Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glue removal

Options
  • 18-02-2021 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

Any one got any tips for glue removal from hard to sand joints?

Got caught out before where I varnished an item thinking I'd removed all glue, but of course as soon as the varnish hits it it sticks out like a sore thumb

I have a large table centrepiece I've made and have sanded as much as i can and want to be sure I have all glue removed
    I've read about using acetone and the like, but have no experience of this
    Can anyone advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

boomdocker wrote: »
    Any one got any tips for glue removal from hard to sand joints?

Got caught out before where I varnished an item thinking I'd removed all glue, but of course as soon as the varnish hits it it sticks out like a sore thumb

I have a large table centrepiece I've made and have sanded as much as i can and want to be sure I have all glue removed
    I've read about using acetone and the like, but have no experience of this
    Can anyone advise?

The bane of all woodworkers unfortunately.I presume you are talking about standard PVA glue ? There is no single solvent available for PVA as far as I know.
    If you wet the piece the glue ooze out will be lighter in appearance and you can sand it away. For corner joints I find scraping with a sharp chisel in the grain direction works.
    For stubborn stains its worth using a heat gun ( gently ) to soften the glue.
    Of course we should all apply blue tape on the joints before glueing up but that's a bit fiddly. I just wait an hour for the squeeze out to turn 'rubbery' and remove it with a chisel.
    Titebond has a glue that will fluoresce under UV light but I can't see it for sale outside of the US.

Advertisement