Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen appliances for new house

Options
  • 14-03-2020 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi all,

We are currently in the process of purchasing a new build but have to fit out the kitchen ourselves and need to start narrowing down our options on kitchen appliances.

What sort of brands are people going for these days?

We need the following items

Integrated Fridge/freezer -- Indesit 70/30?
    Integrated single oven -- Electrolux?
    Integrated dishwasher -- Candy?
    induction Hob -- Zanussi?
    Hood -- Matrix 60cm ss glass hood
    Washer -- Samsung
    Dryer -- Zanussi?

Any help or comments on above would be great appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 here4help

Hi Lenny4545,

New to boards (believe it or not) for the same kind of questions as we're in the same boat - new house and far too many choices!!

Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but have done a good bit of research and we have gone for the below;

Fridge/Freezer - Samsung 70/30
    Single Oven - Electrolux
    Combi Oven/Microwave - Electrolux
    Dishwaher - Neff
    Washer & Dryer - Bosch Series 6

We didn't have the space so we've gone with an integrated hob/extractor but I was looking in IKEA before we decided this and they seem to be highly regarded. The brother has one from IKEA a few years now and has never had an issue with it. I think they are Whirlpool but not 100% sure. Probably overlooked too often as not an immediate household name for appliances and possibly more competitively priced than some of the "bigger" brands.

Overthinking these can nearly be as bad - a lot of them are owned by the same parent companies and you end up just paying for the brand names, (Bosch, Siemens, Neff and Gaggenau are all the same company). Hotpoint and Zanussi are one and the same I think, similar with AEG and Electrolux.

Think you have them all sorted though but I wouldn't be too sure on the dishwasher, personal opinion though.

I'd do some real research around the extractor fan, not the handiest thing to change once the kitchen goes in and you are stuck to that size given it is between presses or units. I found the below online so could be useful;

"1. Measure your kitchen's length, width & height.
    2. Multiply length x width x height = cubic capacity.
    3. Multiply the cubic capacity x 6 = minimum extraction rate (6 changes of air per hour for light cooking, e.g. simmering).
    4. Multiply the cubic capacity x 12 = maximum extraction rate (12 changes of air per hour for frying with oil).

A rate between 8 and 12 is recommended.

Hoods range between 40 and 70 dB. For reference, a whisper is approximately 40 dB and a normal conversation measures in between 60 and 70 dB."

You don't want to end up with an overly loud unit that doesn't extract when you need it.

Hopefully this might have been some help to you and all the best in these very strange times

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

We went for these:

Induction Hob - Electrolux
    Oven - Electrolux
    Washing machine - Bosch
    Condenser tumble dryer - Bosch
    Dishwasher - Bosch
    Fridge freezer - Electrolux
    Cordless vacuum cleaner - Miele
    Microwave - Sharp

Kinda went a bit over budget so fingers crossed they last long enough :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭caoimhe_kelly

lenny4545 wrote: »
    Hi all,

We are currently in the process of purchasing a new build but have to fit out the kitchen ourselves and need to start narrowing down our options on kitchen appliances.

What sort of brands are people going for these days?

We need the following items

Integrated Fridge/freezer -- Indesit 70/30?
    Integrated single oven -- Electrolux?
    Integrated dishwasher -- Candy?
    induction Hob -- Zanussi?
    Hood -- Matrix 60cm ss glass hood
    Washer -- Samsung
    Dryer -- Zanussi?

Any help or comments on above would be great appreciated
    here4help wrote: »
    Hi Lenny4545,

New to boards (believe it or not) for the same kind of questions as we're in the same boat - new house and far too many choices!!

Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but have done a good bit of research and we have gone for the below;

Fridge/Freezer - Samsung 70/30
    Single Oven - Electrolux
    Combi Oven/Microwave - Electrolux
    Dishwaher - Neff
    Washer & Dryer - Bosch Series 6

We didn't have the space so we've gone with an integrated hob/extractor but I was looking in IKEA before we decided this and they seem to be highly regarded. The brother has one from IKEA a few years now and has never had an issue with it. I think they are Whirlpool but not 100% sure. Probably overlooked too often as not an immediate household name for appliances and possibly more competitively priced than some of the "bigger" brands.

Overthinking these can nearly be as bad - a lot of them are owned by the same parent companies and you end up just paying for the brand names, (Bosch, Siemens, Neff and Gaggenau are all the same company). Hotpoint and Zanussi are one and the same I think, similar with AEG and Electrolux.

Think you have them all sorted though but I wouldn't be too sure on the dishwasher, personal opinion though.

I'd do some real research around the extractor fan, not the handiest thing to change once the kitchen goes in and you are stuck to that size given it is between presses or units. I found the below online so could be useful;

"1. Measure your kitchen's length, width & height.
    2. Multiply length x width x height = cubic capacity.
    3. Multiply the cubic capacity x 6 = minimum extraction rate (6 changes of air per hour for light cooking, e.g. simmering).
    4. Multiply the cubic capacity x 12 = maximum extraction rate (12 changes of air per hour for frying with oil).

A rate between 8 and 12 is recommended.

Hoods range between 40 and 70 dB. For reference, a whisper is approximately 40 dB and a normal conversation measures in between 60 and 70 dB."

You don't want to end up with an overly loud unit that doesn't extract when you need it.

Hopefully this might have been some help to you and all the best in these very strange times
    We went for these:

Induction Hob - Electrolux
    Oven - Electrolux
    Washing machine - Bosch
    Condenser tumble dryer - Bosch
    Dishwasher - Bosch
    Fridge freezer - Electrolux
    Cordless vacuum cleaner - Miele
    Microwave - Sharp

Kinda went a bit over budget so fingers crossed they last long enough :pac:

Hi Folks,

I am in the same boat as ye were over a year ago. Just wondering were ye happy / unhappy with any of the appliances ye bought? With so much out there and such cost differences i'm finding it hard to chose what to go for

Thank you all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

So we bought 2 years ago & I did a ton of research on brands, models etc using Which? and a few other sites.

Induction Hob - Bosch
    Oven - Neff (I really wanted the sliding door)
    Washing machine - Bosch
    Dishwasher - Electrolux (but on reflection I would change the one we got as we compromised to get everything from the one place & it's just not right)
    Fridge - Electrolux: we got a full size fridge & separate freezer (Beko)

We already had a Hotpoint dryer which they ended up replacing for us as it was one of the ones that was potentially a fire risk.

Advertisement