Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf price chitchat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Reggie. wrote: »
    Which is?

Permits required to go to the shop. To the vet. To leave the farm at all for any purpose.

As Dawg put it
    I feel obliged to inform you on the state of play here.

The **** has hit the fan.
    They waited too long to go total lockdown and now things are quickly deteriorating.
    Just this morning I’ve a puncture that won’t be repaired, a pulsation problem in the milking machine, a bust hydraulic pipe, and need antibiotics for eye problems in a few cows...and the hassle involved to get it sorted. I’ll get the antibiotics this evening but the other problems will have to wait...until God knows when.

I’ve been ringing relatives and friends to tell them how bad this is going to get, and to isolate immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Permits required to go to the shop. To the vet. To leave the farm at all for any purpose.

As Dawg put it

This country will never go like that as we have no way to enforce it. The likes of spain, france and the likes have huge police forces along with local militias. No way you could do that here. If the country was to do that it would stall completely. The government barely had the power to close the pubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Panch18 wrote: »
    Timmay you'll need to act fast if you are going to sell them

A nationwide lockdown is rapidly approaching and i would say that marts will be closed following that

2 different mart managers rang me today looking for store cattle for customers.

1 is a mart I do very little business with and he rang about 15 minutes after the other guy.

I think there is something about to happen OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

This country will never go like that as we have no way to enforce it. The likes of spain, france and the likes have huge police forces along with local militias. No way you could do that here. If the country was to do that it would stall completely. The government barely had the power to close the pubs

Logic would dictate that there will be a total shut down in Ireland at some stage. All of the signs point towards that. We have been building towards it for a while now

Alot of European countries are going to go full lock down at some stage over the next month, we’ll be no different

Logic would dictate that there will be a total shut down in Ireland at some stage. All of the signs point towards that. We have been building towards it for a while now

Alot of European countries are going to go full lock down at some stage over the next month, we’ll be no different
    How will the country work then? Milk has to be collected... slurry tanks have to be emptied...vets are needed... fuel has to be delivered....meal has to be delivered.

The likes of Marts and stuff being closed isn't a full lockdown

It was in the news snippets this morning that the government stated that the building trade will not be closed under any circumstances

How will the country work then? Milk has to be collected... slurry tanks have to be emptied...vets are needed... fuel has to be delivered....meal has to be delivered.

The likes of Marts and stuff being closed isn't a full lockdown

It was in the news snippets this morning that the government stated that the building trade will not be closed under any circumstances

How does it work in Italy, Spain, France and I see there now that Baveria is locking down

How does it work in Italy, Spain, France and I see there now that Baveria is locking down

All work that cant be done at home is allowed so all I mentioned above is still moving. You can still go outside for a walk and exercise. If you need to go anywhere you print off a form, fill it in and have it on your person.

Lockdown mainly means you cant leave or enter the country in question.

People believe that a lockdown is imprisonment in your home. That's not the case at all. Theres way too much scare mongering and half truths being spread.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200317-france-s-coronavirus-lockdown-what-you-can-and-can-t-do

Also 51% of the cases are in dublin city which is a tiny area compared to the rest of the country which has 49% of the cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

orm0nd wrote: »
    2 different mart managers rang me today looking for store cattle for customers.

1 is a mart I do very little business with and he rang about 15 minutes after the other guy.

I think there is something about to happen OK

What do you think it’s a sign of? Marts closing??

All work that cant be done at home is allowed so all I mentioned above is still moving. You can still go outside for a walk and exercise. If you need to go anywhere you print off a form, fill it in and have it on your person.

Lockdown mainly means you cant leave or enter the country in question.

People believe that a lockdown is imprisonment in your home. That's not the case at all. Theres way too much scare mongering and half truths being spread.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200317-france-s-coronavirus-lockdown-what-you-can-and-can-t-do

Also 51% of the cases are in dublin city which is a tiny area compared to the rest of the country which has 49% of the cases

There is nothing scare mongering about saying that Ireland will be going into lockdown, there is a very strong chance it will happen

If it does then it will mean that all non essential travel will not be allowed, if we follow those other countries then there will be fines handed out if your not out for essential reasons. Food shops and pharmacy will only allow a few people in at a time etc etc

Everyone should be expecting a further escalation of measures in Ireland over the next few days

This is only my opinion, I have no inside information or anything like that, just reading it as I see it

I hope I’m totally wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In effect we're in the middle of a massive, infection experiment. We have exercised a certain level, called social distancing. The impact, in about 10/11 days, along with the testing time lag, two weeks in total, will be watched carefully to see does it lower the infection rate enough.
    That at present is around 30%. Dr Tony Holohan today said he'd be quite pleased if that went down to 15%.

• Advertisement

There is nothing scare mongering about saying that Ireland will be going into lockdown, there is a very strong chance it will happen

If it does then it will mean that all non essential travel will not be allowed, if we follow those other countries then there will be fines handed out if your not out for essential reasons. Food shops and pharmacy will only allow a few people in at a time etc etc

Everyone should be expecting a further escalation of measures in Ireland over the next few days

This is only my opinion, I have no inside information or anything like that, just reading it as I see it

I hope I’m totally wrong
    The simple fact we are already in a lockdown. There was plenty of stupid things on social media lately which was pure scare mongering

The simple fact we are already in a lockdown. There was plenty of stupid things on social media lately which was pure scare mongering

This is about as much social media as I do

There was strong legislation passed over the last couple of days giving the government strong powers to keep people at home

They’ve done that for a reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

whelan2 wrote: »
    8 friesian bulls 40 euro. Glad they are gone

Sounds dear, I'm told that you'd be lucky to get €18 more like €1/head for fr bulls. What age were they? BTW I'm also selling :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭alps

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Sounds dear, I'm told that you'd be lucky to get €18 more like €1/head for fr bulls. What age were they? BTW I'm also selling :(

60 to 70 from shippers in your area this week..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,827 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Dakota Dan wrote: »

Youngest was 18 days upto 5 weeks. Dealer wasn't going this last couple of weeks. Have to be 50 kg. I am not going to go to the mart until covid thing is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

When you put calves up for sale on done deal with a reasonable price are they easy sold or do you get the world of time wasters offering half of what you asked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

mengele wrote: »
    When you put calves up for sale on done deal with a reasonable price are they easy sold or do you get the world of time wasters offering half of what you asked?

Its a while since I bough calves but in general I found sellers expect a premium price especially for Hereford or Continental calves. In general unless you are selling export type calves most lads buying in will be farmers over the next few weeks.

Looking at the Journal this week on page 57 there are six calves. There are two FR a flaking 5-6 week old calf made 50 euro and Ho calf 10 day younger made 90. Two SH about 6 weeks old( did not look well done made but could be in the mart a while one looks a good calf) made 50 each. A pair of AA calves made 165 4 weeks old while a HE calf 3 weeks old( looks a good calf made 60. Finally a BB bull a month old made 250.

If your prices are fair accross the board you will get a buyer. Looking at the calves above the WH, the 50 euro Fr were good value and maybe the SH's. The AA would want to be good calves but had age on there side like the SH's.

Generally on DD I find if you price righ you will sell> but most lads selling want top mart prices and in a down turn they want top prices that were there 6-8 weeks ago.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Trade in Abbeyfeale back a bit but good in the circumstances, less farmers buying and those that were wanted to get home quick. Proper social distancing enforced around the ring and most observing it around the mart with gloves on too.
    Any low quality Fr 10-30.
    Normal Fr 50-80
    Good Fr 100
    Ordinary beef calf 150 -200
    Good beef 200-270
    Top quality beef 300+

An extension of allowed driving time extended to 112 hours a fortnight from 90 so a bit of extra leeway in collection and delivery to keep goods, including calves, moving.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/department-relax-road-haulage-rules-535591
    Sold another 12 calves today 3to 4 weeks old for an average of €40. Didn't even pay for their milk but an extra 60l a day to sell I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭niallf

Hi,

Any idea what strong 8 week old british Friesian bulls would be making in the marts at the moment?

Thanks

Niall

niallf wrote: »
    Hi,

Any idea what strong 8 week old british Friesian bulls would be making in the marts at the moment?

Thanks

Niall

Interesting to see how marts went today without the sellers being present....

Would you not try DD at €160

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Calves in bandon tomorrow.

Drive up with your calves, conroy sticks his head in and looks at the calves offers u a price. Cork marts pay you.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Calves in bandon tomorrow.

Drive up with your calves, conroy sticks his head in and looks at the calves offers u a price. Cork marts pay you.

Time?

Will they go through mart cmms

alps wrote: »
    Time?

Will they go through mart cmms

You ring up and book a time, i should have been clearer its for export fr calves.

Ya id say ccm will do the paper work.

35 euro friesian bulls for the boat. That's the groceries paid for this week :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

35 euro friesian bulls for the boat. That's the groceries paid for this week :cool:

Actually theres more on offer for them and thats even in deeps of west cork where we get f all

Dont...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭visatorro

i have calves here but im resigned to the fact that ill probably be holding onto them. i donedeal is there but i couldnt really be arsed. iv had a steady stream of regular buyers here for the last couple of years. im glad i "gave away" calves before christmas at least!!

What are Angus bulls and heifers making?

What are Angus bulls and heifers making?

Saw 12 day old bulls in bandon 150. It was a rob. A good strong square bull 5 week old €240

Against that there was nice young heifers making €50 but that was the exception form a panic seller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I bought 6 dairy heifers, EBI's are between 220 to 230, just at 6 weeks old €350. I bought stock of the farmer last year also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Many thanks lads.

Calves are good money now. Chx and BBx males are up to €370 at 15days. Hol males €80+...

Bought female calves, beginning in June, from a 10k+ herd (not robot herd) for €130/hd. Herd average lactations is at 3.8.
    180 cow herd and owner retiring in two years. Children not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

120 days to sell calves without a test now

Gary kk wrote: »

Export is still 42 days though, if that report isn't an April fools joke.

Just sold a few 3-4 week old bulls for export, 40 euro. One left, just 42 days old so looks like he's going to be staying with me for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Gary kk wrote: »

The 40 days was tough, If you bought a calf to replace 1 lost & had to resell cos it didn’t work

Just sold a few 3-4 week old bulls for export, 40 euro. One left, just 42 days old so looks like he's going to be staying with me for a while.

Sold mine to go last week for 70.....didnt go...still have them.

They'll be overage for Saturday, so really thankful for this reprieve...

We'll probabkynrear now till weaned and sell in batches...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

As in they have to be under 42 days old to be allowed to be exported or just tb tested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Is the120 days thing true or April fools. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

On agriland

Is it just for certain farmers or for all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Checked article. Seems legit. Only for internal trade in the country so export would still have have to be sub 42 days I assume. Also anyone how has a delayed test due to covid19, I assume farmer would have to have it in that case, can trade for 28 days after the date. I asumme again only internally not for export

Timmaay wrote: »
    As in they have to be under 42 days old to be allowed to be exported or just tb tested?
    Mooooo wrote: »
    Checked article. Seems legit. Only for internal trade in the country so export would still have have to be sub 42 days I assume. Also anyone how has a dates test due to covid19, I assume farmer would have to have it in that case, can trade for 28 days after the date. I asumme again only internally not for export

Mooooo seems to have it there afaik.

I'm just a bit suspicious as it was announced last night so not sure if it's legit or not at this stage.

Mooooo seems to have it there afaik.

I'm just a bit suspicious as it was announced last night so not sure if it's legit or not at this stage.

Well it was dafm confirmed to ICMSA thus morning according to a text I got.

Some calf prices from around here.
    He bulls 180
    He heifers 150
    Aa heifers 120
    Fr bulls 20-70
    Average quality calves about 3 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Well it was dafm confirmed to ICMSA thus morning according to a text I got.

Upgrades for online registrations will be made Friday morning before 9am according to agfood

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Was looking at BB and CH heifer calves this evening on a neighbours dairy farm.

They’re 4 weeks old and fairly square stock. He’s well set up and they’re looking well - plenty straw under everything in the place, eating meal, picking away at hay.

I’m looking for 20-ish, in 2 batches - 10 now and another 10 in a fortnight’s time.

What kinda cash would you offer him?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Some calf prices from around here.
    He bulls 180
    He heifers 150
    Aa heifers 120
    Fr bulls 20-70
    Average quality calves about 3 weeks

Carnew was terrible today
    About a quarter those prices
    9 buyers offering sh1te prices
    Brought mine home
    Wont be back in a hurry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭visatorro

Mortelaro wrote:
    Carnew was terrible today About a quarter those prices 9 buyers offering sh1te prices Brought mine home Wont be back in a hurry

How did mart operate with new restrictions?

visatorro wrote: »
    How did mart operate with new restrictions?

Not very well obviously :D

• Advertisement

Was looking at BB and CH heifer calves this evening on a neighbours dairy farm.

They’re 4 weeks old and fairly square stock. He’s well set up and they’re looking well - plenty straw under everything in the place, eating meal, picking away at hay.

I’m looking for 20-ish, in 2 batches - 10 now and another 10 in a fortnight’s time.

What kinda cash would you offer him?

If their good calves, I think 200 would be fair on both parties, while you might pick them up here and the cheaper, he would have got 250-300 if it wasn't for the lockdown.

Advertisement