Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it worth spraying docks?

• 28-03-2020 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

Have been spraying docks with the last 5ish years once per year. Always did the silage ground. They still come back again. They do die out for the cut of silage but come back again after cutting.

Is it just a waste spraying them and another expense when they keep coming back. Did Anyone ever get the better of them other than reseeding?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Surely your seeing smaller numbers year on year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

mengele wrote: »
    Have been spraying docks with the last 5ish years once per year. Always did the silage ground. They still come back again. They do die out for the cut of silage but come back again after cutting.

Is it just a waste spraying them and another expense when they keep coming back. Did Anyone ever get the better of them other than reseeding?

Whatever you are spraying with must not be great. You should consider spraying after the silage is cut. The docks will be weakened by there growing and cutting and as well will be nice and leafy.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭hopeso

Keep spraying...but maybe try a different spray, or a stronger dose. Even to have a clean crop of grass for the silage after spraying is worth it. But you should be seeing them well thinned out, or practically cleared after five years of spraying. Saying that, I had one small area in the middle of one field that would always return, despite annual spraying for a number of years. I wouldn't consider reseeding a good way of getting rid of them at all. If anything, it seems to make them worse by bringing old roots back to life.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭Jack C

Been battling against docks for years now and have concluded that Forefront, although expensive is yer only man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Grueller

Jack C wrote: »
    Been battling against docks for years now and have concluded that Forefront, although expensive is yer only man.

You beat me to it. Great stuff altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭50HX

mengele wrote: »

I went with underclear after reseeding

Didn't need to spray in year 2, went with pastor trio last year...Dock levels were low though

Made a decision at reseeding time to not spread slurry on this ground

Don't know if that is off any significance

Preseeding dock levels were med-high

Docks love high levels of p +k. ...one more than the other can't remember which

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Used Forefront 2 yrs ago on a corner of a field with a longstanding infestation. 100% clearance and 'stayed gone'.
    In 2019 did 5 acres over 3 patches of fields. Super result.

Docks were in a strong rosette state each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Used Eagle only because there is clover. Initial results looked good, leaves died off, ground looked cleared. 1 month latter the same plants were pushing up new growth.
    Very disappointing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Used Eagle only because there is clover. Initial results looked good, leaves died off, ground looked cleared. 1 month latter the same plants were pushing up new growth.
    Very disappointing

Clover safe stuff generally isn't worth a fcuk

Very disappointing

Yea same here.
    Found dockstar better.

• Advertisement

We’re down to abkut 1/3 burden that we had.

It’s a small area and I’m thinking of spot spraying the remainder with roundup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Goats are the only job.:D
    Neighbour here had a field that only had horses in it for years. It was destroyed with docks. There is only goats in it the last few years and there is a lovely green matt of grass in it now. No docks whatsoever.
    Sheep for a few years would do the same job, I'd imagine.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭drive it

Is it to early yet to spray docks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭mountai

Jesus Lads , you are destroying a future Cash Crop if this panic buying continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,216 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'd agree with the sheep. Used to always have a few sheep around back in the day. Not any more, but the place has become plagued with ragworth and docks.

For the OP, depending on what you are spreading on the ground you might be spreading more seeds every year. I think that they can go back out in slurry or dung if you are bringing them in in hay or silage from last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

I'd agree with the sheep. Used to always have a few sheep around back in the day. Not any more, but the place has become plagued with ragworth and docks.

For the OP, depending on what you are spreading on the ground you might be spreading more seeds every year. I think that they can go back out in slurry or dung if you are bringing them in in hay or silage from last year

This is why I was spraying them the last few years- to not bring them in the silage. My silage has always been spotless the last 5 years as i had sprayed beforehand. But they grow again after cutting. Granted this ground gets about 80% of my slurry.

You cant use forefront on silage ground though can you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

They say that docks won't grow (or well) on high calcium soil.
    Maybe something to look at when you have soil test results.

drive it wrote: »
    Is it to early yet to spray docks?

That’s what I’ve been told.
    Can’t spray of frost is a possibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭I says

Going spraying silage ground today forefront on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Ill leave this here, looked to be killing them anyway.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I sprayed forefront on 26 odd acres couple about 2 weeks ago with forefront. Contractor never heard of it There won’t be any slurry/fert thrown on it so I will see first hand whether it’s good.

On another small holding where I have wildflowers I am digging up the roots myself. Not too many docks but you sure get an idea how deep the roots can go! Coming across many of those larvae that feed on the roots.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

slightly off topic, but has anyone ever let livestock into their fields after spraying with Dockstar 12 to 24hrs later? It says 7 days on the information leaflet....

Advertisement