Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Unemployment payment

Options
  • 28-03-2020 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi Guys,

Are farmers whose sole income is from farming entitled to the emergency payment given that the marts have shut?

The form is very basic but for last day worked or cessation date would you put the day the marts shut?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I'm didn't think farmers of any sort were entitled to the payment. The marts shutting is not a reason for the payment,does a tillage man not get it then going by that train of thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I'm didn't think farmers of any sort were entitled to the payment. The marts shutting is not a reason for the payment,does a tillage man not get it then going by that train of thought.

Depends, if you're a haulier/dealer or your business specifically correlates with marts, you're probably eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I think you get it if you are hospitalized or have to self isolate for 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Simply put because the marts are shut your income is just delayed so your not really out of pocket due to Covid.
    Farming is still fully operational during this period with some minor inconveniences.
    I’m not suggesting you are but abuse of this payment will not be tolerated.
    As Reggio said you need to be a confirmed reactor to get it and even at that I don’t think it’s right unless you need to hire in help to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Waternotsoda

I'm not sure how it will go. There's talk of serious Quatative easing from the eu. This is a much faster reaction than in 2008. They took years to act back then. That means both the irish banks and government will be under pressure to put money into the economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Simply put because the marts are shut your income is just delayed so your not really out of pocket due to Covid.
    Farming is still fully operational during this period with some minor inconveniences.
    As Reggio said you need to be a confirmed reactor to get it and even at that I don’t think it’s right unless you need to hire in help to cover.

A Reactor - hopefully we won't have to be run up the crush.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

According to this article in Agriland from Dermot O'Brien an Ag consultant in Kerry - "In the absence of clear instruction, I would recommend that all self-employed farmers make the application for the Covid-19 support payment. Make the application today."

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/letter-to-the-editor-farmers-need-clarity-on-covid-19-social-protection-pay/

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Sacrolyte wrote: »

The last bit isnt right you dont have to have covid 19 its emergency payment for those who have lost out on work because of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Base price wrote: »
    According to this article in Agriland from Dermot O'Brien an Ag consultant in Kerry - "In the absence of clear instruction, I would recommend that all self-employed farmers make the application for the Covid-19 support payment. Make the application today."

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/letter-to-the-editor-farmers-need-clarity-on-covid-19-social-protection-pay/
    And that's exactly what I did for a family member, the online application really isn't geared towards self employed but I filled up as best I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Base price wrote: »

Is a dairy farmer entitled to apply for it???
    Surely not .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

i think the one man show/self employed has been left behind with the raft of new supports with the corona virus and this will effect the majority of farmers. the rules are not as clear cut i.e. if you are a cafe owner and have had to close then yes apply because you have ceased to trade. but if you are a farmer and even though you cant go to the mart and there is reduced demand for beef have you ceased to trade when the cattle are out in the fields grazing and still in the shed? this is not clear to me as one of the central parts is "cease to trade" i dont think all of the supports and legislation have been thought through. i think that other sectors such as the 70% wage support or the temporary lay support business better than the self employed sector.
    reminds me a little of the research and development (R&D) that was brought in a number of yeas ago which was self certified and offered incentives for research and development. At the time the guidleines were loose enough and a couple of years late revenue investigated and deemed that people got tax relief were they shouldnt have and they charged interest and penalties in these cases and it became a real money spinner for revenue

Advertisement