Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The Far Pavilions, a series set in colonial India.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I didn't see this programme but remember it advertised on RTE at the time. A Second In June , a one off drama centered around Ronald Regans Irish visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Amberjack wrote: »
    Eerie Indiana 1991-1992 only ran for one series.
    I quite enjoyed it
    I loved that show, like a junior X-Files.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Terrahawks. It had one of the scariest looking characters ever, Zelda

rCAR7sep_400x400.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

The Mysterious Cities of Gold (1982–1983)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

branie2 wrote: »
    Robin of Sherwood, theme music by Clannad
    I remember liking the way they would kill soldiers in it. They'd let let Guy of Gisbon go, but that was acceptable because he was actually Robin's brother. But thrn they cornered the sherriff of nottingham and let him go too, and I found that frustrating.

The numbers of himan deaths in a show was a major factor for me in deciding how good it was. Defenders of the Earth featured occasional aerial bombardments by ming's forces so that got top marks in that regard. Animal deaths on the other hand were upsetting and unnecessary.

I liked the theme music too. I went into a record shop and tried to buy it. They didnt have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

The saracen, or two-swords guy as I called him, was pretty cool too... I think it went downhill a bit when the swordsman became the new robin. Whose idea was that huh? Robin hood is synonomous with bows. It all went to someone's head i think

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'm With Busey.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Holmes & YoYo

Surely I didn't imagine it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The Red Hand Gang. Kind of live-action Scooby-Doo with preeteens.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The saracen, or two-swords guy as I called him, was pretty cool too... I think it went downhill a bit when the swordsman became the new robin. Whose idea was that huh? Robin hood is synonomous with bows. It all went to someone's head i think

Michael Praed and Jason Connery (Sean's son) played Robin. I don't remember if anyone else did.

I used to think Nazir (Saracen) was cool too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Don’t know if people remember them but I used to like China beach, space above and beyond and American Gothic. The last 2 only got a single series.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

screamer wrote:
    Don’t know if people remember them but I used to like China beach, space above and beyond and American Gothic. The last 2 only got a single series.

Ah Lucas Buck and Caleb, loved that show!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

One of my favourite cartoons growing up was Jayce and the wheeled warriors.
    It was set on a distant planet and some of the characters 'transformed' into vehicles (wheeled warriors) and was absolutely class if my brain is remembering correctly!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Loved China Beach and have been in love with Dana Delaney ever since.

Tour of Duty ran at the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

tedpan wrote: »
    Ah Lucas Buck and Caleb, loved that show!

Useless bit of info sorry if off topic. The actor that played Caleb is now in a CSI, I think New Orleans maybe, was watching it one night and I heard the strong accent and thought that’s very distinctive and sure enough it’s him. His real name is Lucas, which must’ve been weird in American Gothic when the creepy dad sheriff was called Lucas too, anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

screamer wrote: »
    Useless bit of info sorry if off topic. The actor that played Caleb is now in a CSI, I think New Orleans maybe, was watching it one night and I heard the strong accent and thought that’s very distinctive and sure enough it’s him. His real name is Lucas, which must’ve been weird in American Gothic when the creepy dad sheriff was called Lucas too, anyways.

Yes NCIS New Orleans and he is also in the F&F franchise in Tokyo drift and the new one coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I remember liking the way they would kill soldiers in it. They'd let let Guy of Gisbon go, but that was acceptable because he was actually Robin's brother. But thrn they cornered the sherriff of nottingham and let him go too, and I found that frustrating.

The numbers of himan deaths in a show was a major factor for me in deciding how good it was. Defenders of the Earth featured occasional aerial bombardments by ming's forces so that got top marks in that regard. Animal deaths on the other hand were upsetting and unnecessary.

I liked the theme music too. I went into a record shop and tried to buy it. They didnt have it.

The chap with the stags head who they worshiped in the forest used to creep me out. In one episode the Sherrifs men sneak up on one of their gatherings and shoot him with a crossbow, can't remember what happened next but presume he survived.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Neames wrote: »
    Holmes & YoYo

Surely I didn't imagine it.

No you didn't. What do you think was the inspiration for the "Friends" series-within-a-series called "Mac and C.H.E.E.S.E"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The chap with the stags head who they worshiped in the forest used to creep me out. In one episode the Sherrifs men sneak up on one of their gatherings and shoot him with a crossbow, can't remember what happened next but presume he survived.

Hern the Hunter :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

tedpan wrote: »
    One of my favourite cartoons growing up was Jayce and the wheeled warriors.
    It was set on a distant planet and some of the characters 'transformed' into vehicles (wheeled warriors) and was absolutely class if my brain is remembering correctly!

Was it not more that the characters were half monster plant half truck? I seem to remember them as that but very much open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Tenko

Butterfly Island

Having a look through old posts here again.
    Would be great if Tenko was available to watch online now.
    I must do some research.

Bangkok Hilton (late 80s) is another worth mentioning.
    It starred a very young Nicole Kidman, and Denholm Elliott in one of his final roles before he died.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

cml387 wrote: »
    Emmmm no.

I was huge fan at the time, but it's aged badly, tinfoil suits running around Television Centre and some outside filmed inserts shot in a quarry near Reading.
    You know what they say...never go back.

Indeed. Even at the time, post Star Wars, it looked terribly cheap. I did quite like the story at the time though.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Loved China Beach and have been in love with Dana Delaney ever since.

Tour of Duty ran at the same.

I think China Beach was on late on Thursday nights on Network 2. Robert Picardo was great in it too.

I remember Tour of Duty was on Bravo. A young Kyle Chandler was in a later season of it. I was watching an episode of 6 Feet Under recently and Terence Knox turned up in it. I don't think I've ever seen him in anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Maxx355

Rhoda is one i remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Terrahawks. It had one of the scariest looking characters ever, Zelda

rCAR7sep_400x400.jpeg
    she went on to star in eastenders.

Shirley-Carter-in-EastEnders-918802.jpg

DvSWB0lWoAEHSvC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

MONKEY

Monkey Magic - used to be on sky 1 - Japanese madness

Around the twist - like some other posters this show used to annoy me but I would still watch it despite myself

Simon and the witch was good entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hibble

This was shown BBC3 or 4 about 10 years ago. I thought it was excellent.

https://youtu.be/YZnsZeR6gD8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

RIPTIDE

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Advertisement