Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ideas on removing the shine from black shiny tiles?

Options
  • 27-02-2021 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

I have large black and shiny tiles in the fireplace with a wood burner in front of it.
    Basically the black tiles fill up the opening space of the fireplace.
    Very much like this, except my wood burner is a self contained unit that sits out from the wall.
    https://blog.gr8fires.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Woodburner-Surrounds-Paros.jpg

Anyway, i'm wondering are there things i can do to remove or significantly reduce the shine of the tiles, that must be in a fire safe way.
    For example i don't think i could use a matt varnish or matt coating as it's probably not fire safe.

Maybe, buff it with emery paper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭pocketse

BluePlanet wrote: »
    I have large black and shiny tiles in the fireplace with a wood burner in front of it.
    Basically the black tiles fill up the opening space of the fireplace.
    Very much like this, except my wood burner is a self contained unit that sits out from the wall.
    https://blog.gr8fires.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Woodburner-Surrounds-Paros.jpg

Anyway, i'm wondering are there things i can do to remove or significantly reduce the shine of the tiles, that must be in a fire safe way.
    For example i don't think i could use a matt varnish or matt coating as it's probably not fire safe.

Maybe, buff it with emery paper?

You can get tile paint. I painted tiles around fireplace. Came out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Rustins make High Heat Black Paint which is matt. I've used it and it turns out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FionMc

Not sure if paint on floor will be durable. Have you looked into strippers? Wont be flammable once washed away

Advertisement