had my first altercation with one last night, big fella. Let's just say we had a difference of opinion as to it's presence.

Noticed a lot more spiders than normal last few weeks.

Is it worse this year?

:(
    Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,472 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

More spiders but a lot less flies in the house. I'm happy to provide free lodging in return for their unpaid pest control.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Pretty sure this thread pops up most years. So probably the same amount

I have never checked the figures but I am led to believe that every house has a hell of a lot more spiders than you might even think on your worst day.

In fact generally when you see a spider on the move - it is a male looking to get laid. Otherwise they keep out of sight generally and you don't know they are there.

One boards user once told me that there is so many spiders in your house in fact that the probability one is looking directly at you at any given time is significantly high. Which - true or not - is a thought I have seen freak people out when I have mentioned it.

I can usually not recommend the Critter Shed Podcast enough. They are the ones that convinced me to start keeping cockroaches in my kitchen bin.

Dublin based - here is their episode on "Spider Sex" :)

Why can't I vote? Apparently I don't have permission!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Birds in my garden very busy picking spiders from the garden fence and under the eaves. Pity, I like to see the spiders sorting out the pesky flies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

There's definitely more of the little bastards around. I kill an average of two per day at the moment.

Yes, I know they kill flies, but I live with two extreme arachnophobes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

LMAO flies are so much better than a big ****ing 8 legged monster crawling up your leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I'm terrified of the fuckers. I don't care if they kill flies. I have other ways to get rid of those. That said, I do ask whoever is removing the spider from the gaff for me to try not to kill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,496 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Oops, just marking the page for a post

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

Yes, lot of them in the last few weeks. I thought breeding season for them was September-October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Im noticing a lot less than last year where I felt infested by them for a couple of months. That said I got a new door, the last one had a centimetre gap underneath which practically invited them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

I normally dont notice them until September time, which is when I do be on the lookout for them, check my bed, in my shoes, around door handles etc...(I'm terrified of them if you haven't picked up on that) so I wanst at all prepared for the monster GIANT spider that crawled up my leg yesterday morning!!!!!! Heart rate still hasn't returned to normal and my voice is sore from the scream I let out.....so now im on constant spider watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

No! nothing under here,

You must have frightened them off!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

You do not a have permission to vote on this poll?

Well fcuk you too OP! :D

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Why can't I vote? Apparently I don't have permission!

The user behind this post:

icon.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Pretty sure this thread pops up most years. So probably the same amount

Yes it does.

What I won't to know is how often they shower and if they find Jason Byrne funny or not.

As for Spiders, completely harmless creatures and I don't get people's fear of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Coopaloop wrote: »
    I normally dont notice them until September time, which is when I do be on the lookout for them, check my bed, in my shoes, around door handles etc...(I'm terrified of them if you haven't picked up on that) so I wanst at all prepared for the monster GIANT spider that crawled up my leg yesterday morning!!!!!! Heart rate still hasn't returned to normal and my voice is sore from the scream I let out.....so now im on constant spider watch.

A few people saying September but last summer I definitely had them from about May onwards. It was just the one spider per bathroom for a while but by the end of June his friends showed up and there would be one in each corner of every bathroom all with their traps set. Would get them out but they'd show up again a day or two later the little bastards. Im not seeing it so bad this year anyway, theres only two I know of so far and Im leaving them be.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,542 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Don't know why some can't vote?

I can vote and others have voted. :confused:

I don't mind the long leg types, it's the black bulby ones I detest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes it does.

What I won't to know is how often they shower and if they find Jason Byrne funny or not.

As for Spiders, completely harmless creatures and I don't get people's fear of them.

They are hideous things. Id love to not have a fear of them but everything about them is just unnatural. Nothing should move like that and have that many legs, my skin breaks out in an even layer of naked Goosebumps when I lay eyes on them, they are wrong on every single level. Horrible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Please send them to Cork to get rid of the gross flies coming from under my sister's oven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Where's the poll option to burn the house down?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I seem to be surrounded by large colonies of ants this year.

I have never checked the figures but I am led to believe that every house has a hell of a lot more spiders than you might even think on your worst day.

In fact generally when you see a spider on the move - it is a male looking to get laid. Otherwise they keep out of sight generally and you don't know they are there.

One boards user once told me that there is so many spiders in your house in fact that the probability one is looking directly at you at any given time is significantly high. Which - true or not - is a thought I have seen freak people out when I have mentioned it.

I can usually not recommend the Critter Shed Podcast enough. They are the ones that convinced me to start keeping cockroaches in my kitchen bin.

Dublin based - here is their episode on "Spider Sex" :)

Tax :(

Tax :(

Shhhh, the spiders are watching.

:pac:

Shhhh, the spiders are watching.

:pac:

:D

Advertisement