Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-05-2019, 10:23   #31
ILoveYourVibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac foley View Post
Oy.

You need to read the excellent book about Yiddish, called 'The jOYS of Yiddish' by Leo Rosten. It's very gemutlich.
Ashamed to say i know very little Yiddish
Advertisement
11-05-2019, 11:21   #32
whisky_galore

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmongous View Post

I was first introduced to it be some non jewish german friends who sing some of their songs
"Bei Mir Bistu Shein" better known by the Germanized title Bei Mir Bist Du Schön became a smash hit in Germany in 1938 and hugely popular in the German expat community in the US as it was assumed to be an uncontroversial song in a southern German dialect, uproar occurred when its Jewish provenance was abruptly discovered, widely publicized by the press and promptly banned by the Nazis.
13-05-2019, 09:18   #33
Peregrinus

Yiddish is basically a dialect of German, with a bunch of loan-words from Hebrew and various Slavic languages, written using the Hebrew alphabet. Most speakers of German can make some headway in understanding spoken Yiddish, but unless they are familiar with the the Hebrew alphabet the written language is not comprehensible to them.

Hebrew was chosen as the official language for Israel for two reasons. First, as already pointed out, Yiddish was largely unknown to Sephardic Jews, but both Ashkenazi and Sephardic communities had some familiarity with Hebrew from religious study and liturgical uses. Secondly, secular Zionists were keen to claim Hebrew as a daily vernacular, rather than having an important aspect of Jewish history and culture be the preserve only of religious Jews.
13-05-2019, 12:55   #34
tac foley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveYourVibes View Post
Ashamed to say i know very little Yiddish
It is written in English. The capitalising of the letters OY in joys is deliberate. I guess you don't be's around us Jews much, eh? Oy.
13-05-2019, 23:31   #35
pedroeibar1

Quote:
I guess you don't be's around us Jews much, eh? Oy.
No big surprise there Tac. Although the Jewish population in Ireland has increased by more than one third since 2000, the total number is now about 2,500, more than half living in the Dublin area. That gives a national ratio of about one to 2500 non-Jews. We goyim rarely get to meet a mench!
Advertisement
14-05-2019, 08:57   #36
tac foley

Gevalt.
19-05-2019, 08:32   #37
ILoveYourVibes

Quote:
It is written in English. The capitalising of the letters OY in joys is deliberate. I guess you don't be's around us Jews much, eh? Oy.

I am Jewish. My mom's grandparents spoke yiddish. I haven't a word though except maybe yiddish slang etc.

Yes I gathered (the book ) it was written in English.

Last edited by ILoveYourVibes; 19-05-2019 at 08:43.
19-05-2019, 08:35   #38
ILoveYourVibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroeibar1 View Post
No big surprise there Tac. Although the Jewish population in Ireland has increased by more than one third since 2000, the total number is now about 2,500, more than half living in the Dublin area. That gives a national ratio of about one to 2500 non-Jews. We goyim rarely get to meet a mench!

The increase was a lot of immigration of Jews from elsewhere. Israel (mostly IT people or finance) and eastern Europe.
19-05-2019, 13:07   #39
tac foley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveYourVibes View Post
The increase was a lot of immigration of Jews from elsewhere. Israel (mostly IT people or finance) and eastern Europe.
What's that? Jews LEAVING Israel to work in Ireland? What next?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-05-2019, 23:31   #40
ILoveYourVibes

Quote:
What's that? Jews LEAVING Israel to work in Ireland? What next?
I know. They all seem to work in IT or finance. Also some poles.

I am not sure if they will stay it seems to be projects they come over for about 2 yrs and then back to Israel some stay obv.
19-05-2019, 23:43   #41
feargale

It would be interesting to know if Yiddish developed any distictive features in Ireland, such as borrowing local words etc. I'm sure it would be over the top to talk about an Irish dialect, given its relatively short life and the small number of speakers. Nonetheless.......
20-05-2019, 01:05   #42
ILoveYourVibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by feargale View Post
It would be interesting to know if Yiddish developed any distictive features in Ireland, such as borrowing local words etc. I'm sure it would be over the top to talk about an Irish dialect, given its relatively short life and the small number of speakers. Nonetheless.......

It would be litvish ....it does have a lot of borrowed words. But not just from English. Some particular to wherever the person was from or their background.

So no not exactly an Irish dialect. Most hassidic communities use litvish chabad etc. Rabbi Zalman lent is a chabad rabbi.

My grandad used to call an umbrella a zont. That is not yiddish as far as i know its russian.
20-05-2019, 01:18   #43
ILoveYourVibes

Actually this is interesting James Connolly gave out his campaign leaflet in 1902 in a yiddish translation it says here.

https://comeheretome.com/tag/james-connolly/

Last edited by ILoveYourVibes; 20-05-2019 at 01:30.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion