Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-07-2019, 18:47   #301
shar01

I quickly discovered there's nowt so quare as folks. The vast majority of contacts have been positive.

Then there was this message:
"I remain outraged how you have taken MY family information and woven it into your tree. I've also looked at other information you've added and thought, huh???

You indicate you're a beginner and, with that, I suggest you start checking your facts. You and I have NO DNA IN COMMON in fact, we have nothing in common."

Poor woman doesn't appear to understand how marriage works
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
06-07-2019, 00:06   #302
pedroeibar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
So I contacted a DNA match for my Dad's cousin yesterday - there's a shared surname in his list and I gave a bit of info about my people with that name. He replied with the same. But swiftly followed a second email saying he'd googled me, knew I was a genealogist and said it would have been better if I'd been upfront about it and my motives!

I suppose he thinks I'm somehow profiting from his info?
I’ve had similar experiences to you and Hermy (following post to above) ; it’s not infrequent. I long ago realised that some of those who write bitchy responses are sad people who spend too much time on their own and as a result can be over-protective of what they perceive as ‘their’ family. I would respond to that rather obnoxious person stating that yes, I am a professional, that the shared information is about my own family, it’s about research that I have done myself, not for a client and provided to him/her to further common understanding. They might 'climb down'.

But I can understand some people being wary of professionals– I’ve been ‘done’ by a professional and many many years later it still rankles. Years of work presented to him on a plate on the promise of his sharing results and then dead silence, a total void and eventually a plaintive ‘the client would not let me share’, an excuse that is about as factual as unicorns.
Thanks from:
06-07-2019, 01:36   #303
Jellybaby1

Only this evening I have come across a hint on Ancestry which connects my tree to another. I've viewed the tree and they have quite a lot of my family all right but oh my lord they've made such an awful mess of it. The wrong parents, the wrong children, the wrong spouses, duplicates of people, its all over the place! Having read your comments I'm wary of contacting the owner. I might just leave them in their ignorance but the problem is that they have taken some of the information from my other relatives who have their trees public. Mine has always been private.
(4) thanks from:
06-07-2019, 08:09   #304
shar01

I think it depends on how you approach it. I came across a person when some matches to my Tree. To be fair they had put the description of "work in progress" in their profile.

She had children born within 7/8 months of each other on two continents. I messaged her that Irish mammies were great but they weren't super women. She took it with good humour and removed the incorrect children.

I mention it in my profile to point out any errors.
(2) thanks from:
06-07-2019, 12:15   #305
paumurp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybaby1 View Post
Only this evening I have come across a hint on Ancestry which connects my tree to another. I've viewed the tree and they have quite a lot of my family all right but oh my lord they've made such an awful mess of it. The wrong parents, the wrong children, the wrong spouses, duplicates of people, its all over the place! Having read your comments I'm wary of contacting the owner. I might just leave them in their ignorance but the problem is that they have taken some of the information from my other relatives who have their trees public. Mine has always been private.

In a sort of similar situation. A family my mother's great aunt married into, but they have people appearing in records in Ireland and the US at more or less the same time. There is the potential they were back and forward across the Atlantic, but unlikely.

There is another which has all the same people, but they have attributed a WW1 death to the wrong person. Name is right, but my own research has shown it to be the wrong person. They've also linked to the wrong family in the census. Very similar family names and close to years of birth but wrong people.

I had drafted an introduction, but pointing out the errors, but then bottled out of sending it. Not sure it would be welcome news.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-07-2019, 13:37   #306
pinkypinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroeibar1 View Post
I’ve had similar experiences to you and Hermy (following post to above) ; it’s not infrequent. I long ago realised that some of those who write bitchy responses are sad people who spend too much time on their own and as a result can be over-protective of what they perceive as ‘their’ family. I would respond to that rather obnoxious person stating that yes, I am a professional, that the shared information is about my own family, it’s about research that I have done myself, not for a client and provided to him/her to further common understanding. They might 'climb down'.

But I can understand some people being wary of professionals– I’ve been ‘done’ by a professional and many many years later it still rankles. Years of work presented to him on a plate on the promise of his sharing results and then dead silence, a total void and eventually a plaintive ‘the client would not let me share’, an excuse that is about as factual as unicorns.
I did reply to that effect not long after I read the initial but there has been silence. His loss!
Thanks from:
12-07-2019, 12:46   #307
kanadams123

Anyone else having trouble logging into Ancestry??
I was automatically logged out both on my PC and phone and am unable to log back in.
Thanks from:
12-07-2019, 13:34   #308
crossman47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanadams123 View Post
Anyone else having trouble logging into Ancestry??
I was automatically logged out both on my PC and phone and am unable to log back in.
Yes. Similar experience today
(2) thanks from:
13-07-2019, 18:38   #309
shar01

Anyone else having problems updating credit card details on Ancestry? Dropdown is not showing Irish counties.
Advertisement
17-07-2019, 07:28   #310
Deja Boo

I don't have a paid subscription, so I have no reference for that shar01. I shall have to leave it up to others to reply.

Does there seem to be a pattern (or repetition) of illnesses or causes of death of your ancestors? Just wonder whether our genetic health is more predominantly linked through the maternal or paternal line.

Last edited by Deja Boo; 17-07-2019 at 08:53. Reason: for conciseness
17-07-2019, 08:03   #311
pinkypinky

I don't think you can apply the patterns of death or prevalent illnesses in your family to modern times. Even 50 years ago, people could die of tiny little things that no one dies of now (in Ireland). Even if there's a genetic predisposition to, say, breast cancer, or heart disease, we have screening for these things now, and better awareness.
Thanks from:
17-07-2019, 08:25   #312
Deja Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
I don't think you can apply the patterns of death or prevalent illnesses in your family to modern times. Even 50 years ago, people could die of tiny little things that no one dies of now (in Ireland). Even if there's a genetic predisposition to, say, breast cancer, or heart disease, we have screening for these things now, and better awareness.
makes sense... thanks for the reply pinkypinky

Last edited by Deja Boo; 17-07-2019 at 08:49.
17-07-2019, 08:53   #313
Vetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Boo View Post
Does there seem to be a pattern (or repetition) to the causes of death of your ancestors? It makes me question whether our health is potentially pre-destined by the genetics on the maternal or paternal line ?... It's not looking good on my mam's side of things, if maternal is the dominant genetic health line. [/COLOR][/I]
I think that an important question revolves around the accuracy of diagnosis of medical conditions in the past. What's written on certs may not be correct.
(2) thanks from:
17-07-2019, 08:55   #314
Deja Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetch View Post
I think that an important question revolves around the accuracy of diagnosis of medical conditions in the past. What's written on certs may not be correct.
(certs are all I have to go by) but their potential for inaccuracies or diagnoses is good to learn, thanks Vetch!
17-07-2019, 12:10   #315
tabbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetch View Post
Terminology also changes. Even in the last thirty or forty years, countless diagnoses are labelled differently.
Over a hundred years ago, many causes of death are totally different to what people assume.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion