Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pumps with UFH downstairs and Radiators Upstairs??

Options
  • 27-02-2021 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am just at the planning stages of a new build house which will be approx. 240m2 (130m2 downstairs and 110m2 upstairs)

I would like to go for an air to water heat pump with UFH, however, this would require for concrete floors upstairs. I am not sure if my budget will stretch to cover the concrete upstairs (as from what i am aware there is a substantial cost difference) so am looking at the alternative options of the Joist upstairs floor with radiators.

Does anyone have any information on this - is it still a good option and will it be sufficient??

Also, has anyone also installed solar panels for heating water during the summer for example to give the option of switching off the heat pump if not needed during warm weather?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You're in the wrong forum.
    I'll move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

https://suntask.ie/Aluminium_Spreader_Plate_1000mm_x_390mm.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAm-2BBhANEiwAe7eyFK7UoUmKnVh4pLDkULSgBvERR8tRtGpmWrlJ1lsb7SXXblXvM7LlpBoCUMkQAvD_BwE

you could talk to your engineer about aluminum spreader plates for use with underfloor with joists similar to above

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Hi All,

I would like to go for an air to water heat pump with UFH, however, this would require for concrete floors upstairs. I am not sure if my budget will stretch to cover the concrete upstairs (as from what i am aware there is a substantial cost difference) so am looking at the alternative options of the Joist upstairs floor with radiators.
    We built a similarly sized house ten years ago. UFH throughout (concrete upstairs) with A2W heat pump outside. Upstairs heating was a colossal waste of money, it's barely ran in all that time. On the other hand the concrete slab means there's very little noise transfer in the house, which is great. Just put in the cheapest heat system you can live with.

Also, has anyone also installed solar panels for heating water during the summer for example to give the option of switching off the heat pump if not needed during warm weather?

Thanks
    Similarly we've solar thermal outside. I turn the heat pump totally off from late April to September most years, and the panels give us enough hot water, with a daily 30min boost from the immersion to ensure there will be enough for showers in the morning

Advertisement