Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend app to learn to play guitar.

Options
  • 01-04-2020 10:01pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ive ordered a cheap acoustic guitar from Littlewoods. It comes with six months access to gigajam.com. Are there better aps to teach yourself guitar or should I just try it and see if I like the site? I'm a complete beginner, just looking to pass the time in lockdown. Its something I always wanted to do though.

Tia.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Fender are giving 3 months totally free.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Thanks, I'll check that out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Look up justin guitar. Best instruction out there, bar none, and most if it completely free

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭This is it

I started playing just after Christmas and generally just watch YouTube videos. I do think I'd be further on if I had a couple of 1-1 lessons but I'll keep going as is for now, decent progress I think. Two I'd recommend are Good Guitarist and Andy Guitar. Good Guitarist is particularly good for complete beginners IMO, once you know the chords you can move between the two.

I'm sure there are plenty more out there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Thanks for all the recommendations, I'll check them all out while I wait for my guitar to arrive. You're all very helpful in here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Ive ordered a cheap acoustic guitar from Littlewoods. It comes with six months access to gigajam.com. Are there better aps to teach yourself guitar or should I just try it and see if I like the site? I'm a complete beginner, just looking to pass the time in lockdown. Its something I always wanted to do though.

Tia.

Good luck with it... Have had a guitar for 4 years, never really given it a go but now with some spare time going to give it a try. Signed up with Fender a few days ago, haven't started yet so cannot recommend how good lessons are

Yeah, I got a guitar years ago too. Bought some books on how to teach yourself, never took to it/the books weren't very good and I can't read music. Ended up giving the guitar to my niece one Christmas. Hopefully it works out better this time round. Its not like I have better things to do at the minute.

One thing I'd recommend is to print out a sheet with the main chords on it. All well and good following the video but if you forget the chords it's handy to have a sheet beside you to refer to. Even better if you can laminate it

OK so I started watching the Justin guitar lessons and cancelled the order for the cheap acoustic and ordered an electric guitar instead. What they were saying about it being hard to play put me off.

Whatever you're into. I much prefer the sound of the acoustic. I wouldn't be picking one over the other because it's easier, not that I'd know which is easier anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Usual advice is to get the one which matches the style of music you want to play. Hard rock and metal go electric, acoustic fingerstyle etc go acoustic. Another plus is electrics are easier to play. The negatives are that you need an amp and lead, and theres more faffing about trying to get your tone right etc. With an acoustic you just pick up and play.

A well set up acoustic wont be that hard to play and I and many others would have started off on acoustics

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I think most of the online lesson companies offer a couple of weeks free lessons.

Fender are as good as any of them but I would recommend trying them all.

You tube is great for learning a particular song but not for overall lessons as there's no structure.

As for Acoustic or Electric ? That's just personal choice.

I would always recommend starting with an Acoustic as it's a lot more difficult to go back the other way but if you stick at it and get good you'll end up owning a few guitars of all shapes and sizes anyway. It's a bit addictive like that.

I also just love the sound of an acoustic guitar but again that's personal choice.

Anyway, good luck with it !

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

GarageBand is also a good one and it is free. But only available for iOS. AmpliTube is a little pricy but I like its features like 11 pedal effects and 5 amps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Justin for sure on youtube, always good and can pitch his beginner lessons just right.

I used to watch Marty Schwartz for lessons but have really gone off him in the last couple of years and gone back to Justin.

I've been playing for about 35 years and I'm still learning new stuff all the time, so playing guitar is a bit like decorating your house, it's never really 'finished'! Youtube is great though, in fact I cant figure out how I learned to play anything before youtube!

Advertisement