Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something in my Garden

Options
1313233343537»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Grats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Grats

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

got to about 99% with the wall building today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we don't have a general chat thread in the gardening forum, so i'm posting this here; has anyone ever seen this before?

we have some allium bulbs (i can't remember the variety) in a pot, and at least one of them has gone screwy - where it should be growing flowers, it's growing miniature bulbs, which are themselves growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭macraignil

I've seen something similar happen with leeks I have growing in a spot in the garden for a few years and they are part of the allium family as well. I know leeks are normally an annual crop but a few years back I had a recently planted tree get the roots lifted on one side by storm winds and the only thing I had handy to cover the roots to protect the tree was a windowbox of young leek plants. The leeks have continued to grow at the base of the tree since then and the tree has survived and when conditions are right the old flower heads start growing into little bulbs of new plants that I have harvested at times to get new leek plants. Something similar happens with garlic which is another allium but I think it is normally recommended to take these mini bulbs off the head of the plant so it puts more energy into making the bigger garlic bulb we are used to seeing in the shops.

Happy gardening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Hi All

We're hoping to start a new build later this year and I'm just looking into what bare root heding I can plant - will probably just go for a native mix but for ~120m of hedging, how many plants would I need?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Here is a pretty good guide https://futureforests.ie/blogs/news/planting-and-growing-mixed-hedges-mattie-keane

Its not easy to give a definitive answer as it depends on what you are planting and the end result you are looking for. Simple answer to your question would be around 300-400 plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Nice job! What kind of stone is that? My local businesses don’t seem to sell it like that but I’m not sure what to ask for.

Silver quartz I think? We got it from mcmonagle stone near Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭blackbox

i've just cleared out the last of the mouldy tomato plants from my greenhouse. Got a great crop this year.

I washed the glass and sprayed Jeyes fluid on the floor.

I then moved my small lemon tree and banana in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I transplanted some young aquilegia plants that I seeded 2 years ago from their nursery beds to their final positions today. Such a lovely feeling growing from seed! All set for their spring display to accompany my bulbs. Also came across a few packets of ‘forget me nots’ that I ironically forgot to set last year to come out with the tulips. I seem to have missed the boat for sowing them, but I’m going to throw them in the ground anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Stars this year for me are still old fashioned marigolds aka calendula and nasturtium. I have very little space and these are a bright display as you approach the gate.. Today I freed them from a few encroaching unwelcome creepers..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Was out in the garden cutting the hedges

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭blackbox

First Bumblebee

I saw my first bumblebee of the year today. It was buzzing around my rosemary and feeding from its flowers.

Wicklow.

I saw a bumblebee floating in my water-butt day before yesterday, quite still and dead looking, so I gave it a sympathetic thought and ignored it. Daughter went out yesterday, 24 hours later, saw the bee and scooped it out, and it gave itself a shake and after a while, flew off! Aquatic bumblebee! I will pay more attention next time, though in fairness a bumblebee in a water-butt is not something you see everyday.

the frogs started the frog chorus in our garden last night.

I am hoping to put a wildlife pond into my garden later in the year (other jobs allowing 😀), but we are in a somewhat elevated situation and the nearest water source (river) is just over a kilometre away in the valley. Is there any chance of frogs finding their way to water over that distance does anyone know? Otherwise I will have to find a source of tadpoles, but Ireland has some odd notions about the best way of encouraging frogs - you can't collect spawn. Presumably if I could get some from a private pond I would be ok.

i've heard stories of frogs turning up in the strangest places, and it's worth it even if you don't get amphibians.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

😀 Thank you for that wisdom New Home! I'm not really too worried about it as a. the pond is still a patch in the grass and b. if they don't come independently I might be inclined to use some gentle persuasion! It would be interesting to give it a season or two though and see what does turn up. There are dragonflies at the river, I would love to see a few of them migrate to me, its a bit of an uphill hike though 😀. Oh! they have wings, yes well, I suppose that would help!

Post edited by looksee on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

We installed ours during lockdown. No frogs last year but plenty of insect life and dragon flies, fingers crossed for this year!

Advertisement