Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Oven To Wall Behind Fireplace - No-go?

Options
  • 23-02-2021 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

This one is possibly a stupid question but I'll ask anyways.

I'm in the middle of a kitchen re-design at the moment and I'm thinking about moving the oven to another wall. The problem is that the location where it would make most sense to put it is right behind the fireplace/chimney.

Is it a complete no-no to re-wire the oven to this wall due to heat from the chimney?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I'm in the middle of a kitchen re-design at the moment and I'm thinking about moving the oven to another wall. The problem is that the location where it would make most sense to put it is right behind the fireplace/chimney.

Is it a complete no-no to re-wire the oven to this wall due to heat from the chimney?

My gut feeling is that it won't be an issue unless the temperature are really high. However that is just a guess, it is important to check this out properly.

What is you concern, the cable supplying the oven getting to hot or the oven getting too hot?

I suggest by finding how hot things can get. Then look at the cable data sheet so that you can check that the temperature does not exceed what is permitted (not good if the insulation melts!!).
    and the oven data sheet (or possibly email the oven manufacturer).

A high ambient temperature may mean that the cable size would have to be increased as current carrying capacity reduces as the temperature increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

this is taken from the building regs TGDs so you would not be able to chase the wall directly behind the fire place for the cable you would be able to mount cabinets /oven to the wall. will leave it up to 2011 to say weather you could surface mount cable behind cabinets.

2.5.6 Combustible material: Combustible
    material should be separated from a masonry
    chimney or a flueblock chimney by at least the
    following distance:
    (a) 200 mm from a flue

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

dathi wrote: »
    this is taken from the building regs TGDs so you would not be able to chase the wall directly behind the fire place for the cable you would be able to mount cabinets /oven to the wall. will leave it up to 2011 to say weather you could surface mount cable behind cabinets.

Building regaultions are imprtant alright, good point.

You could batten the wall out and slab (on the oven side). This would hide the cable and reduce the ambient temperature that the cable would be exposed to. Surface installing the ecable would be permitted but could look quite ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

The cable that feeds the oven probably won’t have to be chased into the wall. It can be fed from an isolator 2 mts away (either under the kicker or an adjacent unit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Chomper.

I can't see it being an issue if it's the chimney in the room behind?

There's general wiring rules for this type situation and manufacturers instructions on ambient temperature, not sure on building regs.?

Ovens don't dissipate (waste ) much heat now, and should be able to operate in a reasonably high ambient temperature

• Advertisement
Advertisement