Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom renovations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭20/20

ebayissues wrote: »
    Within the past 12 months, I've gotten bathroom quotes from 10- 12k. My bathroom is under 10m2. For labur all charged 3.5k , 1.5k in extra and materials rest.

Pricey

What part of bathroom measures 10m2 ? Was is a wet room.

1.5k in extra and materials rest. ?? What do you mean or what are you trying to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

The size of my bathroom is under 10m2. It will have a walk in shower + free standing bath.

The 1.5k was misellanouus expenses, no full idea what it was - skip, tanking materials, grout etc. All the quotes had them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

listermint wrote: »
    Advise them to pull up the floor boards and re-enforce the joists as you did is sounder advice . Tanking won't solve a bending joist :)

It might prevent a lot worse.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭20/20

ebayissues wrote: »
    The size of my bathroom is under 10m2. It will have a walk in shower + free standing bath.

That is not the full room , just the walls in shower area. ?

The 1.5k was misellanouus expenses, no full idea what it was - skip, tanking materials, grout etc. All the quotes had them.

Why would you bother with a quote when you dont even know what €1500 is for. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I had local guy that was meant to come today and talk to us about the bathrooms. I also had a partial kitchen renovation for him as well.

D'ya think he turned up. DID HE F*CK ! Didn't even bother calling me. He lives 5 minutes from me.

The biggest challenge we're going to have is to get someone to do the work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭CoBo55

D3V!L wrote: »
    I had local guy that was meant to come today and talk to us about the bathrooms. I also had a partial kitchen renovation for him as well.

D'ya think he turned up. DID HE F*CK ! Didn't even bother calling me. He lives 5 minutes from me.

The biggest challenge we're going to have is to get someone to do the work.

Did you try the guy I pm'd you? Are you in the Wexford area? I can get you the number of another guy who's highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Did you try the guy I pm'd you? Are you in the Wexford area? I can get you the number of another guy who's highly recommended.

I'm in North county Dublin so he likely couldn't do it.

D3V!L wrote: »
    I'm in North county Dublin so he likely couldn't do it.

Not in the present situation. Might be able to get a Dublin guy for you I know someone who got a bathroom done recently in Dublin, I'll give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

listermint wrote: »
    Advise them to pull up the floor boards and re-enforce the joists as you did is sounder advice . Tanking won't solve a bending joist :)

I didn't even think of mentioning that because my job was ground floor, on concrete. But yeah, working off a solid base is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭bamayang

Just finished 2.2m c 2.2m en suite refurb.
    Demoed it all out myself, which was a thoroughly unenjoyable experience.
    New vanity, fancy back light mirror, new shower frameless shower unit with tiled shower tray. Tiles floor to ceiling, tanking kit etc
    All materials and equipment € 4,500 (but he threw in 20m2 of timber flooring in that)
    Plumber 350
    Tiler (fit the shower unit as well) €800.

All the shower/vanity/glass were fairly high end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Paid 3300 in labour recently for full renovation including relocation of radiator to different wall north Louth area took 3.5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

bamayang wrote: »
    Just finished 2.2m c 2.2m en suite refurb.
    Demoed it all out myself, which was a thoroughly unenjoyable experience.
    New vanity, fancy back light mirror, new shower frameless shower unit with tiled shower tray. Tiles floor to ceiling, tanking kit etc
    All materials and equipment € 4,500 (but he threw in 20m2 of timber flooring in that)
    Plumber 350
    Tiler (fit the shower unit as well) €800.

All the shower/vanity/glass were fairly high end.

You did very well there for a top class job.

The small things wouldn't be long adding up but clearing it all out before the tradesmen come in to do their work pays off in the end.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Nousheen

Wesser wrote: »
    My bathroom is 1.7 m by 2.3 m and i did it up last year absolutely gorgeous for just under 4k

Hi can you please give me the contact of the person who did it for you thanks

minzabud wrote: »
    Paid 3300 in labour recently for full renovation including relocation of radiator to different wall north Louth area took 3.5 days.

Hi I would really appreciate if you can give me the number of person who did it for you thanks

Hi do you know someone in cabinteely or fox rock area thanks I want to get my bathroom renovated and want one small bathroom ground floor as my house is 3 bed & one bathroom

minzabud wrote: »

Hi I would really appreciate if you can give me the number of person who did it for you thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

Not ready to start until next month, I got 3 quotes, all came in around the same, bathroom 2.3 x 2.3 not very big.

Went with the company that had the best personal reviews as I tracked down people who they did work for.

Labour includes, preparing the bathroom, removal of old sanitary ware, taking down the old tiles, waste skip bathroom will be literally gutted and then plumbing, electric work and tiler. They look after everything. Arrive on a Monday and finished by Friday.

Cost €5,800 including VAT, Sanitary ware, electric shower, tiles, lights etc.. I think highish spec another €4,500 - €5,000

Looking at prices here maybe I'm paying above the odds but the good reviews and start on a Monday and finished by Friday means a lot to me, I know I could do a lot myself but for the professional job I'd prefer to pay the couple of thousand extra.

Dymo wrote: »
    Not ready to start until next month, I got 3 quotes, all came in around the same, bathroom 2.3 x 2.3 not very big.

Went with the company that had the best personal reviews as I tracked down people who they did work for.

Labour includes, preparing the bathroom, removal of old sanitary ware, taking down the old tiles, waste skip bathroom will be literally gutted and then plumbing, electric work and tiler. They look after everything. Arrive on a Monday and finished by Friday.

Cost €5,800 including VAT, Sanitary ware, electric shower, tiles, lights etc.. I think highish spec another €4,500 - €5,000

Looking at prices here maybe I'm paying above the odds but the good reviews and start on a Monday and finished by Friday means a lot to me, I know I could do a lot myself but for the professional job I'd prefer to pay the couple of thousand extra.

Mine was done from top to bottom, started on Monday finished on Friday, had a shower on Saturday morning €6400

Nousheen wrote: »
    Hi do you know someone in cabinteely or fox rock area thanks I want to get my bathroom renovated and want one small bathroom ground floor as my house is 3 bed & one bathroom

Couldn't get the number of the Dublin based guy, he only works on a word of mouth basis(probably a bit of cash too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

Mine was done from top to bottom, started on Monday finished on Friday, had a shower on Saturday morning €6400

Oh, I'm sorry I didn't know this thread was a competition.

I thought this was a post where someone asked a question and people gave their own experiences.

• Advertisement

Dymo wrote: »
    Oh, I'm sorry I didn't know this thread was a competition.

I thought this was a post where someone asked a question and people gave their own experiences.

That's what I did (gave you my own experience).
    What's with the arrogance?
    On seeing the quotes others got here I think I did well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 PocoRoco88

Stupid question incoming: What's a 'water leak test'

Was the tanking easy? Looks pretty straightforward based on YouTube and some guides I looked at online....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 PocoRoco88

Any idea how much a standard en-suite or main bathroom would cost to strip out?

Wondering if it's worth my while to get the brothers in for a day or two to give me a hand...presuming it would save a chunk

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭noplacehere

I don't think you are to be honest, how long is a piece of string. Its a very small bathroom, switched to an L shaped bath to accommodate the shower, switched to a sink without pedestal to get floor space and moved/changed the radiator to a shallow towel rail. We did ours in the last two years, full strip out, new style sink, recess shelf, new tank and pump, all fittings. He collaborated with the gas boiler guy who ran a cable when they had it stripped. We paid 7.5k I think in the end. He's also left the pipework in such a way that when we eventually do the ensuite the pumped water is ready to go just take down the plasterboard. Quotes up to 15k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Yeah I'd strip it and project manage it myself, will save a lot... have dome it several times

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭wibago

I am remodeling a bathroom and could use some advice. The vanity light is on a 15A circuit shared by another room's lights. The receptacle is on a 20A circuit shared by the other bathrooms and fed by a 20A GFCI breaker. I was wanting to install a fan and a light in the shower. I am wondering if they need to be on a GFCI circuit or can they simply be added to the 15A light circuit? And if they need to be GFCI protected, would it be better to run a new 20A circuit to this bath and remove it from the other circuits so that I can have the lights and receptacle on one circuit? The light I bought for the shower is rated for that use and the fan is just a vent, no heater or integrated light fixture. By the way, I am an electronics engineer with 20 yrs experience: 15 yrs in embedded microprocessor systems for missile guidance systems and now I work for Square D designing metering products. I have done some home wiring in the past, but that was before I had designed products that had to go through safety testing (UL 508, IEC 61010-1, etc.) So I am knowledgeable, but still somewhat new to the electrical code, and I just want to do things right so that it will be safe and legal when it comes time to sell the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Only a REC can do any electrical work in the bathroom. This includes light fitting & fans. You will get better advice on the electrical forum

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭slystallone

had you to organise sparky tiler and plumber all separate?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭slystallone

When doing up a bathroom, how big of a job is it to move position of sink, toilet, shower and bath? Or does it depend on the situation? i'm guessing it is something they would be well used to - as me looking high level as a non plumber imagine that moving those and setting up drainage from the new positions etc would be a labour intensive part of the process.

• Advertisement

If it's an upstairs bathroom on a wooden floor it's easy enough, a downstairs one on a concrete floor is a lot more hassle.

Advertisement