Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HKC Panel Battery Fault

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bunglemark2

Beeping stops. Get a DMC FTC error. 30 mins later it beeps again. Then I do the same thing.

Panel Batt Flt message. Prob needs a service which I've booked but have to stop this going off all night. Keeping kids awake 😢

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The battery may be bringing the power down.
    Disconnect the battery and clear the message again.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bunglemark2

KoolKid wrote: »
    The battery may be bringing the power down.
    Disconnect the battery and clear the message again.
    Do I need to knock off the mains switch at the fuseboard to the whole house, open the alarm panel, disconnect the battery and away we go? Not 100% sure what I'm at here. Want to be sure its the battery in the nation alarm box or is there one in the alarm panel itself?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The battery is in the main control panel not the keypad. Turn off the mains if you are unsure. If you are not comfortable doing any of this you would be better getting a professional in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sgcookie

Hi, we have one of these alarms and it keeps going off when we're out and randomly when we're at home. We don't set it because of this problem and it still goes off. The power light is on and fault light on permanently on control pad. It drives the neighbours mad. Any advice?Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭altor

sgcookie wrote: »
    Hi, we have one of these alarms and it keeps going off when we're out and randomly when we're at home. We don't set it because of this problem and it still goes off. The power light is on and fault light on permanently on control pad. It drives the neighbours mad. Any advice?Thanks

When you enter your user code does the keypad display what the fault is?

You more than likely have a faulty or faulty devices on the system, only testing with a multimeter will find these devices.

If the fault light is on what fault is it showing on the keypad?
    It sounds like you have a couple of issues. The fault may indicate a low battery or some other permanent fault. What's displayed after you turn it off after will tell you what the other problem is. Possibly a tamper or panic alarm activation.

altor wrote: »
    When you enter your user code does the keypad display what the fault is?

You more than likely have a faulty or faulty devices on the system, only testing with a multimeter will find these devices.

It's saying battery fault then factory link off.

If the fault light is on what fault is it showing on the keypad?
    It sounds like you have a couple of issues. The fault may indicate a low battery or some other permanent fault. What's displayed after you turn it off after will tell you what the other problem is. Possibly a tamper or panic alarm activation.
    How do I turn it off? Sorry I'm not sure if it can be turned off in mains box or the keypad.
    It's saying battery fault then factory link off.

• Advertisement

The factory link is in the center of the board.
    When this is removed and down powered your system if not engineer locked will default to factory defaults.
    If you dont have the link then a piece of cable wrapped around it will stop this happening.
    The back up battery is located in the control panel, not the keypad.
    Its a 7 Amp Battery.

The factory link is in the center of the board.
    When this is removed and down powered your system if not engineer locked will default to factory defaults.
    If you dont have the link then a piece of cable wrapped around it will stop this happening.
    The back up battery is located in the control panel, not the keypad.
    Its a 7 Amp Battery.

Where is the board and control panel located in a house.

My husband is no good with these things so it's left to me. . All else fails I'll have to get someone out to look at it i would rather not as its costly and if we can do it ourselves would be great.

Possible locations:

Hot Press
    Utility
    Beside Fuse Board
    Under Stairs
    Attic (Last Resort)

It's in our hot press full with sticker saying hkc, will need to be disconnected before going near. I'll get an electrician to look at it thanks for all the help.

Where is the board and control panel located in a house.

My husband is no good with these things so it's left to me. . All else fails I'll have to get someone out to look at it i would rather not as its costly and if we can do it ourselves would be great.

I would recommend turning off the mains before opening this control panel to change the battery. You will be asked on the keypad to default if not engineer locked. Simply press quit for to skip this or else wrap a piece of cable around the factory link before powering back up on battery or mains.

If your employing someone to do this work for you they must be PSA licenced.

• Advertisement

It's in our hot press full with sticker saying hkc, will need to be disconnected before going near. I'll get an electrician to look at it thanks for all the help.

Very simple to do yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭Pat182

Hey guys. any idea how much a battery is for a motion sensor? HKC ones

Pat182 wrote: »
    Hey guys. any idea how much a battery is for a motion sensor? HKC ones

The wire free sensors use a CR123A battery, easily available in chemists.
    To replace, open the sensor, when replacing make sure you reconnect new battery the same way as the old one was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

The wire free sensors use a CR123A battery, easily available in chemists.
    To replace, open the sensor, when replacing make sure you reconnect new battery the same way as the old one was.

Make sure it is a reputable brand, the cheap ones have been known to go on fire.

The one I seen that went on fire did have a brand on it. :)

But stick with the main battery brands and you should be fine.

• Advertisement

The one I seen that went on fire did have a brand on it. :)

But stick with the main battery brands and you should be fine.

;) I know, i meant reputable battery manufacturers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭Pat182

Thanks guys

kub wrote: »
    Make sure it is a reputable brand, the cheap ones have been known to go on fire.

Id agree with that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Muttonh

I'm having a similar issue if anyone could help. Had a Battery panel fault on the unit and have since replaced the Battery. Powered off the mains and replaced the battery but still receiving a low battery warning and Alarm and fault light still flashing. Alarm randomly goes off also.

Any help would be great.

What panel do you have?
    On HKC newer systems you need the engineer code to reset the battery timer.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Gomango

Have same panel as kooga post #43.

Searched through previous posts but none have the same fault.

The last number of times i set and unset the alarm it displayed line fault with amber light permanently on.

My wife set it this morning she said it would not set.

Anyone know what "line fault" indicates?

Have you monitoring or self-monitoring on this system?

Have you monitoring or self-monitoring on this system?

It's self monitoring.

I came home this evening and it appears to be setting and unsetting OK now. But still with line fault message.

I have just moved in and have no telephone line set up. Could this be the fault?

Gomango wrote: »
    It's self monitoring.

I came home this evening and it appears to be setting and unsetting OK now. But still with line fault message.

I have just moved in and have no telephone line set up. Could this be the fault?

Yes that is the fault, the alarm is telling you that there is an issue with your phone line

I'll add putting a sim card in the system to my DIY list.

Not overly concerned about it now that it is arming and unsetting properly.

Thanks for replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 bananaman8

I've come across this thread following a battery low fault error on an HKC alarm. I'd like to get a replacement battery and fit it. This thread shows various spec batteries for the alarm so Im not sure which it is. Before I go opening the panel and activating or even resetting the system, would anyone have an engineers manual? I just have the short user manual which is limited. Thanks.

bananaman8 wrote: »
    I've come across this thread following a battery low fault error on an HKC alarm. I'd like to get a replacement battery and fit it. This thread shows various spec batteries for the alarm so Im not sure which it is. Before I go opening the panel and activating or even resetting the system, would anyone have an engineers manual? I just have the short user manual which is limited. Thanks.

Due to copyright we cannot pass on manuals anymore, what HKC panel have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bananaman8

kub wrote: »
    Due to copyright we cannot pass on manuals anymore, what HKC panel have you got?

Understood. Thanks anyway. It's a HKC Securewatch, standard phone watch installation about 10 years ago.

bananaman8 wrote: »
    Understood. Thanks anyway. It's a HKC Securewatch, standard phone watch installation about 10 years ago.

Get yourself a 12 volt 7 amp battery and change it out, just be careful as there is mains inside the panel, our usual advice is to switch off the mains power first.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭comfort

I currently have this problem also.
    As you can see in the attached photo it is a Panel Battery Fault.
    The alarm is 10 years old
    The alarms seems to go off at random times but infrequently.
    is this due to the Battery Fault ?

Is the battery behind this panel or the larger panel about the size of a show box?
    I was told once that it was like a watch Battery which is why I thought it would be the panel you see in the photo.

This would be my first time asking about and aiming to carry it out myself seeing as it is only a Battery.

All help and advice greatly appreciated.

comfort wrote: »
    I currently have this problem also.
    As you can see in the attached photo it is a Panel Battery Fault.
    The alarm is 10 years old
    The alarms seems to go off at random times but infrequently.
    is this due to the Battery Fault ?

Is the battery behind this panel or the larger panel about the size of a show box?
    I was told once that it was like a watch Battery which is why I thought it would be the panel you see in the photo.

This would be my first time asking about and aiming to carry it out myself seeing as it is only a Battery.

All help and advice greatly appreciated.

The battery is located in the main control panel, that is the keypad.
    A 12V 7Amp battery is what is needed. There is live mains inside the control panel just to be aware off.
    When you open the control panel; the alarm will sound but putting in your user code will silence this.
    Replace making sure of polarity connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭travist

The battery is located in the main control panel, that is the keypad.
    A 12V 7Amp battery is what is needed. There is live mains inside the control panel just to be aware off.
    When you open the control panel; the alarm will sound but putting in your user code will silence this.
    Replace making sure of polarity connections.

I hope this hasn't been answered elsewhere... I am thinking of changing the battery myself cause the internal bell rang when the electricity went recently so I guess it is dead (and the panel says battery fault for a few months now).

When opening the alarm box, I understand the alarm will start ringing... and entering the code should stop it. But I have read a few threads where it did not stop. So my question is, if I enter the code and it does not work, how long would it ring for without mains electricity? (HKC Securewatch, non-monitored alarm).

To be 100% before you remove the power make sure the factory link is in place. Its a small plastic link sitting on 2 pins marked LK1,
    As long as that's there there should be no fear of the panel defaulting & the code not working.
    If its a HKC secure-watch this is the battery you need.
    79562.jpg
    Its 12volt DC 7amp.
    If you remove the mains power & the battery the external bell may sound but you will be able to dis arm once you replace the battery and return the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭travist

To be 100% before you remove the power make sure the factory link is in place. Its a small plastic link sitting on 2 pins marked LK1,
    As long as that's there there should be no fear of the panel defaulting & the code not working.
    If its a HKC secure-watch this is the battery you need.
    79562.jpg
    Its 12volt DC 7amp.
    If you remove the mains power & the battery the external bell may sound but you will be able to dis arm once you replace the battery and return the power.

Thanks KoolKid

And just to know, opening the box would set off the alarm?

• Advertisement

Opening the panel should activate the alarm. If you remove the mains power & the battery the internal bell will stop & the external will continue to ring. Once you replace the battery & re apply the power you can disarm as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 macattack177

Hi guys my HKC alarm has being showing panel battery fail for ages and has started to go off even when not armed. So I turned it off at the mains and disconnected the battery and put a meter on it and it reads 13.1volts and ideas? There is not battery in the key pad.
    Cheers Cormac

Hi guys my HKC alarm has being showing panel battery fail for ages and has started to go off even when not armed. So I turned it off at the mains and disconnected the battery and put a meter on it and it reads 13.1volts and ideas? There is not battery in the key pad.
    Cheers Cormac

There is no battery in the keypad unless its wirefree.
    You can get a reading but testing with load applied will give you a more accurate results.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭sassyj

Hi all, I have the HKC panel - installed 2009. Battery replacement long overdue, i have opened panel and it says BS127N, so it's a 12V 7.2A battery. Can I confirm that the Y7-12 battery mentioned here is ok for a replacement?
    thanks,

That would be fine yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Our self monitored hkc alarm has started to show the "panel battery fault". Is it normal for it to require a new battery after 5 year's ?

• Advertisement

Our self monitored hkc alarm has started to show the "panel battery fault". Is it normal for it to require a new battery after 5 year's ?

5/7 years depending on location on main control panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭claw14

HI Folks,
    My local Battery world store has a 12V 7.5ah in stock. Will this be ok for a HKC 812 panel? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Can never get my head around Voltage and amps

claw14 wrote: »
    HI Folks,
    My local Battery world store has a 12V 7.5ah in stock. Will this be ok for a HKC 812 panel? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Can never get my head around Voltage and amps

Should be all good but battery size can differ.

If you can take out the old battery and bring it with you when going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭claw14

Thanks,
    If I disconnect the power and take the battery out of the panel. Will the outside bell/siren go off ? I am guessing the keypad will be dead with power and battery gone.

claw14 wrote: »
    Thanks,
    If I disconnect the power and take the battery out of the panel. Will the outside bell/siren go off ? I am guessing the keypad will be dead with power and battery gone.

If you disconnect the mains and control panel battery is dead then yes the system will power off and the external bell should ring.

How long depends on battery in external bell or if a shutoff timer is on the bell itself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement