Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegians and their accents

Options
  • 06-07-2015 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with Norwegians adopting the accent of where ever they travel to? I met one last week who spent 4 years in Sligo studying industrial design and he had a ticker Irish accent than i did !! :eek::eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

i find its the same with the Danes, i can tell where they have been studying/working abroad eg. USA,UK australia accents.

having said that i don't know if the Danes think i speak danish with a thick dublin accent or a bad Østjylland one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

I think it has to do with the fact that we don't have an English accent of our own, we tend to imitate. I spend every single day with my Midlands special someone, so there's no wonder I sound like that too (despite being Scandinavian) ;)

Though I reckon if I hung out with Dublin friends for a longer space of time, I'd adapt to that instead - mainly because I don't have an accent of my own :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Though I reckon if I hung out with Dublin friends for a longer space of time, I'd adapt to that instead - mainly because I don't have an accent of my own :)
    They speak English in Dublin? :)

Advertisement