Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead birds

Options
  • 27-05-2020 12:01am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this is the wrong forum...

I was out walking earlier and I saw 3 dead birds. They were all on the footpath, separated by about 1.5km (from first to last).

They were just dead - not squashed by a car or bleeding out or anything.

One was a small brown bird (perhaps a female blackbird), one was a magpie and one looked like a baby bird of some sorts (bigger than the small brown one but very scrawny/fluffy, similar to how a chick looks when hatched).

Anyway! After the first I thought “you rarely see a dead bird” and remembered a conversation I had years ago. So it got me thinking after seeing 3 - could there be something dodgy in the area, and if so, is there someone I should contact?

Dublin 11 area - Poppintree Park/Jamestown Road direction.

Mentioned to a friend that lives locally and he said there is a rat infestation in the locality and knows of a few houses that got Rentokil (or equivalent) in. Could that be the cause?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if it’s the wrong forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Its more likely given the species that they got a glancing blow from a vehicle and died from internal injuries on the payment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

sullivlo wrote: »
    So it got me thinking after seeing 3 - could there be something dodgy in the area, and if so, is there someone I should contact?

Dublin 11 area - Poppintree Park/Jamestown Road direction.

Jamestown Road has the first 5G mast set up for use outside of test sites.
    QED.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Its more likely given the species that they got a glancing blow from a vehicle and died from internal injuries on the payment

3 in a 1.5km space when there normally wouldn’t even be one?
    Effects wrote: »
    Jamestown Road has the first 5G mast set up for use outside of test sites.
    QED.

That’s it! I knew I felt differently when walking there recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I’ve noticed a good few crows dead on the ditches in the past week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,520 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sullivlo wrote: »
    3 in a 1.5km space when there normally wouldn’t even be one?
    it is fledging time, so lots of young birds bumbling around with no street sensibility.

• Advertisement
Advertisement