Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion switch question - why L-Out to COM ?

Options
  • 28-02-2021 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I had to put in a new immersion switch as my old one seems to have burned out (switch is physically stuck)

Anyhow the old switch was very straightforward but in the newer one I have to Connect L(Out) to COM and then take the bath and sink out the L1 and L2 connections

What's the purpose of having to join L(out ) to COM ? The old switch just "assumed" this and you didn't need this extra wire.

I understand why I have to join them in order for the switch to work, but my question is why bother with this extra wire when it could have just been built into the switch ?

Here's the Old Switch:
    5EaRRwjb.jpg

and here's the new one:
    Um3rIvkb.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

This came up on another thread. There are two reasons I can think of right now.

Live out can go to a timer before it goes back to common. That way you have isolation of the timer and isolation of the immersion. Other configurations cannot isolate the timer.

Live out can go straight to an immersion, useful when you only have one element, the bath sink switch then is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Ahhhh......Makes sense - thanks !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Detour.

alan4cult wrote: »
    This came up on another thread. There are two reasons I can think of right now.

Live out can go to a timer before it goes back to common. That way you have isolation of the timer and isolation of the immersion. Other configurations cannot isolate the timer.

Live out can go straight to an immersion, useful when you only have one element, the bath sink switch then is irrelevant.

Those are not relevant or valid reasons at all

Isolating timers ? and single immersion heaters

Detour. wrote: »
    Those are not relevant or valid reasons at all

Isolating timers ? and single immersion heaters
    Single immersion heater has one element not two and therefore does not require the bath sink switch.

How would you isolate an immersion timer without access to common terminal?

Single immersion heater has one element not two and therefore does not require the bath sink switch.

How would you isolate an immersion timer without access to common terminal?

How do you isolate a light switch, how do you isolate a 13amp double socket ?

Bath/Sink is irrelevant it's not the appropriate switch for a single immersion heater

Not having a go, just correcting the record for accuracy.

• Advertisement

Detour. wrote: »
    How do you isolate a light switch, how do you isolate a 13amp double socket ?

Bath/Sink is irrelevant it's not the appropriate switch for a single immersion heater

Not having a go, just correcting the record for accuracy.
    So what is the common terminal for in this scenario?
    I have always wired the timer downstream of live out but maybe I need to check regs on this one.

So what is the common terminal for in this scenario?
    I have always wired the timer downstream of live out but maybe I need to check regs on this one.

You shouldn't , you're breaking the supply to the clock doing that

The dual -immersionn switch is for control and isolation of the heater

Advertisement