Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

To the waters and the wild

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Everything at the moment is about building and improving form and fitness- a typical week has about 5 runs totalling perhaps three and a half hours. Of that total, maybe 1:50 is done at PE3/4, 45min at PE5/6, 45min at PE7/8, and only about 8mins at PE9/10. So the stress is limited (for now) as the body adapts to running faster (and running faster when slightly fatigued at the end of the session). I guess its a balancing act between intensity and breakdown. You'd get a lot out of a hard 20min run (but greater risk of injury), a little out of an easy 20min run (with lesser risk of injury), and by mixing the two a progressive run should give you good top-end PE benefit while minimising injury risk.

Another point is high-PE running form is easier to maintain during a progressive run with a fast section at the end. Krusty from the running forum told me once he always finishes his runs with a fast last km for this reason.

Thurs Nothing, I had a cold/chill coming on

Fri 15min yoga, 30min easy run; 45min weights

After a 10hour sleep I woke feeling better. The run was always going to be easy, but after the dust of snow we had overnight it had to be a hill run. Onto Hillbrook for an easy jog up the trails- this was magic stuff, just what the doctor ordered. The views were incredible, its really the best place to have on your doorstep. A simple trot to the top, all the time keeping the effort way down, and then the joy of a downhill- first downhill in a while, and I had to hold back from taking off. A great joy of a run, although looking at the watch afterwards my HR was higher than expected for the effort. Still have a bug or something so I'll keep the effort down over the next couple of days.

Sat 13k easy run

Very cold here this morning at Courtown, I sat in the heated car waiting for predawn and then set off. Seeing the first light come over the horizon is Zen, and a great start to the weekend. My route then took me inland around the frost covered fields of the hinterland, before finishing with a loop of the thawing forest. Everything was kept easy pace and manageable effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Sat 13k easy run

Very cold here this morning at Courtown, I sat in the heated car waiting for predawn and then set off. Seeing the first light come over the horizon is Zen, and a great start to the weekend. My route then took me inland around the frost covered fields of the hinterland, before finishing with a loop of the thawing forest. Everything was kept easy pace and manageable effort.

THE best feeling in the world isn't it? Especially when you're drinking it in outside the city. Sets you up for the day and the weekend :) Was out myself this morning and still buzzing from it :)

Sun Rest day

Mon 30min S&C, 20min run; 60min Masters swim

Run: 10min EZ, 10min build to 8/9PE
    I felt energised after a rest day, but the effort still seemed tougher than pace would suggest at the end. However, the HR wasn't too high, so I should be over my cold.

Swim:
    400m warmup
    8*75 as (25kIMO, 50drill, 10s)
    20*50 as (25IMO, 25swim BE3, 10s)
    250 hypoxic as (10*25 take 3,2,1,0,0,0,0,1,2,3 breaths each length)

First time back in a while, a little rusty but nothing too bad. The IMO strokes were better than usual- fly kick in particular is improving although my breast kick is diabolical. Good to be back swimming in company again.

• Advertisement

Tue 45min weights, 15min easy jog; 60min run

Run: 30 min EZ, 20mins 5/6PE, 10min 7/8PE

It was cold and wet out tonight, and staying at home was very tempting... however my sloth would have enforced sloth on the kids so out we went, dropped them at swimming and drove to my sidewalk. I didn’t check the watch for the first 30 mins and just ran at a “conversation” (which turned out to be quicker than planned). Picked it up for the next 20 mins, while holding good form, an essential of these progressive runs. The last 10mins pinched a tad, nothing too bad but just enough to let me know the first half of the run was too fast. Anyway, good session, another one in the bag and consistency maintained.

Wed 45min swim; 10min yoga, 40mins turbo

Swim:
    450 warmup
    5*100 off 1:45 (pb, pb, sw, pb, sw)
    1 min rest
    5*100 off 1:40 (pb, pb, sw, pb, sw)
    1 min rest
    5*100 off 1:35 (pb, pb, sw, pb, sw)
    1 min rest
    5*100 off 1:35 (pb, pb, sw, pb, sw)
    1 min rest
    50 swim down (had to dash)

These weren't great times, although form was better than usual. I was slower with the pb than straight swimming. Breathing wasn't too bad (trying to take on less air and BE3- think I'm gasping in too much air BE2 and not enough time to exhale). I was nowhere near hitting the last set off 1:30 so didn't bother. We've a 1,500mm TT tomorrow evening so I want to keep it at 1:35 pace with good form throughout.

Turbo:
    10min EZ
    4*(10sMAX, 2:20 EZ)
    5*(1min build to 9/10PE, 2min EZ)
    5min EZ

These were only a minute on, but boy do they hurt! I did the first couple a bit too hard too fast and it was tough to hold the power. The last three built better; a short sharp shock of a session.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Good luck with the 1k TT. Don't do what you do most weeks on the turbo and start too hard :P :D

Thurs 15min S&C, 15min jog; 15min yoga, Masters swim

Swim:
    400 wu
    9*50 (1-3 descending), 20s
    1500m TT 24:15
    100 easy
    250 hypoxic

I'm going to have to work on my breathing, thats the root of the problem.

Not too far off your target of 1:35 per 100. Nice going.

At least you know what to work on. That's a great starting point.

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    Not too far off your target of 1:35 per 100. Nice going.

At least you know what to work on. That's a great starting point.

If they gave out medals for "glass half full" you'd podium every time pgibbo! ;) Thanks for the note, but I'm pretty disappointed at being slower. Breathing letting me down again. At least Triathlon isn't a winter sport. Glass half full ;)

Fri 15min S&C, 30min easy run; 45mins weights

Today's another day in the program, lets tick it off and look forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    If they gave out medals for "glass half full" you'd podium every time pgibbo! ;) Thanks for the note, but I'm pretty disappointed at being slower. Breathing letting me down again. At least Triathlon isn't a winter sport. Glass half full ;)

It could have been your breathing...........or you could have been on a hiding to nothing before you started given your comments in your initial post and your speed in reaching for the PB. A 1500 TT is tough, and you have to be in the right frame of mind to take one on. Personally I never try a TT if I'm not feeling the love :D You're not going to PB every time you TT but I'd say you learned something from this experience. Just my 2c :p

Sat Nothing.

I had intended racing my nearest Parkrun, up early and into the car... the roads were sheets of black ice and the car was skidding all over the place so I slowly turned for home after about 200m. Just as well as the Parkrun was cancelled as the route was too icy! I couldn't get anything else done as the rest of the day was family stuff.

Sun 15.6k hill run; 1:55 turbo

There was a local hill run on in Ballycoog, it was a misty and wet morning but I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I fished out the closest shoes I had to trail shoes, and drove down to the start. A pretty good turnout given the weather, and there were some top hill runners present. It was obvious this would be more than a local hill run, and indeed as it turned out an awful lot of work had gone into designing the course.
    Right from the start I knew my footwear would slow me down, we ran up along a mucky field and I was slipping all over. Things got better as we entered some forest fire road, and I plodded along as we ran up. Breathing was quite heavy here, but the effort was solid rather than race pace. Some skidding across fields, an incredible forested arch, and we began the slow trudge upwards towards the summit of Croghan. Visibility was poor, and a cold wind pounded us from the side.
    The first signs of snow appeared, nothing too bad, but pockets that were a foot deep you had to plough through. I closed in on three runners, we said a brief "Hi!" and ran across open mountain... and soon realised there were no flags or tape evident. That brief meeting meant a lapse in concentration, we all for a moment dropped our gameface and obviously missed a turn. It was difficult to see anything with the mist, but soon figured out our error and were welcomed with the reassuring sight of red/white tape again. A climb along a fence brought us to the summit of Croghan- nothing to see here but the trig-point, as visibility was down to about 5 meters or so, despite the gale of a wind.
    I took off down the fence, enjoying running through snow, and soon entered a forest again. From here things got really interesting as the route meandered along a narrow path, up over ditches, through fields, along gullies, before descending across open field that I would have love to let loose on (in the proper footwear!). As it was I had to keep from slipping, but really enjoying the descent. A stile crossing brought us along a steep tree path, at the top of a slop that fell down to the river below. You had to be very careful here, the camber was angled and the route muddy- any slip would have brought a fall down to the river, so caution was merited. I take my hat of to the course designer, and the organisers, for allowing such a thrilling route!
    Some more fields were crossed, observed by curious sheep, and we had to clamber down a steep ravine- "Go down Backwards" said the sign! Naturally I ignored this suggestion, and just as naturally I slipped going down the muddy track, falling with my back onto a felled tree trunk. The resulting crunching noises were worth a fortune in chiropractor visits! No bones broken, a little shaken but I made my way a little more carefully down to the river crossing. It was a mud fest getting back up the equally steep other bank, before ploughing and slopping through the final few fields to the finish. Really glad I did this run, it was a joy to run that course, and great to meet up with some of the hill runner gang over soup and sambos after. :D

Turbo:
    10min EZ
    4*(10s MAX, 2:20 EZ)
    6*(10min build 3-6PE, 5min EZ)
    5min EZ

Despite the fatigue in the legs I had a scheduled turbo to do, so spent hopped on and watched the first 1:55 mins of Barry Lyndon, a film that gets better each time you watch it.
    The efforts weren't as high as usual as I kept things to the minimum expected, but glad I did it as its all too easy to drop and skip sessions this time of year.

How are you after the fall now?

pgibbo wrote: »
    How are you after the fall now?

I've got a lovely set of bruises right across my middle back, but besides that no bones broken. In fact, the whole back/neck seems a lot more flexible!

Can't say the rest of the body is flexible at the moment though! Tight legs which is to be expected after a hill run. It really was a great course though- end the week on a high to make up for the disappointing swim TT :)

Mon 15min S&C, 15min easy jog

My legs were tight on the jog, but felt better afterwards. Our Masters sessions have finished as the pool is closed early for Xmas season- my Fastlane has been too cold this icy spell but warming up now.

Tue 30min Fastlane; 45min weights, 15min jog; 30min Fastlane

The pool heater works great if the air temp is above 5 degrees or so, and was good and warm this morning. The swim was a tonic. Weights at lunch, followed by a very stiff jog. I woke up last night with DOMS pain, had to take a nuerofen, its much worse on day 2! Same issues from others who ran it, I found out later... you have to be running hills regular to escape hill running soreness! No hassle, but I will skip tonights planned run and rest the legs.

Edit- Got a second swim in the evening, alternating back and free. I used a nose clip for the first time and focused on continuous exhale, seemed to make a difference.

Wed 10min yoga, 40min turbo

10min EZ
    5*(30s build to 9/10PE, 2:30 EZ)
    5 EZ

I have the start of a cold, added with the DOMS, added with the miserable dark time of year, meant this turbo effort was dialled back. At least it got done (NY resolution is to become a glass half full type person).

Thurs 20min S&C, 30min easy run

I was wheezy for this run, so kept the pace down. Also skipped the planned Fastlane session as I didn't want to exacerbate the lungs.

Feckin' wintertime, I'll have to consider wintering in warmer climates (chance would be a fine thing!). I can trace this back to a tough pool session in Arklow a couple of weeks back, and the hill run at the weekend was too much work for the lungs. Dug out a couple of old inhalers and started using them again.

Fri 10min S&C, 40min turbo

10min EZ
    5*(2min build to 6PE, 1min EZ)
    5min EZ

Felt a bit better today, the inhalers are helping, but again kept the effort down way below panting effort. I had been ready to ditch sessions for a few days but glad I got this one done now.

Sat 55min hilly run; 45min weights

Took a couple of blasts from the inhaler and set out, the first couple of km were flat and probably a bit faster than the "easy" I'd planned. To be honest I'm trying to convince myself there's not a problem, but as the route started upwards I was struggling. Not getting enough oxygen from restricted airways, and that leads to the body tightening up with subsequent issues. I slowed along the top road which was flat enough, and things got easier. No doubt, I just will have to keep breathing under control until this passes. Any increase in effort places exponential stress on the lungs.

Boohoo, woe is me... but sitting at home doing nothing is worse so at least its another run ticked off. I'll be glad of the consistency when my breathing is better.

Sun 30min Fastlane; 10min S&C, 1:55 turbo, 5min S&C

30 mins Fastlane, various speeds. Just testing the breathing really (snorkle)

Turbo:
    10min steady
    6*(10min build 3-8PE, 5min EZ)
    5min EZ

The breathing is starting to open up a bit, hopefully daily use of the inhaler when it doesn't appear needed will help things. The efforts were building towards a tasty last two mins, a good session to have ticked off. I felt a million times better having done this turbo, need to keep consistent over Xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I'm the same with my inhaler Kurt, I reckon it's the times we don't think we shud be taking it that's most important, too late when your starting to feel like you need it. I've tried my best not to take it daily but I think I might just have to accept it and start. Just feel a lot better overall when I do.

Have a great Christmas, don't spend too long in the pool!

Mon 15mins S&C, 6.2k hilly run

I drove to the flanks of Annagh Hill on a very wet Xmas morning. The flat fireroad was covered in puddles, but nothing like the water cascading down the narrow paths as you ascended into the dank mist. It was very slow going in places, no matter as this run was just about getting out on the morning thats in it. Some scouting of potential paths for the Annagh race in March, which will need to have a suitably fluid route owing to extensive felling in the area. After 20 mins or so I turned for home and enjoyed running down the fireroads, splashing through puddles like a kid. I dialled up the effort a tad towards the end and was glad to return to the car.

Happy Xmas!

Tue 15min S&C, 30min Fastlane

This was done after a long day travelling, but I felt much the better for having done it. Various free pacing, with some bursts. Focus on extension and a strong slightly faster pull which seemed to pay dividends.

Owing to the days journey (and familial obligations!) I couldn't get out on a planned run, but given the time of year one session is better than none!

Wed 10min S&C, 40min turbo; 15min S&C, 43min hilly run

Turbo:
    10min EZ
    5*(2min build to steady 6PE, 1min EZ)
    5min EZ

Felt good on the turbo, decent cadence and the effort was a nice sustainable effort.

Run: 30min EZ, 15min steady to strong
    It was a magical evening down here, and so I got in yesterday's missed run (that's not ideal, but no harm was done either). Parked at Annagh and ran down the Monaseed Walk, and then along the trails towards Croghan (which was magnificent, bathed in a dusk-red luminescence). From here I ascended and gathered in clear views of the wide surrounds. Upped the effort gradually on the return into the setting sun, and took the HR upwards for the final ascent back to the car. A really great run in a magical place.

Thurs 15min S&C, 60min hilly run, 30min Fastlane

Run: 30min EZ, 15mins a touch faster, 15min PE8

Another day another Annagh run. I'm spoiled at the moment, out of routine so lots of time to run on the trails (rather than suburbia runs squeezed in between kids swimming hours). With plenty of frost visible on the top, I trudged up along the stone wall climb. There's a very faint track here, but almost impossible to run owing to the elevation. Large clomping footsteps were the order of the day as I walked towards the summit. A few trees to be negotiated through, but the top was found easy enough, as were views of the Welsh hills across the sea. Running could begin again now, but progress was impeded by the many pools of frozen water along the summit track. I had been considering what footwear to wear- ice skates would have sufficed here! Progress would be better on the other side of the stone wall so I hopped over and ran through the frozen grass.
    Back onto rough track for a downhill, holding down the pace for fear of slipping in my road shoes, and after running the crest of the hill I hit west-side trails again. From here I could increase the effort a bit without fear of stumbling or disappearing down icy bog-holes, and continued in this fashion back to the car.

The Fastlane straight after was more recovery than anything else, but always great stroke feedback.

Fri 10min yoga, 1:55 turbo

10min EZ
    6*(10min build 3-8PE, 5min EZ)
    5min EZ

A fun day, we went to Courtown beach for the young lad to try out his new surfboard- he was in for 10mins with a wetsuit, made me feel guilty for not going in! The transition of power continues... Back home I jumped on the turbo, Missy jumped in the Fastlane, and we each slogged away in relative warmth. Nothing special about this turbo, just hitting what needed to be hit.

Sat 10k run (including Tullow Parkrun in 20:09)

2k easy warmup
    Some elements of run yoga, hip flexor stretches etc
    1km progressive with few strides in second half
    5k park run
    2km easy, with stretches every 500m as cool down

I needed a 5k baseline and with the kids not at swimming, drove to the local Tullow Parkrun. Running a lap as warm up the rain from last night was evident- nothing too bad, but it made for heavy going in a few places, and cornering would be slippy in areas. After some stretches and strides, we lined up at the start. I was nervous and felt sick, a reaction to not having raced in a while.

The gun goes and we are off, two lads took off at a fast pace and were gone. Two others ran past me, both with gaits that suggested I would reel them in at some stage. I was running at a decent effort and took back two spots over the first couple of km (3:59, 3:52). Things started to feel tougher now, in no mans land running on my own. I was breathing quite heavy, the legs feeling the pace, and ducked down the next couple of km (4:12, 4:10). Audibly gasping at this stage and with heavy footfall I knew the sub-20 had gone and finished the last km (3:55) as best I could, happy to finish.

Probably learned as much mentally from this race as physically. I threw away my hoped for sub-20 goal by slowing on the second lap- thats a reaction to pain demons that should disappear as I do more racing and get used to suffering again. Ditto any pre-race nerves and nausea. I weighed myself when back home- a whopping 90.6kg which is a fair amount of excess Xmas lard to lug around, and so faster times should come automatically from weight loss.

Sun Rest

Mon 30min Fastlane; 3k run

I only had a tight window to do a couple of things today, so after a good Fastlane loosener I went to the local GOAL mile in Tinahely. A huge bunch of kids eager to sprint off, not really many adult runners so I ran off behind the kids for a while before they slowed the pace. After a km there was a bit of a hill, I ran up it and stopped to let the first kids run down the hill to take the podium. A little girl about 11 years old bursting herself to reach the top of the hill, her face lit up when she saw she would come in first, well done her.

A bit of fun for the first day in 2018, no harm in that, now the real work begins. Triathlons planned will likely take in as many sea races as possible, with an intent to take the caravan along the West/South coast as often as I can (Junior wants to surf).

Tue 15min yoga, 30min Fastlane; 15min yoga, 60min run

Its a pretty wet and wild day here, perfect weather for hitting the hills in my new Inov8 X-Talons. I drove to Annagh and ran up the sodden flank of Cummerhill, it was very muddy but the shoes had brilliant grip. Took it handy enough while scouting out some new routes, the possibilities are endless on this ever-changing hill. After nearly 40 mins of up/down I settled back down on flatter trail to run the meat of the session, 15min steady to strong effort. I was hurting and glad of the end, but had been travelling at a faster pace than anticipated. Hard to judge pace on the hills, but the recent Parkrun has helped remind the legs what running faster is. An easy warm-down (actually cold and upwards) back to the car to make up another fun hour in the hills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Nice one. The X-talons are the bees knees. My footwear of choice at the moment given the mucky conditions.

Advertisement