Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Completely Unnecessary Podcast

• 26-03-2014 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

I've been watching a fair few of these, & some of them are pretty interesting. So rather than creating a new thread for each subject, maybe a thread devoted to the podcasts & their associated discussion would be good?

This most recent one, is pretty interesting. What Pat is saying about 'auction psychology' definitely rings true for me anyway, & explains why in the past I've been reckless in terms of auction bidding (I'm currently in the lead, that item is MINE!!!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Something we've discussed here a few times. Not sure I'd agree with the guys this time

One for Steve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

Myrddin wrote: »
    Something we've discussed here a few times. Not sure I'd agree with the guys this time

I think that the main reason that the PS2 won't really be as collectible (in a sense, cos there are rare games out there) as say the NES is cos it's the best selling console of all time, nearly everyone in the world had one, or at least new someone that did, so there's an absolute crapload of stuff available for the machine at the minute. It's still retro though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

One for Steve

He's right about the stock for sure. You gotta have a crap load when you open up.
    And customer service is key. Also, I don't like the massive douchebag atmosphere in certain retro shops in town, it sends me into a RAGE to say the least ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Steve SI wrote: »
    He's right about the stock for sure. You gotta have a crap load when you open up.
    And customer service is key. Also, I don't like the massive douchebag atmosphere in certain retro shops in town, it sends me into a RAGE to say the least ;)

Are you still opening up a store Steve? I could go for some Steve Si prices coupled with the obligatory boards discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Are you still opening up a store Steve? I could go for some Steve Si prices coupled with the obligatory boards discount.

Yeah it's still in the works, but will have to be more than just a retro shop to be sustainable(I've got plans and potential partners but no point talking about it at all yet). I've been building up stock for it over the last couple years so that side of things is healthy.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Yeah it's still in the works, but will have to be more than just a retro shop to be sustainable(I've got plans and potential partners but no point talking about it at all yet). I've been building up stock for it over the last couple years so that side of things is healthy.

:pac: Food and vanilla lattes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Been watching these myself the last while. I do enjoy the entire podcast as well. The 2 lads are well informed and really talk about collecting from a practical point of view, for the most part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Doge

I've been watching a fair few of these, & some of them are pretty interesting. So rather than creating a new thread for each subject, maybe a thread devoted to the podcasts & their associated discussion would be good?

This most recent one, is pretty interesting. What Pat is saying about 'auction psychology' definitely rings true for me anyway, & explains why in the past I've been reckless in terms of auction bidding (I'm currently in the lead, that item is MINE!!!)

They're spot on about the possessive element that may lead you to bid more than you should, but i cannot relate to the "shame" factor of getting outbid.

Even when the bidders usernames were public, shame never came into it for me.

Does anyone on here feel ashamed if they are outbid out if interest?

I'd be more worried about the disappointment of not getting the item i thought i'd get, and i would be inclined to bid a bit higher to avoid that disappointment.

I would imagine the amount of people that would feel ashamed are in the extreme minority.

waveform wrote: »
    They're spot on about the possessive element that may lead you to bid more than you should, but i cannot relate to the "shame" factor of getting outbid.

Even when the bidders usernames were public, shame never came into it for me.

Does anyone on here feel ashamed if they are outbid out if interest?

I'd be more worried about the disappointment of not getting the item i thought i'd get, and i would be inclined to bid a bit higher to avoid that disappointment.

I would imagine the amount of people that would feel ashamed are in the extreme minority.

Nah they are waffling a bit about the shame side of it. One thing that gets me is regret when you miss out on an item that went for a great price and if only I had bidded that little bit more.If that item comes up again, I tend to get a little bit reckless with bidding and the whole possession malarky comes into it then.

• Advertisement

Never got the 'shame' element either, but definitely the 'will to win it at all costs' has struck me a few times....auction psychology etc

Some recent topics of interest

Will arcades make a comeback?

Rude customers & Politness (Retro/Gaming Stores)

What defines a Retro gamer?

Interesting topic, though here in Ireland I'm not sure how applicable it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Never heard of this stigma! Definitely doesn't apply here due to our limited supply.

As for the video, couldn't watch that to the end, the guy on the left is an insufferable pretentious hipster :pac:

'..but I waited and I waited and I got them through my record store. I supported a local business...'

Well la-de-dah Mr. Record store, you can rest easy this evening knowing you are saving local businesses. Have a highly customized celebratory coffee and listen to Mumford and Sons on your portable turntable.

One of their main points is that people buy on ebay 'in bulk' .

I know I for one, don't and in actual fact, my 'bulk' buys have always been in car boots or through the channels they seem to be advocating. If I was in America I'd be going around car boots hoovering everything up like a black hole.

On the other hand, when I buy on ebay, I select exact items I want and that tends to be it. Highly customized purchases.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Never heard of this stigma! Definitely doesn't apply here due to our limited supply.

As for the video, couldn't watch that to the end, the guy on the left is an insufferable pretentious hipster :pac:

'..but I waited and I waited and I got them through my record store. I supported a local business...'

Well la-de-dah Mr. Record store, you can rest easy this evening knowing you are saving local businesses. Have a highly customized celebratory coffee and listen to Mumford and Sons on your portable turntable.

One of their main points is that people buy on ebay 'in bulk' .

I know I for one, don't and in actual fact, my 'bulk' buys have always been in car boots or through the channels they seem to be advocating. If I was in America I'd be going around car boots hoovering everything up like a black hole.

On the other hand, when I buy on ebay, I select exact items I want and that tends to be it. Highly customized purchases.

I thought it was a tough watch too, the chap on the left particularly hard to listen to (reminds me of the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons). Never heard of the stigma or 'bad rap' they mention either. Tbh there's a slight whiff of snobbery and/or jealousy among folks giving out about others buying from ebay. Who cares how other folk get their games? So what if they buy in bulk and lose interest later. Big deal if prices temporarily go up, wait until they come back down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah Ian was really insufferable in that clip. In most of the videos he does make some good points but he always manages to be a real dickhead about them. Real case of "well that's your opinion and my opinion is better than yours"

Point Pat makes about how much less it him though is interesting. Pat seems like a legit nice fella aswell.

About that actual video. Easy for the 2 lads to speculate about this. Watch any of pats flea market videos and you can see what he finds. One day at any of those would add up to years worth of finds from any car boot sales ive been to.For a lot of people, myself included, eBay and other online options are the only way to source games, along with a lot of other things im into

Yeah Ian was really insufferable in that clip. In most of the videos he does make some good points but he always manages to be a real dickhead about them. Real case of "well that's your opinion and my opinion is better than yours"

Point Pat makes about how much less it him though is interesting. Pat seems like a legit nice fella aswell.

About that actual video. Easy for the 2 lads to speculate about this. Watch any of pats flea market videos and you can see what he finds. One day at any of those would add up to years worth of finds from any car boot sales ive been to.For a lot of people, myself included, eBay and other online options are the only way to source games, along with a lot of other things im into

Agreed, Ian definitely can come across as pretentious & 'hipster'y' at times. He can make some good well thought out points too. Pat does seem like a genuinely decent chap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I really enjoy what they both bring to the podcast in terms of their experience collecting, Pat having built his NES collection the hard way and Ian running a couple of shops. Actually, the latter's anecdotes on optimistic, slightly scuzzy customers are brilliant, like guys trying to work the store with 'hey, I'm looking for an old NES game, you might have of heard it.....Stadium Events?' after it'd gone for a few grand, or the now cliche auld pairs popping in with a crate of common faff and getting ifity when they're not walking out with four figures.

Watched the Ecstasy of Order the other night and was surprised to see Pat pop up in the last 20 minutes as host of the Tetris tournament. Chap gets around and seems to be able to do just about anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I can see why people look at Ian as a hipster but for the most part he's interesting enough to listen to. I get the feeling that Pat is the more intelligent of the two and pretty much always asks the question and lets Ian rant and then gives a more thought out answer. Ian just says what comes into his head.

Pat does seem like a decent bloke but at the same time some of his supposedly funny skits he does are just awful to watch. I like listening to his opinions though.

I like the unnecessary podcast in general though I have to say. Its one I look forward to a new episode of sad as that may be.

ps... What is Ian always drinkin? Is it beer or an energy drink or what? I'd guess energy drink as he always looks jittery.

Pat does seem like a decent bloke but at the same time some of his supposedly funny skits he does are just awful to watch. I like listening to his opinions though.

His humour definitely has a quirky side. I guess you have to do something different if you're to stand out, & while that in itself doesn't guarantee quality...I appreciate the effort of trying to break the mold of the whole 'angry retro review' thing. It's the same reason why I love 16bit Gems, it's just different. Not that I don't like AVGN or anything, I do, he perfected something nobody else was doing at the time...but the many clones of his style don't appeal to me.

I'd somewhat agree, but I think it's an issue with a lot of these user-uploaded personalities. The democratization of entertainment and the ensuing inclusiveness is lovely, but a lot of these lads, ladies and variations thereupon noticeably suffer from having a lack of other voices present in the production, from pulling back on a particular bit to properly accentuating the pluses. In my experiences with Pat, he tends the lean more on the plus side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

His humour definitely has a quirky side. I guess you have to do something different if you're to stand out, & while that in itself doesn't guarantee quality...I appreciate the effort of trying to break the mold of the whole 'angry retro review' thing. It's the same reason why I love 16bit Gems, it's just different. Not that I don't like AVGN or anything, I do, he perfected something nobody else was doing at the time...but the many clones of his style don't appeal to me.

I hear what youre saying. Personally its just not for me. Maybe its that I see a guy that I dont feel should have to be funny to get atttention. It reminds me of a friend I once had who on his own was a lovely fella and would talk to you in a normal way but once he got in to a group was a complete ass, talked to everyone in a different way, etc.. Anyway just the way I see it.
    Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I'd somewhat agree, but I think it's an issue with a lot of these user-uploaded personalities. The democratization of entertainment and the ensuing inclusiveness is lovely, but a lot of these lads, ladies and variations thereupon noticeably suffer from having a lack of other voices present in the production, from pulling back on a particular bit to properly accentuating the pluses. In my experiences with Pat, he tends the lean more on the plus side.

Yeah he does lean more to the plus side imo as well mainly because of this unnecessary podcast and other interviews etc I've watched from the retroware end of things. He's the sort of lad I'd love to have a pint with and just listen to him talk all things nes.

Maybe its that I see a guy that I dont feel should have to be funny to get atttention

I'd agree there, his presentation & ideas are good enough to stand on their own without having to have a humourous element. You know what they say about trying to please everyone though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

It's the same reason why I love 16bit Gems, it's just different.

It sure is. That chap has the market for waving your hands about all to himself! :P

(Not that I could do better, far from it.)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    It sure is. That chap has the market for waving your hands about all to himself! :P

(Not that I could do better, far from it.)

Ha, I know you aren't the biggest fan of Roo/16bit Gems...his reviews are SO heavy on content & with so little filler, but yet present in an interesting & insightful way...I love them tbh. I've bought quite a few of the games he features too, just a shame his episodes are so sparse.

• Advertisement

I was actually looking at footage of SM64DD last night having listened to CUP. The only key difference seems to be improved music and smoother textures, and, well, glitches.

It does make me wonder was there ever any truth to Luigi's Mansion being earmarked for the 64DD, and if so, is there a working concept floating about?; same goes for the 3D Mario for SNES and if there'd been any significant traction on that before it was shipped over, inevitably, to the 64.

This as well, can anyone explain to me what exactly the story is with it? Has someone obtained official Sega CG-R's with the correct authentication ring, & is simply burning the Snatcher iso onto them & printing on the artwork??

They don't even come with the ISO seemingly, you're just paying for a blank, artworked disc.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    They don't even come with the ISO seemingly, you're just paying for a blank, artworked disc.

Sorry yeah, no data on the disk /derp. What I meant was, how the hell will the disc play in the real Sega CD...are they legit Sega blanks?

Sorry yeah, no data on the disk /derp. What I meant was, how the hell will the disc play in the real Sega CD...are they legit Sega blanks?

Pretty sure it's just a standard CD-R with the artwork printed on.

Heres one of the 3 auctions:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Snatcher-Sega-CD-Game-Disk-Print-/301231747069?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4622cfaffd

TBH, i can't see where the "scam" is here according to Podcast.

Sure it's illegal to print copyrighted artwork, but the seller seems to be quite transparent that its not a real game.

It even has "disk print" in the title.

And there is certainly no mention of the word "rare" in the listing.

I think they'd be better off dedicating their "Scumbag of the week" idea to actual scammers....

TBH, i can't see where the "scam" is here according to Podcast.

So it's just a cd-r with the Snatcher artwork printed on it? Think I'd agree with you here, it's hardly something you'd buy & think is legit in that case...primarily because the disc won't even boot! It's a novelty disc is all :confused:

• Advertisement

So it's just a cd-r with the Snatcher artwork printed on it? Think I'd agree with you here, it's hardly something you'd buy & think is legit in that case...primarily because the disc won't even boot! It's a novelty disc is all :confused:

Exactly. The seller is just offering a cd labeling service for Sega CD games, check out this other auction:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-CD-Game-Disk-Print-/301232688661?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4622de0e15&nma=true&si=72MQHgY5V8LQA58KwlS9uLgqaDY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It would basically be for people who want to burn the iso to it, and have a nice looking backup disc, people who don't want to shell out loads for the original game in other words.

I think the lads totally jumped the gun on this one.

They're coming from the point of view that they don't want to see counterfeit Snatcher discs coming into their shop, and people getting scammed as a result of these discs.

But calling the person who just prints the disc the scammer is a bit silly imo.

It would basically be for people who want to burn the iso to it, and have a nice looking backup disc, people who don't want to shell out loads for the original game in other words.

I think the lads totally jumped the gun on this one.

They're coming from the point of view that they don't want to see counterfeit Snatcher discs coming into their shop, and people getting scammed as a result of these discs.

But calling the person who just prints the disc the scammer is a bit silly imo.

Actually hang on a sec, the Mega CD/Sega CD has no copy protection...I forgot that..so while the seller isn't doing anything legally wrong here, I suppose he is opening the door to repro discs...

Actually hang on a sec, the Mega CD/Sega CD has no copy protection...I forgot that..so while the seller isn't doing anything legally wrong here, I suppose he is opening the door to repro discs...

Yeah i only found out about that a few minutes ago after a google to see if it can play copied discs.

Celforsale retaliated by putting a listing called "Pat The NES Punk Disk Print"....

https://www.google.ie/search?q=301236550263

lmao!

Here's a cached page of the listing, for some reason Google's own hidden cached button doesn't work?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pat-The-NES-Punk-Disk-Print-/301236550263

$_35.JPG

Had to use this site to get the link above:

http://www.cachedpages.com/

Lol, for god sake :D

• Advertisement

Advertisement