Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National championships 2019

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I've just seen the video of the police moto causing the pile up, very lucky that lads weren't badly busted up.

dahat wrote: »
    I've just seen the video of the police moto causing the pile up, very lucky that lads weren't badly busted up.

Link?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

US mens race currently being streamed on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHXJBnEcqGg

That was a cracking finish

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Link?

Instagram, Will Ryan, he was invovled.

Is he U23?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

CramCycle wrote: »
    Also surprised that no one tried to do a youtube channel for the Irish nationals, even a small number of adverts and static cameras at three or four points with links to lead car radios would have been awesome. I caught a few live feeds but all last minute I heard about them. Maybe because ES are showing next week.
    I'm sure eurosport covering it may have something to do with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

dahat wrote:
    Instagram, Will Ryan, he was invovled.

That was from the junior race on Saturday. Incident as well in the ladies race. Not a great weekend for safety considering we all consider races where PSNI are involved to be safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

That was from the junior race on Saturday. Incident as well in the ladies race. Not a great weekend for safety considering we all consider races where PSNI are involved to be safer.

+1 there was a crash at the bottom of fincairnberg after the restart as well in the mens race

lots of small and not so small incidents which took the shine off teh weekend for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Jesus, reports of a "road traffic collision" :eek:

https://twitter.com/PSNITraffic/status/1145285882620063744

PSNI motorbike took Ben Walsh out of it on Foyle Bridge. Lads in the cavalcade saw it and said it looked awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

See 25 listed finishers in mens elite with last of them only 7 mins down. Do the others drop out or are they pulled?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

See 25 listed finishers in mens elite with last of them only 7 mins down. Do the others drop out or are they pulled?

Think they can be pulled if there is a risk of lapping, though there's also a chance that some competitors who were were well out the back at the time of the incident and resultant pause may not have bothered resuming in this particular instance.

• Advertisement

cython wrote: »
    Think they can be pulled if there is a risk of lapping, though there's also a chance that some competitors who were were well out the back at the time of the incident and resultant pause may not have bothered resuming in this particular instance.

Not much risk at 7 mins, wonder were those out the back at the incident prevented from restarting. Would have thought that finishing the nationals is a big thing for many of the riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Not much risk at 7 mins, wonder were those out the back at the incident prevented from restarting. Would have thought that finishing the nationals is a big thing for many of the riders.

38 out of 128 starters are credited with a finish time in the Italian championship race yesterday. Last one home in just under 14min. Lots of big name DNF's, Nibali, Trentin, Vivani, etc ....http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/italian-road-championships-2019/road-race-men/results/

Fairly standard stuff when there is a circuit at the finish, same happens with the Worlds.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    PSNI motorbike took Ben Walsh out of it on Foyle Bridge. Lads in the cavalcade saw it and said it looked awful.

He was discharged from hospital that evening by 4, he's ok

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    38 out of 128 starters are credited with a finish time in the Italian championship race yesterday. Last one home in just under 14min. Lots of big name DNF's, Nibali, Trentin, Vivani, etc ....http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/italian-road-championships-2019/road-race-men/results/

Fairly standard stuff when there is a circuit at the finish, same happens with the Worlds.....

Understand bigger names pulling out if its not going well for them. But for many A1/A2 entrants, would have thought the main goal is to try and finish it. Suspect organizers are keen though to dismantle asap after the finish.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

With most people the goal is to do it and mix it up as long as you can with the big guns. It's a long race, 160km this year and it gets kind of boring once you're out the back. You're not really racing anymore, just riding around.

Most of the years I've gone to it, nobody in the club would finish. You hang in there as long as you can and then pull out and watch the rest.

With most people the goal is to do it and mix it up as long as you can with the big guns. It's a long race, 160km this year and it gets kind of boring once you're out the back. You're not really racing anymore, just riding around.

Most of the years I've gone to it, nobody in the club would finish. You hang in there as long as you can and then pull out and watch the rest.

That makes sense, I would probably pull out too and watch the finish. Though I know a local rider who was very happy to finish it in Wexford a few years ago.

Another question, was there much interest from locals this year or were the spectators mainly race crews and supporters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Junior

Understand bigger names pulling out if its not going well for them. But for many A1/A2 entrants, would have thought the main goal is to try and finish it. Suspect organizers are keen though to dismantle asap after the finish.

I think in the early laps the Comms were pulling anyone who was 5 minutes (ish) down. Just so it didn't get messy towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lewotsil

TGD wrote:
    Yes, he started with Kanturk for a few years

Cheers .....Thought he was carrick underage

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Lewotsil wrote: »
    Cheers .....Thought he was carrick underage

Might have been for some of u-16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Carrick Wheelers would not have had as organised a youth set up back when Sam was 12-16 so he did a lot of races in Kanturk colours. There are a rake of photos from the old irishcycling.com website

u-16_winner_sam_bennett.jpg

neil_o_callaghan__o_ceallaghan_s_bar__main_street_presents_the_winning_trophy_to_sam_bennett.jpg

zxu26s.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Sorry for my ignorance but for races like the nationals, who brings water to the competitors in the absence of teammates and support cars?

Is there neutral service if you puncture?

Afaik there's a neutral service.

Regarding water - the riders would have family/friends dotted around the course handing them bottles or whatever.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Also, most of the contenders would have a car. The lads coming over from the continent may not have one of their own team cars, but most of them would get a friend or family member to drive in the cavalcade for them with a spare bike and wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I thought Sam would do it ...he is in great form

Imagine there will be a day soon when Eddie will be riding for Yellow and Sam for Green at the Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Melodeon

1 hour highlight programme scheduled on Eurosport 1 next Tuesday (9th July) at 5.00pm, immediately after the TdF stage 4 coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

On now on Eurosport

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

neris wrote: »
    On now on Eurosport
    Was it good coverage?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Was it good coverage?

Yeah, great show. Worth watching - they packed a lot of the day into a relatively short programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Any idea where the 2020 event is being held?

Advertisement