Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in a big city without the perks of a big city freaking sucks

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

topper75 wrote: »
    One of the best documentaries I've ever seen. The banjo player on the infamous tune just died the other day (Weissberg and not the guy who played the in bred kid).

The inbred young fella is working in his local shop now, they canvassed the locality for extras and when they spotted the n the school they reckoned he was perfect for the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Stateofyou wrote: »
    So what if he is? Ireland and especially Dublin is diverse these days. Step into the 21st century why don't you. :rolleyes:

It was sarcasm, he’s obviously Irish using American slang words.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Dakota Dan wrote: »

How is he obviously Irish though?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'd imagine the OP is most likely American and is of course most welcome in Dublin and on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Will someone please tell me what a 'sneaky bubble tea' is :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Will someone please tell me what a 'sneaky bubble tea' is :confused:
    A bubble tea is a pretty horrible cold and flavoured tea usually with balls in it usually made of tapioca or jelly.
    It is not that nice.
    I am not sure why you would have a sneaky one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Its great living in the country tho, ive worked all day and havent met a soul, the coast road to fanore is as busy today as usual so are people just not getting the message about staying at home

I must admit op that i find myself having little sympathy for urban dwellers, give me the Atlantic wind and burren pavement over city living convenience cooped up in isolation boxes every day and hearing your neighbours take a piss first thing every morning, itll be a long few weeks ahead for many housed like battery hens in so called convenient city living

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

gmisk wrote: »
    A bubble tea is a pretty horrible cold and flavoured tea usually with balls in it usually made of tapioca or jelly.
    It is not that nice.
    I am not sure why you would have a sneaky one.

The sneaky part is the frogs you didn’t see copulating in that pond water

Its great living in the country tho, ive worked all day and havent met a soul, the coast road to fanore is as busy today as usual so are people just not getting the message about staying at home

I must admit op that i find myself having little sympathy for urban dwellers, give me the Atlantic wind and burren pavement over city living convenience cooped up in isolation boxes every day and hearing your neighbours take a piss first thing every morning, itll be a long few weeks ahead for many housed like battery hens in so called convenient city living

Why would you have little sympathy if you think they live in such dire conditions? And, why, during a crisis like this would you try scoring cheap shots like this. Your "I'm all right Jack, fook everyone else" attitude stinks as bad as your warped idea of urban living.

Back in your box Still Waters, don't get out of it unless you're going to help some of the elderly people in your community..

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Why would you have little sympathy if you think they live in such dire conditions? And, why, during a crisis like this would you try scoring cheap shots like this. Your "I'm all right Jack, fook everyone else" attitude stinks as bad as your warped idea of urban living.

Back in your box Still Waters, don't get out of it unless you're going to help some of the elderly people in your community..

Ok princess don't get your panties in a twist because of some perceived slight, I'm just remarking that convenient city living can get old very fast when confined to barracks, oh and i drop a bag of timber every 2 days to an elderly neighbour and the wife brings her anything she needs from the shop, back into your own box for now Rambo wannabe

• Advertisement

Ok princess don't get your panties in a twist because of some perceived slight, I'm just remarking that convenient city living can get old very fast when confined to barracks

Who told you that? No different to rural living when confined to the house, and we all get out for our exercise in parks and on beaches.

Some apartment dwellers might be feeling the pain a bit more, but logging on to boards.ie to boast about your superior position and sneer at them and express what little sympathy you have for them or anyone finding this crises tough is mean spirited, selfish, petty, amateur and pretty classless.
    oh and i drop a bag of timber every 2 days to an elderly neighbour and the wife brings her anything she needs from the shop, back into your own box for now Rambo wannabe

I thought the list of good deeds would appear when you were called out. Don't believe you for a second, sure your all right Jack. ;)

Who told you that? No different to rural living when confined to the house, and we all get out for our exercise in parks and on beaches.

Some apartment dwellers might be feeling the pain a bit more, but logging on to boards.ie to boast about your superior position and sneer at them and express what little sympathy you have for them or anyone finding this crises tough is mean spirited, selfish, petty, amateur and pretty classless.

I thought the list of good deeds would appear when you were called out. Don't believe you for a second, sure your all right Jack. ;)

What? Are you saying you don't believe me, what makes you doubt the words of an anonymous stranger on the internet, ate you this cynical in real life

What? Are you saying you don't believe me, what makes you doubt the words of an anonymous stranger on the internet, ate you this cynical in real life

Don't believe a word.

Anyone that logs on to the internet to boast about their situation in comparison to others that are having a hard time during the biggest crisis the country will ever see in your lifetime doesn't help out with their neighbours.

It amazes me what people like you take pleasure out of sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Gin helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

OP have you thought about relocating to a big city with the big city perks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 DirtyHarry88

CNJxYW6.jpeg

Living in a big city always sucks imo. Can’t beat the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Just googled Bubble tea.

I'm now really glad I grew up in the country.

I was speaking to a friend last night who is in a small town in the West at the moment on his own (he only moved there 1 year ago )

He’s feeling isolated and a ‘blow in’. He said it’s worse in the country as everyone sees the slightest move you make so if he goes out walking or cycling further than 2KM there the curtains will very much be twitching and reports made to Gardai.

The irony in the country is that walking around your tiny town will bring you in to contact with more people than going on your bike for a 20KM cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

NSAman wrote: »
    Just in shopping for the week (40 mile trip), had a shower, clothes in the washing machine and shoes outside the front door of the house.

Lucky for you. At my house in Mayo, there's a local dog who takes shoes if you leave them outside. He even opens the back door himself, if you don't lock it, and takes whatever shoes he can find.

• Advertisement

Well ironically I was speaking to a friend last night who is in a small town in Mayo at the moment on his own (he’s originally from Dublin and only moved there 1 year ago )

He’s feeling very isolated and very much a ‘blow in’. He said it’s worse in the country as everyone sees the slightest move you make so if he heads out walking or cycling further than 2KM there the curtains will very much be twitching and reports made to Gardai.

The irony in the country is that walking around your tiny town will bring you in to contact with more people than going on your bike for a 20KM cycle.

It just sounds like he's paranoid

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dakota Dan wrote: »

"Sucks" has been commonly used by Irish people for 30 years or more.

It's about as "American" as saying "yeah" instead of "yes".

It just sounds like he's paranoid

Well he’s trying to stick to the 2KM guidelines like everyone else . Are you ?

Well he’s trying to stick to the 2KM guidelines like everyone else . Are you ?

Yes, are you

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Wage slaves sell their soul for the Big Smoke.

Cities were designed for wage slavery.

Yes, are you

100%;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Cities were designed for wage slavery.

Say it ain't so Krusty

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    OP have you thought about relocating to a big city with the big city perks?

I named a bunch of the perks I enjoy on a day to day basis. I'm in no way giving out about the city but merely wrote a small list things I miss doing while isolated. It was just supposed to.be a small thread jokingly reflecting how boring a city is without the city activities.

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    I named a bunch of the perks I enjoy on a day to day basis. I'm in no way giving out about the city but merely wrote a small list things I miss doing while isolated. It was just supposed to.be a small thread jokingly reflecting how boring a city is without the city activities.

It was a good idea, but destined to be trolled by the "I'm all right jack" and the "serves you right" brigades. The people that don't like foreigners, and the people that get pleasure out of what they perceive minor misfortunes on people other than themselves.

A lot of Irish people not living in a city in Ireland can't appreciate the massive change city dwellers would see in comparison to the changes in less populated areas where there wouldn't be that much of a visual or cultural change. A very quiet area in North West Clare will still be a very quiet area in North West Clare during the crisis.

I get where you're coming from, the little rituals, the small pleasures which are normal to you aren't doable any more. It's not life and death, but it's interesting to hear about, thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, this is a red rag for some people that feel your complaining about silly things when there's people sick and dying in hospital.

It's also an opportunity for people to boast about how little they're affected and to "get one up" on people that are more affected by the crisis, however small these affects are.

I'm really missing the small things too. I miss my parents (my mother has a life long disease and C-19 will be very serious if she gets it), my friends and my activities.
    I have grown to hate (previously enjoyed) shopping cause I'm shopping for my folks, my family and my elderly neighbour. It's stressful with queues, trying to maintain distance and juggling three lists and only one trolly. I've a new born breast fed baby in the house and I'm worried that I'll bring the virus home after a shopping trip.

But. There's always going to be haters. This thread proves it.

• Advertisement

. A very quiet area in North West Clare will still be a very quiet area in North West Clare during the crisis.

:) i know, its only right to be thankful for the small things in life

Advertisement