Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glenroe

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭George White

And Arthur O'Sullivan from Barry Lyndon, and Ruth Durley, who unlike the others are credited.

Quite a few uncredited, and so far unknown Irish actors (like a lot of these films shot here, back then - I remember Jonathan Rigby having great difficulty trying to track down the actors in Vengeance of Fu Manchu when doing his audio commentary, going to Abbey archives and looking through programmes and stuff). The girl playing the daughter, there's a guy in it who really looks like Vic Reeves/Jim Moir, a few other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Was looking for something else but as you do went down a rabbit hole. Schedule from Sunday November 19 1983. The synopsis of the Glenroe episode sounds like they were doing a "who shot J.R.?" type storyline. Was this the time Mary's husband (not Dick, the guy before him) beat her up, refered to by a couple of posters?

Post edited by Hangdogroad on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Episode 9 was when the attack happened as far as I remember.

Think that was the aftermath the following week.

Mary was beaten badly by her elderly husband Michael. So much so that my mother said "murdered" when the camera zoomed in on her face as she lay on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭cml387

1983 was also the year that RTE showed the ill fated comedy "Amanda's By The Sea" which starred a pre- Golden Girls Bea Arthur and was another attempt by the American networks to adapt Fawlty Towers.

This from Wikipedia:

John Cleese: The most extraordinary remake was with Bea Arthur. I remember at a party I met these chaps from Viacom, who said they were working on a new Fawlty Towers. My ears pricked up at the sound of cash registers and said, "That's wonderful, are you going to change anything?" They said, "Well we have changed one thing, we've written Basil out". And that's absolutely true, they took Basil and Sybil's lines and gave them all to Bea Arthur.

It was cancelled before the end of its run. Bea Arthur must have thought "That's me finished " . Little did she know….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,444 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Grim memories of the standard TV choices on a Saturday or Sunday there, particularly the crappiest of crap 1940s and 1950s movies, which didn't do a lot for a young lad in the Dublin suburbs. I did like Gemini Man, the lad who could press a button on his watch to go invisible iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,142 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Im surprised the Sunday night primetime movie was from 1958! Yikes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I remember watching that Cinderela movie the Glass Slipper that night. Think I probably watched Gemini Man as well. Didnt see Glenroe as I consciously avoided it for the first few months it was on. I can remember the advance promos and thinking it looked like Emmerdale Farm (RTE had begun showing that earlier in the year)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭cml387

Remember RTE were essentially broke, trying to fill two channels with declining ad revenue in a deep recession. They didn't even send a song to the Eurovision that year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That would be the equivalent of a 1999 movie today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,142 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Stop, you're scaring me :)

I know films took a long time to come to TV screens back then, but even so, I'd have thought a 1958 would already have been shown, but maybe not.

It's not like it is an especially renowned \ award winning film.

The particular film looked perfect for a Sunday afternoon though.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

It seems strange now that Dinny was considered a suspect, given his general image in Glenroe as a loveable rogue. I do remember hints of a dark side to him, like the episode from circa mid 90s that ended appearing to show him shooting Sylvie with a shotgun (followup episode revealed he was shooting a fox.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭George White

Weirdly a few years earlier, the failed Harvey Korman remake Snavely starred Betty White as Sybil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,444 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The first Glenroe episode I remember seeing in full was part two of a two episode storyline where Biddy and Mary are held hostage by armed raiders. I'd been trying to identify it in recent years without success, till now. Id assumed it was from the first series but turns out it was October 1985 (third series?) when Glenroe was already on air for two years.

It was pretty funny, the raiders force Biddy and Mary to cook them breakfast and one guy has his balaclava on the whole time, one of his buddies admonishes him for not taking it off when eating. Miley later tackles balaclava lad while yer man is pointing a sawn off shotgun at him. It got a lot of complaints including letters to Arthur Murphys Mailbag. (Sunday Press October 13th 1985)

Post edited by Hangdogroad on

I thought I had already replied to this.

Anyway, in that aftermath episode Carol McDermott suggested that Dinny was responsible. She was posh and saw Dinny and Miley as rough and unsophisticated.

Dinny had a dark side in Bracken. His actions drove Miley to England.

A few more contemporary letters and articles about the Glenroe burglars storyline.

Ive just vague memories of Uncle Peter, the character who Cyril Cusack guest starred as circa 85/86. What was the story with him? Did he have some kind of murky past, and whose uncle was he (Mileys?)

A bit of a drifter who I think outstayed his welcome. Miley's uncle - think he was a brother of Miley's mother. Shifty character with an annoying wisping voice who muttered a lot.

There was also a priest Fr Jim who was Dinny's brother - appeared in a couple of episodes.

Coincidentally tonight I watched The Italian Connection (1972) and Cyril Cusack is in it.

Advertisement